Ruskin Room amp

For those building and repairing amps on their own. Learna and share ideas.

Ruskin Room amp

Postby Clanger on Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:24 pm

Here's a thread from the Marstran forum about my little amp I've been developing over the past year or so;

It's an attempt to get an amp that sounds nice , hot and crunchy down at around 25W and so I can get away from using attenuators and all that gubbins and towards using a single 1x12 cab at gigs, as I'm getting older and all that heavy extra crap I can do without. Let the soundman provide the Watts I say. 8)

http://forum.marstran.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=338
"Please feel free to copy this information and use it to make friends and influence people at your favourite social gathering" - Doyle
Clanger
Knight

Re: Ruskin Room amp

Postby Clanger on Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:57 pm

Now in cab with control panel completed.. Will try and get some decent clips soon.

"Please feel free to copy this information and use it to make friends and influence people at your favourite social gathering" - Doyle
Clanger
Knight

Postby PeterS on Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:59 am

great look. how many volts is your B+?
PeterS
King

Postby Clanger on Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:53 pm

PeterS wrote:great look. how many volts is your B+?

Thanks, sorry for the late reply, B+ on the OP tubes is around 355VDC at idle.
Clanger
Knight

Postby PeterS on Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:10 am

Cool. There's a lot to be said for low B+... like you can run it near to class A... and 25 watts is enough for most situations for me...
PeterS
King

Postby Clanger on Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:06 pm

PeterS wrote:Cool. There's a lot to be said for low B+... like you can run it near to class A... and 25 watts is enough for most situations for me...

Exactly, great tone is perfectly feasible at low B+, especially once you realise that OP distortion is not nice and not what you need. Most of what we like comes from elsewhere, - pre-amp, PI, and OPT/Speaker interaction.

Having said that I'm running solidly in class AB, I'm not a Class A purist by any means.

Another benefit of low B+ is that you can push the parameters of loading, and also get away with crappy cheapo OP tubes if that's how you gets yer kicks, - I've been using some very nasty russian OP's with safe and great sounding results. This is an economical amp to run! 8)

My next experiments will be trying a MV installation, could anyone point me to the info on a typical PPIMV implementation, I know they've come up here a lot in the past?
Clanger
Knight

Postby Clanger on Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:01 pm

Got some Sound City PA cabs up on evilbay at the moment.

Used the Ruskin amp to do a quick demo, which in turn made a nice demo of the amp;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-IB1nLfM-c

The amp now has a PPIMV on it, was running on about half way on that , with the channel volumes slowly heading towards dimed on thru the course of the clip,

Regards, Clanger
Clanger
Knight

Postby Clanger on Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:29 pm

Another clip, this time hooked up to a Marshall 4X12 w/Powercell speakers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml7mw8Ex ... e=youtu.be
Clanger
Knight

Postby Vortexion on Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:36 am

Very nice indeed. 8)
Vortexion
Newt

Postby Clanger on Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:46 pm

They're multiplying, but slowly. About one a year. Subtle tweaking continues and the latest version sounding good, I've slowly moved from JTM45 type OPTs towards Vox AC30 style.

I'll post some clips to Youtube and link in sometime.

Clanger
Knight

Postby Clanger on Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:39 pm

As promised, here's Joe Jeffery playing it in high gain mode. I'll post another soon, just to prove it does do clean 8)

http://youtu.be/z6hQj93jBPw
Clanger
Knight

Postby Clanger on Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:02 pm

Here's it's being played on a Hodder and Co session; (Cruising in the) 5th Dimension;

Rock n Roll!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsYpr_K4SL4
Clanger
Knight

Postby Clanger on Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:39 pm

Previous link doesn't work thanks to the vagaries of youtube. A long story , but the short story is they do what they like..

Here is the track again, this one will hopefully work, chassis no 2 getting a work out in the studio back in 2014.

Cruising in the 5th Dimension;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoB-CctXIJA
Clanger
Knight

Postby Clanger on Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:38 am

Build No 2 at work on a Saturday night;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7UdCMYB4Yc
Clanger
Knight

Return to Do It Yourself Amp Builders