5 (and 6) string bass recording

Safe haven for everything low-frequency. Bass players unite in this forum.

5 (and 6) string bass recording

Postby jaywalker on Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:59 pm

While working on my Ampeg B25B I was reading an article regarding it's potential to damage speakers with it's very low frequency response. The issue is resolved by changing the value of one cap but I started following a rabbit trail which led to this article about some challenges that a 5 string bass poses for recording and live playing. I just wanted to know what the low string frequency is on a 5 string. Now I have more info rattleing around in my head. I just can't resist chasing those trails 'cause I just might catch Jessica Rabbit...oooh la la yeah baby.
http://www.recordingmag.com/resources/resourceDetail/134.html
jaywalker
Baron

Re: 5 (and 6) string bass recording

Postby jaywalker on Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:02 am

So...I'm wanting to know what adjustments you 5 stringers have made in what you use for speakers in your rigs to handle the lows? Or is it a non-issue?
jaywalker
Baron

Re: 5 (and 6) string bass recording

Postby Psycho Bass Guy on Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:32 pm

The guy who wrote that article is overly impressed with both his prowess as an engineer and a bassist. Don't make a 5-string have to fight the kickdrum; everything else is taste. As far as "speaker damage" from too much low end from tube amps, that's crap, too. You can blow a speaker by trying to get more low end volume out of it than it can provide, but you can also just as easily do that with a s/s amp.
Psycho Bass Guy
Court Jester

Return to Bass Talk