What software and interfaces is everybody using?

Recording systems, Software, Microphones, plugins, computers that work, the best ways to capture the sound. A good place to start figuring out that sound is here.

Re: What software and interfaces is everybody using?

Postby Dinsdale on Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:20 pm

I´ve been using a MacBook Pro, Logic Pro 8, Lynx Aurora 16, Neve 8816 Summing Mixer, Yamaha NS-10m/Genelec 1029a lately.
We recorded and mixed our new album with this equipment (+ various mic-pre´s, mics, tape recorders etc).

Check out the sounds if you´re interested! :D
Songs:
Small Steps, Giant Leaps
In The Meadows
+ Ocean Tales Medley

http://www.myspace.com/planktonsweden

/Christian
Dinsdale
Peasant

Postby plexi on Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:50 pm

That clip I just posted, The Zeppelin Tone for the Plexi 45 SE I did this Sunday. I used the same recording rig I posted with all the exact same gear. Worked really well.
plexi
Site Admin

Postby Dinsdale on Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:20 pm

That sounds really Great!! :D
Like it a lot!
/Christian

www.myspace.com/planktonsweden
Dinsdale
Peasant

Postby Selmer Fudd on Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:48 am

Sony Vegas Pro for recording and Sony Sound Forge for clean up on a Core 2 Quad 2.66 w/ 2 Gigs of ram on XP Pro with an older M-Audio 1010 (took me forever to learn, so I'm never upgrading unless it dies and can't be replaced) through a Yamaha EM-80 4 track analog mixer w/ built in preamp. If I need to record crunch/ high gain guitar late at night, I'll line in with a PodXT, but it's not the ideal. I also record some stuff direct to tape on my Nagra 4.2, mostly acoustic blues, country/western, or 60's garage/R&B influenced stuff, and capture into the DAW later or simultanuosly if I have my secretary around.

It's definitely fast enough for the all of the multitrack recording I'll ever throw at it. Some people really get nuts about having the fastest machine available to avoid clock latency issues, but even on slower machines my ears could never tell. Almost any properly configured computer over 1 Ghz w/ a stable OS will handle most audio recording demands outside of whats required in a monster pro recording studio. I use Nexus power supply, case fans, cpu heat sink, and acoustic case liner to keep it near silent, under 21 dBA at max load.
Selmer Fudd
Peasant

Postby plexi on Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:50 pm

Selmer Fudd wrote:Sony Vegas Pro for recording and Sony Sound Forge for clean up on a Core 2 Quad 2.66 w/ 2 Gigs of ram on XP Pro with an older M-Audio 1010 (took me forever to learn, so I'm never upgrading unless it dies and can't be replaced) through a Yamaha EM-80 4 track analog mixer w/ built in preamp. If I need to record crunch/ high gain guitar late at night, I'll line in with a PodXT, but it's not the ideal. I also record some stuff direct to tape on my Nagra 4.2, mostly acoustic blues, country/western, or 60's garage/R&B influenced stuff, and capture into the DAW later or simultanuosly if I have my secretary around.

It's definitely fast enough for the all of the multitrack recording I'll ever throw at it. Some people really get nuts about having the fastest machine available to avoid clock latency issues, but even on slower machines my ears could never tell. Almost any properly configured computer over 1 Ghz w/ a stable OS will handle most audio recording demands outside of whats required in a monster pro recording studio. I use Nexus power supply, case fans, cpu heat sink, and acoustic case liner to keep it near silent, under 21 dBA at max load.

Now that's what I call a Die hard.

I just wrapped thisdemo clip up using open recording and a Neumann U87. Normally I use a closed box but i had the opportunity and I needed a bigger more realistic sound. I borrowed the U87, Great mic. Wish I owned one. Still, Requires Open area recording and that means volume. I guess it's all about how bad you need to get the tone right or if it won't work in a BOX like that one I showed.
plexi
Site Admin

Postby dewey342 on Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:28 am

I am using Ableton's Live 8 Intro; (free upgrade from Live 7LE), and an M-Audio Fastrack Pro interface. I hope to come up with some good quality recordings to put on CD and upload to my website. It has been quite a while since I have used this type of setup so I am learning over again how to use it.
My last experiences were with Voyetra Midi software; Voyetra multi-interface and a Roland D5 synth for all the sounds except guitar and vocals. I then recorded and bounced as needed everything to my old Tascam 244 to create my originals years ago. Technology has came a long way since those days for sure. I hope that the Ableton software will give me good results. I was able to do some pretty decent things with my old setup, so I should be able to do wonders with this new equipment! It's the learning process that's taking the time; I'm older and slower :) plus there are so many sounds to choose from, you can just about get lost in all of it and waste a bunch of time. Sometimes I find myself having trouble seeing the forest for the tree that stands before me.
Well, here's to everything coming together! :cheers:
dewey342
Court Jester

Postby Grog on Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:24 pm

I've recently moved into this area of recording and bought the Line 6 Pod Studio UX1 which comes with Pod Farm 2.5 for amp modelling and Abelton Live Lite 7. I 've had good results from it and enjoyed playing with the different amp modules etc that it has. Some amy find the UX2 to be a better option as you can record two tracks at a time with that and it has phantom power for a condensor mic but I dont have one so its not a problem. I got the package reduced for £88 which given what the software will do seems to be a good deal. Even at the usual £109 its still worth it. The UX2 is £159, but I suspect if I upgrade I'll use a different interface than the Pod.
AC30 Super Twin(1963) S/N 9952N Rear Panel TB Head, Dynamic Bass (1968) #1153, AC30CCH, V212BN 1 x Alnico Blue 1 x Wharfdale, VBM1, AC4TV, Marshall JTM312, Gibson 347(1987), Les Paul Custom, US Fender Telecaster and Stratocaster, CIJ Jaguar HH.

http://www.myspace.com/fishheads2

The Colin Staples Blues Jam, Every Wednesday at The Navigation, Wilford St, Nottingham.
Grog
Baron

Postby Swahili Bob on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:07 pm

Tascam DP004 hardware recorder. No fraking around with latency.
Renoise for mixing, together with the Variety of Sound VST effects.

All you ever need for under 250 EUR.
Swahili Bob
Peasant

Previous

Return to Recording Gear, Mics, Software and Techniques