Rajah Zeetar anyone ?

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

Rajah Zeetar anyone ?

Postby firebirdjake on Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:26 pm

Just wondering if anybody else out there has/has had a Rajah Zeetar ? It is a strange beast, kind of a Sitar with electric pickups on it :shock: , stereo wired and just plain WEIRD. After measuring the scale I found the factory bridge placement to be off by approx. 3 3/4" or so- makes for some VERY interesting out of tuneness up the neck. I have some ideas for a fix to that and a couple other problems but wanted to see if anyone else here had tackled one of these endangered species. Pictures to come soon!

:mrgreen: Jake.
Sua cuique voluptas

"What's polarity mean?" Quoth the "sound man" at a gig 11-16- 2012

Don't die with the Music in You!
firebirdjake
Knight

Location: Betwixt the plank and the earschplittenloudenboomer.

Re: Rajah Zeetar anyone ?

Postby Falconer on Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:03 pm

Jake,

I'm in the process of restoring one of these beasts but I'm in desperate need of information.
I know the strings are steel so sitar strings won't work. Also, what is the original tuning for
the primary and sympathetic strings? You wouldn't happen to have a manual or instruction
book, would you? Any info or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.
Mike
Falconer
Peasant

Postby crebennack on Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:38 pm

Hi Mike
2 authentic 60's, white zeetars which belonged to my dad are now mine. I was getting ready to try and sell at least one, and in googling "zeetar", your post came up. I know it was a while ago that you posted it, but wondered if you'd gotten anywhere with yours. These 2 are kind of a mess, as they sat unprotected, collecting dust in a corner of my father's studio for literally over 40 years. But, I've no idea who, what or how much to go about trying to unload them; If it's worth a luthier's fee to fix before hand......Anyway, any input would be greatly appreciated.
I also have his authentic '67 Vincent Bell Coral Sitar w/ case; This I know is worth freshening up as I wil be selling that too, and I know they go for thousands. Anyway, thanks, Cat
crebennack
Peasant

Postby Falconer on Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:32 pm

CAt,

Just saw your post. I've got another one on the way. In better shape than the first one. I could really use a manual or at least a tuning chart for all the strings. The Vinnie bell Coral sitar is worth some big bucks. Check ebay and if you sell it, hold out for good money. I had one years ago and sold it for $ 50 bucks! Doh!
Falconer
Peasant

Postby Falconer on Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:35 pm

Cat,

Forgot. I have some info on replacing strings. You can't use regular sitar strings as the Zeetar pick ups won't work with them. If you need that info, let me know and I;ll send it to you. My direct email is michaeljnucci@gmail.com.
Falconer
Peasant

Postby felig on Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:20 pm

Hi Mike, I just sent you an email for info about strings...just within the last half hour, I broke a string on mine that I bought & had restored about 10 years ago. I googled Raja Zeetar strings & found this site & this thread. Mine has been tuned like a guitar E to E (with the 7th main course string tuned to a second high E that is next to my low E).

As far as value--I know that there were some restored ones floating around about 5 or so years ago for around $900. Mine, I got for about $600 & then sunk about another $700 into a restoration--all the bolt-on frets were removed (a number were already missing) & replaced with tie-on sitar frets; new bridges installed, electronics cleaned, etc.; some missing tuners replaced. All in all, I guess I'm hanging on to it, since I'm probably in deeper than I could expect to get out of it for the foreseeable future.

