Gibson L.P. standard wiring problem

Every brand has a home in this forum. If your like many guitarist and use guitars that are custom built or just production, your in the right place.

Gibson L.P. standard wiring problem

Postby hotguit on Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:06 pm

Hi, hi have a little problem with my Gibson L.P. standard wiring.
I bought this Gibson about 6 years ago and it worked perfectly; it ha two WCR crossroads pick ups and a modern wiring.
yeterday i decided to make the 50s wiring and i noticed that the wiring was not a modern one; it was an hibryd, or better it was not a "standard" wiring.
The neck pick up's tone pot has pins 2 and 3 tied togheter and the pin 2 had a mop of stain linking the pin and the steel plate (ground)
well, i replaced that wiring with the 50s one and changed the caps with two papaer in oil 0,022 caps.
Now problems begin: with a standard 50s wiring the neck pick up does not work alone at all and the guitar sound in bridge and midle position only.
The only way i found to make the neck pick up working is to LINK tone pot's pins 2 and 3 togheter (like the "original" wiring i found); but even in this case the neck pick up's tone does not work at all.
Who can help me? How can i restore the tone functions
I upload an atttachement of the wiring scheme i used.
Thank you
hot
Attachments
wiring50s.jpg
1975 Marshall SL
1969 Marshall SL
1977 Marshall jmp 2203 (ACDC tone machine)
1980 Marhall jmp 2203
1978 Marshall jmp 2204
Marshall cab 4x12 with greenbacks
Marshall cab 4x12 with G12H30
Gibson guitars - R7, R8, R9 SG62, LP standard
Fender heavy relic 60
1985 Kramer baretta I
pedals
Ultimate Attenuator dual
THD hot plate

LIFE'S TOO SHORT FOR A BAD TONE
hotguit
Peasant

Re: Gibson L.P. standard wiring problem

Postby hotguit on Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:07 pm

hotguit wrote:Hi, hi have a little problem with my Gibson L.P. standard wiring.
I bought this Gibson about 6 years ago and it worked perfectly; it ha two WCR crossroads pick ups and a modern wiring.
yeterday i decided to make the 50s wiring and i noticed that the wiring was not a modern one; it was an hibryd, or better it was not a "standard" wiring.
The neck pick up's tone pot has pins 2 and 3 tied togheter and the pin 2 had a mop of stain linking the pin and the steel plate (ground)
well, i replaced that wiring with the 50s one and changed the caps with two paper in oil 0,022 caps.
Now problems begin: with a standard 50s wiring the neck pick up does not work alone at all and the guitar sound in bridge and midle position only.
The only way i found to make the neck pick up working is to LINK tone pot's pins 2 and 3 togheter (like the "original" wiring i found); but even in this case the neck pick up's tone does not work at all.
Who can help me? How can i restore the tone functions
I upload an atttachement of the wiring scheme i used.
Thank you
hot
1975 Marshall SL
1969 Marshall SL
1977 Marshall jmp 2203 (ACDC tone machine)
1980 Marhall jmp 2203
1978 Marshall jmp 2204
Marshall cab 4x12 with greenbacks
Marshall cab 4x12 with G12H30
Gibson guitars - R7, R8, R9 SG62, LP standard
Fender heavy relic 60
1985 Kramer baretta I
pedals
Ultimate Attenuator dual
THD hot plate

LIFE'S TOO SHORT FOR A BAD TONE
hotguit