Will this work?

One of the most valuable places you can go to make your guitar right. Don't guess, ask an expert and trade tips. professional guitar techs and service's people are welcome. If your into guitar repair or just into working on your guitars, this is the place to stop in and share your knowledge or ask for help.

Will this work?

Postby Duppy on Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:43 pm

I want try changing the post values of my Jazzmasters rhythm circuit to 500k's and wire it to access both the neck and bridge pickup with the lead circuit staying the the same. I've drawn up a diagram, do you think it will work?

download/file.php?id=1825&mode=view
Duppy
Page

Re: Will this work?

Postby spellcaster on Sun May 26, 2013 5:09 am

I'm far from an expert, but here is my experience......I was doing a custom Duosonic build and wanted to use Jaguar/Jazzmaster roller pots. I wanted 500K pots to go with the humbucker I was using and made inquiries in several forums since I had little knowledge about the roller pots. Since the stock pots are 1 Meg, I asked and was assured by several people at various times that CTS minipots, Alpha minipots, and Bourns minipots would work. I ordered all three but found in all cases, with all brands, the body of the pots was too big to fit the mounting bracket. Eventually I had to compromise and use Fender 1 Meg pots with a capacitor to change the pot value to 500K. I've been cautioned that this will change the taper of the controls though. I'm still working on the build, so I can't tell you much about how it sounds yet.

"I know just enough to be dangerous...."
spellcaster
Peasant

Return to Guitar Repair and Guitar Tech Tips