Quick test recording Dirty Boy with Telefunken U47

Discuss the Mojave AmpWorks product line.

Quick test recording Dirty Boy with Telefunken U47

Postby plexi on Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:48 am

Got the Mic and gave it a spin. WOW, all the details are there. Next time I might actually use the EQ on the pre amp but what you hear is straight in form a real Telefunken U47. The mic was so much more punchy and robust then expected, I didn't even bother adding anything to it. Just a test clip but, who would have thought that mic would make a great rock guitar amp mic. The volume tested at 126 db in the cabinet booth.

first time U47 demo Low Rez Mp3

first time U47 demo Hi Rez .aif
plexi
Site Admin

Re: Quick test recording Dirty Boy with Telefunken U47

Postby SoloDallas on Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:23 pm

Can't hear it right now as I am out of Italy in a slow-connection country.
However, I own too an U47, a Neumann. I freaking love it, though my favorite is my Neumann U67. I think these two are the holy grail of mics.

Congrats on yours. I hope it is going to stay with you for a lifetime!
SoloDallas
Peasant

Postby 52Boomer on Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:56 pm

Sounds like Plexi Palace is making great strides in musicianship and product development. :idea:
" Are you sure that you're not just imagining that ? "
52Boomer
Prince

Postby plexi on Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:50 am

Well thanks much guys. Ya, this is a lifetime mic. Pentode mics rule.
plexi
Site Admin

Postby mentoneman on Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:13 am

sounds awesome victorino! that mic really seems to compliment your amp tone.
and that lance cat is a perfect match for mojave-
mentoneman
Squire

Postby MCK on Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:25 pm

Amazing tone & playing. Well done my friend. Yet again. Keep well.
MCK
Peasant

Postby plexi on Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:26 pm

I will give you guys a run down. I had the weekend to try a few things.

First, I was trying to find the optimum location of the microphone as it pertains to placement. I did some digging around and with the SPL on the table, I had to consider how to set this mic up and look for good results.

As it turns out, Setting up a mic like this is not as easy as just any old mic. You're not going to get a much better sound in one place verses another. Why? Because this is the most realistic Mic I've ever heard. The sound is exact and naked. No color but no harm done. Mids are so delicately caressed, it is like the voice of the human ear in reverse. weird analogy but, If there was a better way to describe it. Its like the ear was given its chance to create an electronic collector to work with. The truth, It's a new way to record. It means honestly to the max. The mic is so good, I now have problems getting other mics to work with it. And by that I mean I did a recording with the U47 and an AEA R92 ribbon. One was on the grill and the other (U47) was 6 ft back. Why 6 ft, Because when cranked up to 126dbs, that mic allows for a very gentle compression of the sound yet nothing that creates any kind of distortion mind you. Talk about a serious battle harden mic, WOW.

Back to Mic location. There was really no better place then another. Just a bit more volume close up, so I kept it back on the advice of Klaus Heyne who is the authority in U47s as well as Vintage Microphones in general. He suggested no less then 3 feet from the source for the reasons I just stated.

So in a nut shell, a mic I used to consider relatively flat (AEA R92) and good sounding has massive color in it, the reference being the U47. I never heard such a mic. I am really re learning how to record and it is totally a naked, truth to the max sound. What you make at the speaker is exactly what you get. I did some recording and even though I endeavored to find a better location, it was the same place I started, only hours later after all kinds of moving around. I sent a signal from the DAW via X-amp output into my Plexi 45. I was trying high volume and low volume. Either way, that mic was so incredibly consistence, Now I know why it is top chose for industry cats.

I always considered my Neumann U87s as a good coloring tool for the tracking, now I see how convoluted they made things if it was a accurate reproduction. Mid humps galore.

Guitar does benefit greatly from mics that do color the sound and I can see that. I have always used several to build a full sound that I could craft to the desire result.

Here,The U47 mic gives you the naked truth. So you strive to get better sound form the amp straight out the shoot.

In the end, Its is so good, It is all you need. I would like second mic, Maybe a U67 or an ELA-M251 to get some contrast. All you need to do is bump the 100-200Hz for a bit of fattening in the mix but otherwise, That clip above, that was raw and nothing on it at all.

So from a perspective of mainstream guitar recording, There are no rules but taking a mic like the U47 into the booth will break down the false sense of security that comes form the wider array of colored microphones. They do tend to enhance the mids or create pre determined EQ of sorts and we grow used to them and learn how to work with them, getting good results depending on your goal. I now see this Mic as a serious tool to produce much more honest recording demos of product.

I will say there are places for other mics to be used and add color. but when A/B comparing, it seems like the other mics are back in grade school where this thing is a PHD on steroids. Again, another weird analogy.
Also ups the game on the clarity and up front presence in the sound.

I'l load a clip when I get done making a decent piece of music. That's the hard part!
plexi
Site Admin

Postby mentoneman on Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:05 am

understand exactly what you're saying

just like high end cameras attempt to resolve like the human eye sees, these mics attempt to resolve like the human ear hears, and you wouldn't jam your delicate ear against a blasting 4x12 or drum instrument as your eardrum would be pinned to the limit of it's excursion and detail would be lost. on the other hand a dumb mic like a 57 you wanna abuse-proximity for some thump, position near harsh center of cone becomes useable top end detail after filtering through the mic.

my friend had a very sweet old, well preserved U87 that he purchased from warner brothers and we spend hours/days/months using and evaluating that thing in his home studio through manley preamps and compressors.
it was a beautiful sound, and certain amps like matchless and ac30s, and acoustic guitar sounds were massive, but it wasn't what i'd gravitate towards if i was after a edgier hard rock sound, and the mid hump you described, which can benefit a vocal track to give it more weight up front, to carry through to the final mix, was too much at times on a mid emphasized guitar tone.

another friend had a really high end home studio and the centerpiece of his impressive mic collection was this bad boyhttp://www.vintageking.com/Brauner-Microphones-VM1_2?sc=18&category=344
and this had the same type of vibe you are describing-honest, pure, musical, detailed, etc, but unlike the chinese knock off sound-presence with a heaping serving of hash, this thing made your ears dig in for more, and the balance of frequencies and harmonic richness made everything it recorded sound "important". didn't hurt that he had an arsenal of universal audio, neve, ssl, and avalon rack modules to mate it with.
mentoneman
Squire

Postby 52Boomer on Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:41 pm

Good observations, but what I am concerned about is, whether it can produce all that, and a good strings tone :?:
" Are you sure that you're not just imagining that ? "
52Boomer
Prince

Postby plexi on Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:16 pm

I agree,
Not all sounds are best served by a Vocal mic. And lets be honest, This is 1st and by most standards a Vocal Mic, not an instrument mic.

So I have found if you can get a good Ribbon and a good condenser, you have a way of creating a good blend. I even believe that a small array of mics, all cheap for that matter can do the job, each contributing their part for the end result.

I also believe that its important not to add to much color form mics as that takes a lot form the honest sound and you start using EQ to fix things. There in lays your massive phase distortion etc.
plexi
Site Admin

Return to Mojave AmpWorks