This is a pretty cool site, I don't know why I'm just finding it!
felig
Peasant

Postby Stinkfoot on Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:04 am

I have one of these MD models which are a good copy of the Coral sitar. Reasonably priced, I think I paid under £300 for one like this.
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... x=55&ty=71
Stinkfoot
Squire

Postby pckpat on Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:53 am

crebennack wrote:Hi Mike
2 authentic 60's, white zeetars which belonged to my dad are now mine. I was getting ready to try and sell at least one, and in googling "zeetar", your post came up. I know it was a while ago that you posted it, but wondered if you'd gotten anywhere with yours. These 2 are kind of a mess, as they sat unprotected, collecting dust in a corner of my father's studio for literally over 40 years. But, I've no idea who, what or how much to go about trying to unload them; If it's worth a luthier's fee to fix before hand......Anyway, any input would be greatly appreciated.
I also have his authentic '67 Vincent Bell Coral Sitar w/ case; This I know is worth freshening up as I wil be selling that too, and I know they go for thousands. Anyway, thanks, Cat

Hi Cat...welcome aboard-hey your dad wouldn't happen to be the amazing Dr.John?(just a guess from your handle) :dunno:
"Who does not work,is heavy to the earth" (Albanian proverb)
"Vision without action,is a dream-Action without vision is a nightmare"-(Japanese saying)
pckpat
Emperor

Postby AC50 on Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:34 pm

Anybody know where I could get one of those buzzy bridges that gives that "electric sitar" sound? I wouldn't mind converting a spare Stratocaster, then I could play "Cry Like A Baby". :lol:
AC50
Emperor

Postby Falconer on Mon May 02, 2011 4:07 pm

Try ebay and look for a Gotoh sitar bridge, that's the Coral/Danelectro version. Try googling EYB. That's a saddle sitar bridge for the Telecaster. Lastly, check ebay for the completed auctions and look for "tiesco sitar". If you can get the pictures, you'll see that it used a block of wood incorporating the bridge and the "buzz" plate.
Falconer
Peasant

Postby kennyhowes on Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:12 am

I had one; great tone and cool stereo wiring but the bridge being off made it totally unplayable.

Somewhere I have a photo of the original instruction sheet on tuning etc. for the RZ. PM me if you need it.
- VOX: AC30ST (JMI) • AC30 TBX red • AC30 TB Silver Jubilee
- RICKENBACKER: TR35B • TR120B
- FENDER Plum Crazy Pro Junior
kennyhowes
Page

Postby MajorWatt on Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:15 am

AC50 wrote:Anybody know where I could get one of those buzzy bridges that gives that "electric sitar" sound? I wouldn't mind converting a spare Stratocaster, then I could play "Cry Like A Baby". :lol:

Love that tune..... also a mattress company called Sleep Train that has one in it's TV ad background music. Shades of 1967....

8)
Check out our songs at.......
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
http://www.reverbnation.com/blacksundaydream
http://www.soundclick.com/blacksundaydream

"Except For Ending Slavery, Fascism, Nazism and Communism, WAR has Never Solved Anything."
MajorWatt
Airport Gropee

Location: S.F. Bay Area. Where the sun always shines! Except on cloudy or rainy days...

Postby firebirdjake on Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:10 pm

Well, I guess the pictures didn't come very soon, LOL. Life has been interesting- will get shotsof the refurbished Maroon one I have.... added tailpiece and using guitar strings for main playing strings now, and regular sitar strings for the sympathetics. Made a bridge from ebony and tortiseshell from an old mandolin pickguard which seems to work well- the original was plastic and lost before it came into my posession.
Sua cuique voluptas

"What's polarity mean?" Quoth the "sound man" at a gig 11-16- 2012

Don't die with the Music in You!
firebirdjake
Knight

Location: Betwixt the plank and the earschplittenloudenboomer.

Postby Mayhawk on Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:58 pm

AC50 wrote:Anybody know where I could get one of those buzzy bridges that gives that "electric sitar" sound? I wouldn't mind converting a spare Stratocaster, then I could play "Cry Like A Baby". :lol:

Just lower the string saddles....instant sitar.
Mayhawk
User of the Murse

Postby AC50 on Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:58 am

Mayhawk wrote:

Just lower the string saddles....instant sitar.

Almost! :lol:
(Kinda like John Lee Hooker?)
AC50
Emperor

Next

Return to Off-Topic Lounge