Acoustic 301 Bass Cab

Safe haven for everything low-frequency. Bass players unite in this forum.

Acoustic 301 Bass Cab

Postby gldtp99 on Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:21 pm

They were going to smash this beat-up 1x18 cab into pieces so it would fit into the dumpster and asked me if i wanted it first---- it was left (abandoned) in a band rehersal room in the building where i have my amp workshop.
I finally got a chance to check it out and after cutting thru the layers of duct tape holding it together i found a Cerwin-Vega 189E 18" speaker hanging by one sheetrock screw inside. This speaker seems to be good---it passed the manual coil-rub test and seems to work properly when powered by a 9V battery---- i did patch one small area on the cone.
I did some research and the "E" in 189E stands for Earthquake-- :shock: --This same type of speaker was used in the old "Sensuround" movie theater system for the special effects in the "Earthquake" and some other movies. They used many of these 189E's with different horn systems to produce the low rumbling movie effect.
A neighbor had an Acoustic 360 bass amp many yrs ago---- i think this is a similar cab to my 301(single 18" rear-firing, W-shaped folded horn) but the 360 had the solid state power amp built into the speaker cab--- the 360's head that sat on top of the cab was only the preamp---- i remember that the 360 had a huge low tone that would almost liquify your bowels.
I'm in the process of cleaning the duct tape goo off the tolex and getting the proper screws and sealing materials to put this monster back together. One internet page said that these speakers won't take much power unless the enclosure behind the cone is securely sealed, so i'll pay attention to that.
I'll test this thing out with one of my SC 120/Hiwatt conversions (i don't have "real" bass head---- but several bass players have tried out some of my SC 120/Hiwatts and my DR103 clone and liked them very much) but i'm thinking that my SC 200 Plus with a Hiwatt preamp rebuild might be a good match for this cab----- a monster old-school bass rig.
Gotta love free stuff....................gldtp99
gldtp99
Baron

Postby gypsy moth on Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:15 pm

too cool - Acoustic made really good bass cabinets.
http://www.myspace.com/gmothmusic

2002 live from the globe of death, 2004 a collection of favorite spanish love songs, 2007 the tomb of the deaf, 2009 killing it in a bad way
gypsy moth
King

Postby Happy Face on Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:02 pm

"i remember that the 360 had a huge low tone that would almost liquify your bowels."

:lol:
Happy Face
Page

Postby swid on Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:25 pm

Jealous! That's a great find.
swid
Page

Postby Jamie on Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:55 pm

I have fond memories of the 360 also, one of my bass players years ago used a 360. I don't play bass but I'm wondering if the new acoustic offerings are ok or crap.

Jamie
Baron

Postby swid on Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:59 pm

Jamie wrote:I have fond memories of the 360 also, one of my bass players years ago used a 360. I don't play bass but I'm wondering if the new acoustic offerings are ok or crap.

I've been hearing really good things and mean to check them out. The thing is, they have basically two lines -- this one is more budgety (really inexpensive amps!), but there's a high end line of reissues due that sounds really promising.
swid
Page

Postby mattvon on Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:18 pm

Interesting that the promo photo has the 1-15" cab ON TOP of the 4-10" cab...seems reversed to me.
Second prize is a set of steak knives.
mattvon
Certified

Postby roryman on Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:16 am

Hey gldtop! You once worked on a SC100 I have here in Indiana!Great amp,it has an extra holke on the front panel{?}.Anyway,this amp does a yeomans job of powering the 301,The seal you refer to is right on,if you have a loose back panel it will rattle like crazy.These cabs are tricky in that you don't really hear their mojo directly on stage.If you do a sound check you will FEEL the bass at about 30 feet,I sware its like a bazooka!Its that pump in the chest bass.Not sure how this will work for guitar?You are gonna enjoy this cab!!
Be Mental!
roryman
Peasant

Re: Acoustic 301 Bass Cab

Postby Sean Camp on Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:46 am

My bowels, as well as the rest of me, are still liquid. GOTT GO GOTTA GO GOTTA GO RIGHT NOW.
Love Ya, Buh-By.
Sean Camp
Page

Return to Bass Talk