Ampeg re-issues B-15n port-a-flex combo

Safe haven for everything low-frequency. Bass players unite in this forum.

Ampeg re-issues B-15n port-a-flex combo

Postby Painterman on Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:32 pm

I've seen the pics of the new reissue B15-n port-a-flex combos - but I have yet to see one in the flesh or plug into one.

Has anyone on the board seen one or played through one yet? Does anyone know what the street price will be on these?

I've got a B15n from '63 and I love mine - but I am excited to see Ampeg reissue this great workhorse.

Lets discuss the merits of the B-15n.
Sir Bobby Painterman - Knight of the Plexi Palace. (It only took me 8.5 years...)
Painterman
Knight

Re: Ampeg re-issues B-15n port-a-flex combo

Postby Psycho Bass Guy on Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:18 am

The B15N is a legend among amps. The "reissue" by Loud Tech is overpriced and underwhelming, especially when you can buy a real vintage B-15N for less than half the cost of a new one.
Psycho Bass Guy
Court Jester

Postby Psycho Bass Guy on Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:21 am

Psycho Bass Guy
Court Jester

Postby Painterman on Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:53 am

Thanks for the link. Interesting read. The price for new construction and hand-wired (boutique quality) work is on the money - but as it said - you can still find good used B15s for 1/2 the price.

I'm glad Ampeg is making their amps the old fashioned way again. I think they learned their lesson with those Viet Nam-made SVTs from 2-4 years ago.

My friend Bob bought one - took it home - plugged it in - played through it for about 5 minutes when it caught FIRE. He returned it and bought a used 70s SVT for about $800 less than he paid for the new one. Go figure.

For the sake of curiosity - I'd love to borrow one so I could compare it w/ my B15n.
Sir Bobby Painterman - Knight of the Plexi Palace. (It only took me 8.5 years...)
Painterman
Knight

Postby Psycho Bass Guy on Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:16 am

Painterman wrote:I'm glad Ampeg is making their amps the old fashioned way again. I think they learned their lesson with those Viet Nam-made SVTs from 2-4 years ago.

Don't be misled. Only the "Heritage Series" is US made, and even then, they are assembled with cherrypicked Asian production-line parts. Aside from the run of 50 B15N reissues, only the SVT CL and a few cabinets are actually US made, (and most of those only go to endorsers) and I daresay they are still inferior to old US made SVT CL's, which were not anything special in my book anyway. I was no big fan of SLM, but they did manage to be by far to be the most successful owners of the Ampeg name. Loud ruined Mackie, EAW, and every other brand they bought. It's ironic that a corporation made from Sun Capital's real estate ventures is now probably more profitable than its parent.

For the sake of curiosity - I'd love to borrow one so I could compare it w/ my B15n.

Same here, but those 50 are going straight to collectors. There will no doubt be a production line B15N reissue, but it will most likely be Asian made as well.
Psycho Bass Guy
Court Jester

Postby MacG on Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:26 pm

Psycho Bass Guy wrote:
Painterman wrote:I'm glad Ampeg is making their amps the old fashioned way again. I think they learned their lesson with those Viet Nam-made SVTs from 2-4 years ago.

Don't be misled. Only the "Heritage Series" is US made, and even then, they are assembled with cherrypicked Asian production-line parts. Aside from the run of 50 B15N reissues, only the SVT CL and a few cabinets are actually US made, (and most of those only go to endorsers) and I daresay they are still inferior to old US made SVT CL's, which were not anything special in my book anyway. I was no big fan of SLM, but they did manage to be by far to be the most successful owners of the Ampeg name. Loud ruined Mackie, EAW, and every other brand they bought. It's ironic that a corporation made from Sun Capital's real estate ventures is now probably more profitable than its parent.

Same here, but those 50 are going straight to collectors. There will no doubt be a production line B15N reissue, but it will most likely be Asian made as well.

Not correct: http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?t=33370&p=326320

I miss my friend.. RIP Oakland Danny...

"Play it right, Dad ! No More Dwiddely Dwiddely !"
My son Adam at 3 years old. Best advice I ever got..
MacG
Knight

Postby Psycho Bass Guy on Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:54 pm

What part of what I said is not correct? The Heritage Series SVT CL's ARE made in the US from foreign parts, and my speculation of a future offshore run of B15N's was for the future.
Psycho Bass Guy
Court Jester

Return to Bass Talk