Excessive string breakage with Wilkinson brass roller bridge

One of the most valuable places you can go to make your guitar right. Don't guess, ask an expert and trade tips. professional guitar techs and service's people are welcome. If your into guitar repair or just into working on your guitars, this is the place to stop in and share your knowledge or ask for help.

Excessive string breakage with Wilkinson brass roller bridge

Postby Bigsbyman on Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:36 am

Recently I purchased a RI Ampeg Dan Armstrong guitar, the later RI with the Wilkinson locking roller bridge. Mine came with a third, custom-ordered PU that sounds like a P90. LOVE it. But I broke a D string just before my last gig, and broke other strings in the two weeks prior to that. I RARELY break strings, so this is unususal. I use a 2 mm Tortex pick, and at times I play hard. I only use GHS Nickel Rocker 10's on all my 6-string guitars. I've never broken this many strings on the same guitar on a weekly basis. Getting concerned that the guitar isn't gig-worthy due to string breakage. However, this is supposed to be a good bridge. All of my strings break at the bridge. It's a roller bridge, I'm concerned that it may be impractical to file or smooth the bridge slot. Suggestions??? Please!
:?
'64 JMI Vox AC30 with original alnico blues, '72 JMP 50-watt w/4x12 Greenbacks, '76 Lead & Bass combo (tan 25-watt Celestions), '76 Superlead with TV 4x12 (greenbacks), '78 2204 with Marshall 2x12 cab (Greenbacks), '78 Hylight DR504/SA4123, '79 Fawn 2204 50-watt w/matching Fawn 4x12 (tan 25-watt Celestions), 1970's Marshall 1982AP cabinet (black back 30-watt Celestions), Matchless D/C-30, Traynor, Garnet, Leslie, Bacino, Gibson, Fender, Gretsch, Rickenbacker, Trussart, Dano, Dobro

http://www.timcaseyandthemartyrs.com
Bigsbyman
Squire

Re: Excessive string breakage with Wilkinson brass roller br

Postby Bigsbyman on Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:57 pm

Update:

I installed two chrome-plated fender washers under each side of the tailpiece. This raised the tailpiece and reduced string angles at the bridge. No more broken strings.

:cheers:
'64 JMI Vox AC30 with original alnico blues, '72 JMP 50-watt w/4x12 Greenbacks, '76 Lead & Bass combo (tan 25-watt Celestions), '76 Superlead with TV 4x12 (greenbacks), '78 2204 with Marshall 2x12 cab (Greenbacks), '78 Hylight DR504/SA4123, '79 Fawn 2204 50-watt w/matching Fawn 4x12 (tan 25-watt Celestions), 1970's Marshall 1982AP cabinet (black back 30-watt Celestions), Matchless D/C-30, Traynor, Garnet, Leslie, Bacino, Gibson, Fender, Gretsch, Rickenbacker, Trussart, Dano, Dobro

http://www.timcaseyandthemartyrs.com
Bigsbyman
Squire

Postby 57lpjr on Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:53 pm

Good, simple fix!!!
I have more gear than I need...but not as much gear as I want...

"Roll over Woodstock - we won!" & "Music is life, and life is not a business." (Iggy Pop 3/15/10)

"but lately one or two has fully paid their due for working for the clampdown...HAH, Gitalong, Gitalong"

"I believe, believe, believe, that there's better days ahead. I believe, believe, believe, that there's a heaven before I'm dead."

"I'll play for free but I gotta get paid for breaking my s**t down at the end of the night"
57lpjr
Ampmeister

Postby stratele52 on Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:07 am

This do not explain why string break ? Defective roller ? Or bridge and stopbar was not at the proper height ? Now they are ?
stratele52
Knight

Return to Guitar Repair and Guitar Tech Tips