Fender CS Rumble 300 watt head

Safe haven for everything low-frequency. Bass players unite in this forum.

Re: Fender CS Rumble 300 watt head

Postby Nostromo on Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:33 pm

Thanks Psycho,

I really really appreciate all the info you've shared with me in this thread . . . and . . . if any one else has enjoyed the exchange then I guess thats what this amazing bulletin board is all about.

M
So many many thanks . . . . . I will keep you informed of progress . . . I really will get this wonderful amp sorted out one way or another . . . .

Watch this space !

All the best

:D
Nostromo

Vox AC30TB Sept 1964
Vox AC30HW Limited Hand Wired Edition 2003
Fender Dual Professional Custom Shop 100w Combo 1995
Fender Rumble Bass Custom Shop 300W All Valve Head 1997
Hiwatt DR405 Bass Head 2009
Nostromo
Court Jester

Postby Nostromo on Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:40 am

Thanks again for all the above information.

Regarding an expert valve amp tech to fix the Rumblebass - I've tried to contact John Chambers via his website at http://www.chambonino.com/index.html but no luck. In fact, there has recently been a notice posted on his site suggesting he's not taking in repair work any more ? Though if I could contact him I'm sure it would be the sort of project he'd be intersted in ?

So . . . . things being as they are . . . I would be very grateful to hear from anyone who could recommend an expert repairer in the UK ? Needs to be someone able to undertake the extensive work outlined and recommended by Psycho Bass Guy in his contribution above.

Im in the south of the UK but would be happy to travel almost anywhere to get the right person ?

Cheers,

Nostromo
Nostromo

Vox AC30TB Sept 1964
Vox AC30HW Limited Hand Wired Edition 2003
Fender Dual Professional Custom Shop 100w Combo 1995
Fender Rumble Bass Custom Shop 300W All Valve Head 1997
Hiwatt DR405 Bass Head 2009
Nostromo
Court Jester

Postby RumbleRod on Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:47 am

First post here.
I've had my Rumble Bass and 410 cab for about 8 years. Bought it off eBay in excellent cond.
It's got the best tone I've used and I've had some nice tube amps - vintage and new SVT's, Fender PS400, Marshall VBA400, Sovtek Bassov 50 (nice little amp).
I would use my Rumble Bass in a private rehearsal space and never had any issues, playing at a fairly loud level, on for about 5 hrs at a time, 3 days a week.
The fan got rattley over time. Later I quite the band and here it sat. One of my old bands is getting together for a few shows and a recording so I figured what am I saving it for? I'll use the Rumble Bass live.
Well I play for a while at home and it's pretty hot here this week. I heard a "pffft pfffft" sound. Just a couple times. So I figured I'd pop it open and take a look. I figured it was the curse of the Rumble Bass.
The tubes (all American BTW with the exception of the 12AT7's) were fine according to the lame tube tester at electronic supply store.
I poked around and couldn't get one of the blade connectors to quiet down (surprised there was just one) so I hard wired it.
One of the pins in the preamp/power amp connector was pushed in, probably causing a weak connection, so I fixed it (watch out for those).
I replaced the noisy fan with an identical one I bought a few years ago. Then I added another to the front (same type but couldn't find the same manufacturer) of the chassis and one to the inside of the power amp chassis at the little grill, excerting a suction force air out.
I figure air can get sucked out of the chassis, replenishing with air taken in by the 'oversized' cutouts of the big transformers. The big fan in front is 'shrouded' with foam (can't see from the outside), drawing fresh air in through the grill like a modern SVT, then of course the original rear fan sucks it out. Lots of air movement. Weird 'pffft' sound didn't come back but it still needs a real test with the band. We'll see how it works.
BTW, the fans I used are 115VAC that I tapped from the power switch, so the switch turns them on too just like the original fan. I don't think the 'internals' of the amp will be affected since the power switch, original fan (and new fans) are on the input side of the transformer. If this sounds iffy to anyone 'in the know', please respond.
I should have taken pictures, sorry about that.
Nice site, BTW.
RumbleRod
Peasant

Postby RumbleRod on Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:55 pm

The Golden Boy wrote:I think if you find pix of Glen Matlock on the Sex Pistols' Filthy Luchre tour from 97 or whenever that was- he was playing those amps. From anything I've read- he's about the only person to use them.

BTW, Deana Carter's bass player was playing Rumbles back in 98.
RumbleRod
Peasant

Postby Psycho Bass Guy on Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:47 pm

The Bassman 300 was originally introduced by Fender as the Sunn 300T. The first runs of those had numerous problems which took Fender a few years to correct. Even when they're not malfunctioning, they don't sound good. They are either hopelessly muddy and booming or ice-pick in the ear trebly; there is no in-between. Fender hasn't made a good tube head for bass since the late 70's. The 400PS, 300PS, Bassman 135, and Studio Bass were some outstanding tube bass amps. There has also been some decent s/s bass gear from Fender over the years but it's very hit and miss. If you want the REAL Sunn sound, you need either a 200 or 2000s, and if you want THE SVT sound, get a 70's SVT. If you want a good high-powered tube bass head, do NOT get a Fender.
Psycho Bass Guy
Court Jester

Postby Psycho Bass Guy on Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:13 pm

Toppscore wrote:PsychoBassGuy!
Didn't Fender make a special super loud 1200w bass amp head in the 1970s/1980s for a five year period? I forget the name of the Fender bass amp head, but it came with a W-speaker cabinet that held two very hard to remove the 15" or 18' speakers. I saw one for sale, recently, but forget the Fender Amp Name. It is supposed to be the most powerful amp ever at 1200w. It had three outputs to manage three different speaker cabinets at 400w each. Do you remember a famous amp that was designed by a very famous person who was part of Fender History?
Toppscore

You're referring to the 400PS, which was "only" 435 watts, not 1200.
Psycho Bass Guy
Court Jester

Previous

Return to Bass Talk