ZT Lunchbox

Contemporary amp builders and manufacturers.

ZT Lunchbox

Postby Sean Camp on Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:05 pm

I know this is no tube monster, but please cut me some slack. I want to find a 'real' review of this amp the ZT Lunchbox. they say 200 watts with a 6.5 in speaker and claim its loud enough to gig with. I heard a couple of youtube vid demos so, I have some idea what I does and/or does not sound like. But how loud does it get? Lets use SEAN's Tube Watt Scale as in 5 tube watts on a 1-12 can sound louder than 20 transistor watts on a 1-8 depending on design. So, the Question is.... with the little 6.5 inch speaker only is it most like.... 5 t[ube]w[att]s , 15 tws ,30 tws, 60 tws, 120 tws?
On a 4-12 is it 5 tws, 15 tws etc.? Any help at all will be appreciated.
As I get older I'm gonna need smaller and lighter gear. I'm hoping in the near future they'll make a 3 kg 1-10 cab that sound like a 2-12 or better.
Love Ya, Buh-By.
Sean Camp
Page

Re: ZT Lunchbox

Postby MKII on Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:23 am

I'm not sure of the specs of the amp, but for home use and recording it is a god send for me mainly because even direct injected it can sound pretty close to how it sounds through the speaker. It has a good basic sound from which to start, being pedal friendly means it can potentially cover a lot of sonic ground in tandem with various effects.

For lead work it needs a overdrive or boost pedal of some kind because the amps driven sounds on it's own is more in crunch territory. I found that the ambience effect worked best when it was set half way, this made the amp come alive without altering the basic sound of my guitar and fuzz pedal.

For gigs I used a 2x12 cab because it lacked balls in context of a band when using it without one, but perhaps a combination of mic'd up inbuilt speaker and direct injection would mean I wouldn't have to use the 2x12. I play with a hard hitting drummer and a bassist who uses fuzz etc, i have no problems keeping up with them volume wise with the amp through the 2x12.

I bought mine as replacement for some fairly desirable vintage amps. Tired of lugging a Vox Supreme and/or Vox 715 head I got one and soon found it could sound similar, was much lighter and fit in a small ruck sack!

Being solid-state, even digital? It does have a bit of a harsh top end if you don't take care, but it I found it very easy to make it sound good and musical.

Enough babbling, listen to one in action with various effects here. I used my ZT for the majority of these pedal demos.

http://www.youtube.com/pinstripedclips
MKII
Squire

Postby Sean Camp on Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:01 am

Thanx for the reply,
Do you think a Lunchbox and a Line6 pod would be loud enough on stage as a guitar monitor by itself having the mic and/or DI do only the mains.
Is it enough at jam sessions.
Please relate how ,loud its it by the tws method =transistor amp on its cab times the number of class AB1 tube watts to make the same apparent volume 5tws being the number for feedback sustain at 5 meters with volume wide open, no pedal. I know it is still a subjective scale, but I think Most can relate.
Love Ya, Buh-By.
Sean Camp
Page

Postby MKII on Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:36 am

I don't quite get the system you have there, all I know is that I use it at home, for recording, rehearsing and gigging and in all of those situations it sounds good and can be quiet and/or loud enough.

At gigs I use it as a monitor and the sound man mic's up the 2x12. I guess you could use it in the way you describe too though.

I'd say that through the 2x12 it's easily as loud as a 30 - 50watt amp. Although still loud the amp sounds too small when I play with the band without the cab. I'd rather not have to use the cab, but in a band set up I really think it needs it.

Perhaps the ZT Club would be a better option?

Sorry I can't be more helpful. 8)
MKII
Squire

Postby Sean Camp on Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:14 am

Thanx,
The way you described what your doing with the amp lets me know what I wanted to know. BTW it also means you understand my (mostly a) joke system of tws or tweeters. Admin: Please let that though?
Love Ya, Buh-By.
Sean Camp
Page

Postby Malissa98 on Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:14 am

I've been using the ZT Lunchbox with my GR-55 for a few weeks now at an open mic. With the amp sitting on a cabinet about 4 feet off the ground I'm loving the sound I get. No problems keeping up with the volume. There are typically up to 3 other guitars, bass, and acoustic drums. Several guys have pointed and giggled when we are setting up, then come over asking "what IS that thing" after hearing it. Elantric is certainly right in that it can't move as much air as bigger speakers, and the only way to know if it is right for you is try it out. I have the ZT extension cab and have actually used the combo as a PA for running karaoke in a small bar.
Malissa98
Peasant

Postby schematic on Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:06 am

I also have foresacken my AC30 and now use a ZT Lunchbox + Extension cab and find it keeps up with the Bass and Drums in volume although it can be a bit directional the variety of tones available are great once you get use to tweaking the different variables I have not tried it through a 4x12 but have also heard good reports.Their customer service is also excellent if your buying secondhand check out the ZT website the early ones aren't as robust as the newer models serial number checkable hope it helps
Vox AC30 'T'(65)Vox AC30 TBR (76)
Wallace XT100
Fender Twin Reverb '71'
Roost SM50R '75'
Selmer T&B-100 Silverface
Mesa Boogie MKIIB (80)
Crate Powerblock (Back up)
schematic
Squire

Return to Modern Guitar Amps and Builders