Anyone running 6L6's in their Plexi 45?

Discuss the Mojave AmpWorks product line.

Anyone running 6L6's in their Plexi 45?

Postby tucky on Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:23 am

Hey all

I have a Plexi 45 which I've been running with KT66's in. Wanted to swap in some 6L6 to see what the difference in tone is? Anyone using these tubes, and if so which brand and model can you recommend?

Thanks
tucky
Peasant

Re: Anyone running 6L6's in their Plexi 45?

Postby sean on Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:02 pm

I'm currently running a set of JJ 6L6's, i believe they are stock from Vic. They sound fine, a different kind of edge to the overdriven tones, a little mushier on the low end when overdriven than say EL34s. Comes down to personal preference and what tones you're going for. I have not tried any kind of NOS 6L6's so can't comment there. But current production 6L6s are not too expensive and worth the testing in my view.

I also have dropped in a set of KT66's from an old Marshall JTM-50 and they sound great. I often lean towards EL34's, a nice set of Mullards sound great in the Plexi-45.

That is one of my favorite features of that amp, you can plug and play (with biasing of course) between those multiple set of output tube choices.
sean
Certified

Postby tucky on Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:57 pm

Hi Sean

Thanks for the reply. So do you prefer the EL34 tones to those with 6L6 and/or KT66? I am currently running the amp clean and using pedals, so I am chasing around for the best clean tone from the amp.

Also what speakers are you running your Plexi 45 through, since they make such a difference?

Thanks

Andrew
tucky
Peasant

Postby sean on Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:40 pm

Andrew,
if i want the overdrive tones from the amp, i usually lean towards the EL34's. They don't get too loose on the bottom end and keep a good midrange voice, IMHO.
I would lean towards the 6L6 or KT66 if keeping the amp clean and using pedals for overdriven tones.

The KT66's are very hard to beat in that application.

For speakers I bounce around between G12H30's, G12-25 Watt Greenbacks, and occasionally an alnico of some flavor or another. The alnico's are great for clean tones but I don't prefer them on overdriven tones, just my personal preference.

For me, the Plexi-45 is a darker amp by default compared to others, so the G12H30s usually get the nod.
sean
Certified

Return to Mojave AmpWorks