Take your amp to the next level

Burns, Selmer, WEM, and more

Take your amp to the next level

Postby plexi on Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:48 pm

Here at the Plexi Palace, we've got a few of our own special recipes for Marshalls as well as Vox, Hiwatt, Traynor, Fender amp modifications. Can't really recall a time that we openly offered these mods/upgrades but were sitting on a lot of transformers and parts. The good part is, I got them before the cost of materials went up! Believe it or not, we have every model in stock so don't worry, it's here. Also glad to send you the parts for your own project if you need. Stock restos are what we mainly do but there are some great recipes in the cookbook so to speak.
After seeing every conceivable model Marshall, Vox Hiwatt, Fender and many other model and makes of vintage amps, we've acquired a bit of knowledge that is hard earned. Mostly because we bought huge numbers of these amps (British) while importing them for rebuild and sale through the Plexi Place. I remember at the time, totally being on our own and having to draw up the circuits and research everything if it wasn't published. You probably know the drill if you hang out here on this board and had your own projects.

True Story, In 1999, I brought a phillips and flat screwdriver, along with my guitar to Edward Van Halen's 5150 studio as I was a frequent visitor. On this one occasion, I was allowed to take apart Edwards 67/68 Plexi (it's a 68 if you guys care) and saw it for what it was. I have worked on a lot of Edwards gear and now that it's been over a decade, I feel at liberty to speak out. I was asked (required) to keep it to myself at the time so as not to exploit his name. I did buy a good number of pieces as well from the studio and never told anyone where they came from as agreed. Would be happy to perform some of these cool mods for you, reissues or later models are good for the task. At lest for the time being since summer if slower for us and this would be a good time to fit them in. We even wrapped up a few amps that jose had started on and never finished. ed and Jose split up apparently before they were wrapped up. Some projects that they were into which were supposed to be Ed's own amp model, at least that was what was told regarding those amps, and yes they were Marshalls.

plexi@vintageamps.com
760 515 2578
plexi
Site Admin

Re: Take your amp to the next level

Postby Inventour on Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:40 pm

Very Good Info,

Thanks for taking the time to explain how you can help
everyone. There is always that elusive part we search for
and never seen to find.
Inventour
Page

Postby Emerson Biggins on Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:21 pm

plexi wrote:After seeing every conceivable model Marshall, Vox Hiwatt, Fender and many other model and makes of vintage amps, we've acquired a bit of knowledge that is hard earned.

Just curious, but based on the above statement, what is your all-time favorite, desert island amp -- if you could own only one?
"Yesterday is history, and tomorrow is a mystery,, today is a gift - thats why they call it the present".
Emerson Biggins
Baron

Postby plexi on Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:03 am

Toppscore wrote:Hi, Plexi! Thank you for sharing Vintage Amps' services right here in California for repair & restoration.
I checked out your site. Looks good and is informative :!:

Queston: Do you repair/restoration work on early 1954/1955 Fender 5D6,5E6,5D6A Bassman Amps :?:
Can you procure NOS or era-correct Trian Transformers, Jensen speakers, capacitors, tubes or speaker wiring :?:
I saw that you can "charge up the electrolytes" with in vintage capacitors ~ sounds good :!:

I can easily ship from Silicon Valley to Apple Valley. I have posted some pictures, already.
Thank you for your response :) Toppscore

Just send the info to plexi@vintageamps.com please
plexi
Site Admin

Postby plexi on Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:08 am

A Hiwatt Collection to die for, went through every one before they were sold. Made perfectly STOCK with Original Mullards
Attachments
JoeB-092.jpg
Same Collection, Shot from oposite angle
JoeB-080.jpg
We bought these and went through every single one, All were seriously coo!
plexi
Site Admin

Postby plexi on Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:21 am

Attachments
Cab-Front.jpg
WE KNOW OUR HIWATTS
Cab Frontw.jpg
GREAT sounding amp, Not your typical Hiwatt. Can do Mod
PageHIWATTRoyalAlbert.jpg
Check this. Rightious
jp1971.jpg
Check this. Rightious
plexi
Site Admin

Postby Strat59 on Thu May 09, 2013 3:16 pm

:thumbsup: Great Stuff , thanks for sharing Victor. Only marred by the Ahem ..... questions from our dearly departed ex member - Topp Score.

" guitarists have been putting heads on speaker cabs since forever " ....... Hmmm I think mainly because they were designed to be put there ! :roll:
"Blues players don't mess around with a guitar, they hit the bloody thing"........ Rory Gallagher
Strat59
Baron

Postby Aliraza125 on Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:36 am

Pat,
is this video clip using the PM for the overdrive sounds, http://pass4-sure.ws or is it your setup where you run the PM pretty clean and utilize the Radial/Classic pedal for the overdrive?
thanks,
sean
Aliraza125
Peasant

Return to Miscellaneous British Amplifiers