help needed

Safe haven for everything low-frequency. Bass players unite in this forum.

help needed

Postby gary mac on Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:53 pm

Hi all im new here and could do with some help ............i have just purchased an old tnt 130 bass amp which when i bought it was told that it was working and it is but not the way it should .

The problem is there's no sound well i say that the only way i can get sound out of the amp is with the gian controls turned all the way up and then there is sound but very distorted .

So im wondering if its the amp or the speaker i have dis-assembled the amp from the cabinet as well as the speaker and cant see any faults i had to do this as the amp was in a real state cobwebs everywhere so got about doing a mini cosmetic re-vamp

I got the amp pretty cheap so i dont mind sorting it as i have heard these amps are good on the road and as bass guitar is a second instrument i dont see the point of buying a new amp just to be used ocasionally .

Anyone got any ideas

cheers
gary mac
gary mac
Court Jester

Re: help needed

Postby elronnightshade on Wed May 25, 2011 9:23 am

hey, im currently using a Peavey TNT 115S (with guitar instead of bass, dont judge me), easiest way to tell if its the speaker or amp is to connect the speaker to another amp and see how it works. if it sounds fine then the problem is with your amp

best of luck
elronnightshade
Peasant

Postby pckpat on Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:44 am

Hi Gary...

Welcome to the Madhouse. You didn't say if your amp was tube or solid-state? :jam:
"Who does not work,is heavy to the earth" (Albanian proverb)
"Vision without action,is a dream-Action without vision is a nightmare"-(Japanese saying)
pckpat
Emperor

Postby archangel on Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:58 pm

First, try connecting the amp to another speaker. If the problem persists, you need to take it to an amp tech. Does it hum a lot? if so, it could have a bad output transistor or two. Some of these amps don't go into a protect mode even with blown output transistors. I am assuming this guy is transistor and a Peavey. Also many bass amps have a limiter circuit which can fail. The amp plays, but not very loud and as you crank it beyond a certain point, it never gets any louder. Other issues I have encountered are power supply issues in the preamp where half the power (most have a + and - rail) is missing causing the preamp to barely produce any signal for the power amp. There are a lot of things that could be wrong. You'll have to do some digging. If you are unfamiliar with servicing amps, then don't go any further then trying the amp with another speaker. If the amp is the problem, take it to a technician and have it serviced.
archangel
Peasant

Return to Bass Talk