Gilmour delay and tone

The greatest names in guitar, the sounds that we all want and have chased for years. This is the central location for decoding the elusive signature sounds.

Gilmour delay and tone

Postby BigBUncle on Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:27 am

for some reason, I have never been able to get the delay right. I own a EH stereo memory man with the hazarai. Does anyone else own one of these and have a gilmour background? I typically have all the dials at 9 o'clock, with the decay completely off.

Also, how can i achieve that violin like tone when he hits the lower notes? And by that, I mean the 'tone' during the 1977 live tour, particularity on the solo during pigs in montreal. Most people will say you really need to crank the amp to get it, but I am wondering if I can do it without shaking the walls.

For more help, here is my rig...

- Strat with dimarzio fs-1 bridge pickup
- BYOC Large beaver (rams head muff clone), delay, ts-808
- Sound city 120R head
- Marshall JCM800 lead series

thanks- Brett
BigBUncle
Peasant

Re: Gilmour delay and tone

Postby Shakkal on Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:23 pm

Sorry I don't have a straight answer for you but if you're not already a member you might want to check out the Gilmour Gear Forum:

http://zychal.net/forum/index.php

... you'd need to register though to be able to access anything other than the front page. I'm sure someone there would definitely be able to help.
Shakkal
Court Jester

Postby Camembert Electrique on Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:15 pm

Gilmour used to use a Binson for delay back in the day, if that's of any help.

Kjetil.
"Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, 'Listen, mate, life has surface noise' "

John Peel
Camembert Electrique
Squire

Postby Axe Grinder on Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:58 pm

Man he has the Best delay & echo sound.
All the Live recordings are Killer.
I wish I could get that Huge sound he gets.
Axe Grinder
Knight

Postby Camembert Electrique on Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:15 pm

Strat-> fuzzface or biggmuff-> Binson Echorec II-> 2 Hiwatt 100 watt heads (old DR 103s should do)-> four 4 x 12 cabs (WEM PA cabs if you want to be anal) with Fane elements. But you must turn the volume up REALLY high. Only then will the guitar interact with the amp rig to get those rich harmonic overtones. It's the same as with all great electric guitar sounds, really. Bedroom levels will protect your ears and keep the neighbours happy, but will only get you so far on the way to a spectacular sound.

Kjetil.
"Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, 'Listen, mate, life has surface noise' "

John Peel
Camembert Electrique
Squire

Postby Quig on Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:48 am

[url]gilmourish.com[/url] might have some good info for you.
"If one man can show this much hate, think of how much love we can show together."

-Quote of a norwegian teenager from Utoya in an interview with CNN
Quig
Page

Postby spangled99 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:44 pm

Binsons are pricey, but a valve WEM Copicat Custom should get you in the ballpark. Its the last valve model, and the most "civilised". Sold as Guild in the US. Even without the tape echo working you could combine it with a good digi delay to warm it up.

And remember that at least some of the US market Binsons, also badged Guild, were solid state and don't sound anywhere near as nice as the tube ones. I know to my cost.

I'm not sure how loud Gilmour is on stage - he gets his distortion more from pedals than the amps iirc. Also, Hiwatts are really musical sounding amps, when not pushed too hard. Really 3D.
spangled99
Baron

Postby ahzroc on Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:41 pm

I was @ the june 19, 1977 Chicago (Soldier Field) "In the Flesh" show with 95,000 of my best friends.

Their live sound was ASTONISHING.

Best outdoor sound ever, nothing is within miles of it...

How did they do it? here's the link...

http://www.pinkfloydfan.net/t1449-welco ... loyds.html

Similar to the Greatful Dead's "Wall of Sound" (only 40 shows of that...250 MacIntosh Amps...worlds largest home stereo...I saw one of those at Northwesterns' McGaw Hall November 1, 1973)

A Carefully but MONSTEROUSLY POWERFUL P.A system for EACH INSTRUMENT.

So, Gilmore's Stage level need not have been huge, the muscle was behind it...

When he hit the signature riff of "Shine ON you crazy diamond" ...it was just incredible!
Such clarity and exact tone...

"and the crowd goes wild..."

bootleg is available...
ahzroc
Page

Postby tracynorton on Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:57 pm

ahzroc wrote:I was @ the june 19, 1977 Chicago (Soldier Field) "In the Flesh" show with 95,000 of my best friends.

Their live sound was ASTONISHING.

Best outdoor sound ever, nothing is within miles of it...

I was there about 30 feet from Gilmour, down in front....
You are right, it was astonishing. I remember it well because I was doing two hits of windowpane and about a dozen white crosses, and smoking an aweful lot of pot...and drinking gin we snuck into our boots. The trip back to the QC was equally astonishing.... :shock: :shock:
I was driving. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
tracynorton
Knight

Postby Roy Boltz on Fri May 30, 2014 7:43 pm

I use a DMM into a Roland SDE 3000 so that only the echo is processed by the Roland & it sounds huge.
I set it stereo from each other with the wet sounds are parallel with the dry so the signal hitting the preamp is dry in one input & the delays are fed to the other input.
The delays are set so I can go from mono/stereo pingpong if I am playing stereo at the touch of the footswitch.
I also recommend pedals as I have yet to find anything close that gives a natural overdrive without the aid of some type of dirt box.

In my case I have found bargain price items that get me the close gilmorish sound however they are going up in price.
Big muff is a big deal for some sounds he uses & with that said the bigger thing is the buffers of each component & how well they can interplay or "react" with each other & how they can stack up.
A big thing to take into account is that his use of pedals stacked together are the magic & of course his choice in style of play that makes all the difference.
I use up to three drive pedals at a time at times just so my muff circuit can cut through as th EQ curve needs an upper midboost if you are in a hard & heavy place while soloing.
I don't think there are many who cope with the competing of freq.s in a live setting more than the great Gilmore so dynamics of the song are huge as well.

The key is less dirt more signal= Gilmore as all gain box settings are dirt close to or off.
Level up to the sweet spot & drive a killer preamp like the one in his tube amplifier.
I recently found using a treble boost into my dark channel on my superlead gets me closer than not using it into the bright channel for Gilmore type cleans.
I used Hiwatt before & find just boosting the pre will do wonders as a dry strat needs a push.
I find I can plug into pretty well any good solid 4 input type pre & get the sounds I want.

Last thing & this has been mentioned , play loud.

Cheers
Roy Boltz
King

Postby yavin on Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:05 am

As other people already mentioned, check out the Gilmourish site and the David Gilmour Gear Forum. Both have great sections on how to achieve the right sound on any budget.

And if you really wanna go all the way, get an RA-100:
(better yet, get it's bigger brother, the RA-200.)

Vox AC30 (197x)
Hiwatt DR112 (1972)
yavin
Peasant

Return to Signature Tones