Why no hardtail Strats?

Every brand has a home in this forum. If your like many guitarist and use guitars that are custom built or just production, your in the right place.

Why no hardtail Strats?

Postby Easto on Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:36 pm

So I'm over at the Suhr site looking at the pictures of all the latest guitars that they've shipped out and I don't see one hardtail strat. Whenever I'm browsing eBay or any other site you never see any hardtails for sale. None of the custom builders push the model at all let alone have pics on their sites.

What gives?
Easto
Certified

Re: Why no hardtail Strats?

Postby gigant0r on Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:28 am

Maybe because hardtail Strats aren't that much popular mainly because they don't sound/feel like the regular Strats. Tremolo and cavity with springs have huge impact on overall tone/feel and people tend to love it.
gigant0r
Baron

Postby Bigsbyman on Thu May 10, 2012 4:01 am

Yeah, that's probably the biggest reason why. Even though many/most people don't use the whammy bar on a Strat, the cavity and springs affect the tone. My first Strat was a 1970's hardtail: Mary-Kaye blonde with a rosewood board. I'd LOVE to have that one back. Paid about $300 for it in the early 1980's, thought it looked old and cool. Probably traded it....
'64 JMI Vox AC30 with original alnico blues, '72 JMP 50-watt w/4x12 Greenbacks, '76 Lead & Bass combo (tan 25-watt Celestions), '76 Superlead with TV 4x12 (greenbacks), '78 2204 with Marshall 2x12 cab (Greenbacks), '78 Hylight DR504/SA4123, '79 Fawn 2204 50-watt w/matching Fawn 4x12 (tan 25-watt Celestions), 1970's Marshall 1982AP cabinet (black back 30-watt Celestions), Matchless D/C-30, Traynor, Garnet, Leslie, Bacino, Gibson, Fender, Gretsch, Rickenbacker, Trussart, Dano, Dobro

http://www.timcaseyandthemartyrs.com
Bigsbyman
Squire

Postby Speedway on Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:00 am

I had a Strat with tremelo but I tend to play with my hand resting on the bridge which affected the tuning while playing so I wedged a piece of plywood into the back of the floating bridge. Strat tone with hard tail practicalities.
Speedway
Peasant

Postby GentleBen on Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:49 pm

I have a Warmoth hardtail strat that I built and never really bonded with. I sound dead no matter what pickups I put on it. I never thought about the hardtail changing the sound. Normally I block the trem on my other Strats but maybe that does not deaden them like a hardtail setup.
GentleBen
Peasant

Postby DetroitBlues on Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:05 pm

Tremolo's are easy to block, thus a hardtail is not necessary. But for the money, the Robert Cray Signature Strat is a hardtail. Being a Mexican Fender, they are rather cheap.
DetroitBlues
Peasant

Postby Shadab Kamal on Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:12 am

So I'm over at the Suhr site looking at the pictures of all the latest guitars that they've shipped out and I don't see one hardtail strat. Whenever I'm browsing eBay or any other site you never see any hardtails for sale. None of the custom builders push the model at all let alone have pics on their sites. :jam: :excited: :blah:
Shadab Kamal
Peasant

Return to Modern Guitars