Isolation Cabs

Dealing with Volume and tone solutions. Keeping a lid on the volume but still getting the tone and sound that is desirable. Many methods to make it real.

Isolation Cabs

Postby Sean Camp on Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:16 pm

Any body using Isolation cabs with or without another separate amplifier on stage. It seems to work for ZZ Top and others. And while they are playing to thousands of people sounds like an even better idea for low volume gigs.
ROCK ON MAN
Love Ya, Buh-By.
Sean Camp
Page

Re: Isolation Cabs

Postby Roy Boltz on Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:17 am

To me, running an iso cab make perfect sense, as long as you have another sound soarce to monitor & also help with feedback effects as you wont get good feedback from post mic feeding your stage monitors, at least I never had a good result trying to get good controled feedback from monitors.
An iso cab can be run seperate & it will translate feedback just great when you use a seperate speaker to run controled feedback.
The thing with an iso cab is that it would probably work better if your time based effects are post mic as if you use long delays into an iso cab the standing waves would probably turn everything to mush, if you know what I mean.

Bolt
Roy Boltz
King

Postby iJeff on Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:34 am

I've read about this. pretty interesting. I read acdc did this. actually I saw an eBay auction selling a wizard amp used by acdc said to be custom made for the isolation amp. I know you can actually purchase small iso boxes for your cabs. I can't remember where I saw them. I think the iso micing is pretty cool for larger bands playing huge venues. def. makes sense.
iJeff
Peasant

Postby onedrum on Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:50 am

i made one and use it all the time. it's awesome! it's not pretty but it works very well
http://www.myspace.com/theafterbeat Bastardized '87 CSA 4212, 2000 Garnet Mohawk, '60's Kiel modded by the late great Gar Gillies
onedrum
Page

Postby Sean Camp on Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:26 am

I know I started this thread but I remember "factory mic'ed cabs" offered from a few vendors in the mid 80's a amplifier company named LEGENED comes to mind. they made guitar amps and cabs. I never saw one that had Tolex or any other covering other than varnish on it, so i suspect they were going for the STUDIO market. Who's got one. The 50 watt combo I heard sounded like an old Marshall only Good. Ha Ha Ha
Love Ya, Buh-By.
Sean Camp
Page

Postby selloutrr on Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:45 am

Demeter has made the iso cab for years.
very easy to DIY two 5 sided boxes open ends together one side gets a microphone the other houses the speaker.
I like them in a live setting to help control bleed on stage. the cleaner the stems the easier to ploish the mix.
Not a huge fan in the studio, I prefer different studio mics and to load the room and let the amp breathe, but I've tracked some great solo's with an iso cab.
it's all about box volume, speaker, and Microphone.
due to the pressure inside the pretty much sealed cabinet the SM57 (dynamic) microphone seems to be the standard.
selloutrr
Certified

Postby Ned B on Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:33 pm

I have wondered about using isocabs for re-amping. I would assume the cab would have to go to a mic preamp then effects before the power amp.
Ned B
Baron

Postby selloutrr on Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:13 pm

Reamping signal chain

Original Performance - Direct box - preamp or Channel Strip - recorder

Recorded DI'd signal out (direct send/ aux/ matrix, bus) - Reamp box (reversed Direct box) It's stepping the signal from volt back down to milivolt to not over load the input stage of the amplifier. - Amp (preamp - (fx loop if desired) - Power amp) - speaker/iso cab - Microphone(s)

I do not know of a self powered Iso cab, I don't see the value in one being that you would be limited to the amps you could use. Only preamps or amps with a preamp out. But the amp would still need to see load on the output or speaker cabinet- defeating the point in an iso cab.
selloutrr
Certified

Postby Ned B on Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:54 am

I was thinking of it as a way to create a personal PA of sorts.
Ned B
Baron

Postby selloutrr on Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:19 am

here is basically a cross section of what an ISO cab is.
isocab.jpg
selloutrr
Certified

Postby madjackhatter on Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:23 pm

I made one that is ugly as sin but works very well. I use it for recording only though, alot of the small gigs I play the real estate on stage is at a premium and I have had relatively few issues with a mic on a combo. But recording, whoa!!! It sounds huge and clean but I went through several speaker/mic configurations to get there and the final set up still makes me scratch my head. (an old 10" speaker cannabalized from a Lowery organ and a Behringer large diaphram condenser mic that only cost about 90 bucks) The sound speaks for itself but it sounds much better than the Jensen and the ol' 57... :dunno: :mrgreen:
Recordings from Kerosene Highway and Madjackhatter here...
https://soundcloud.com/kerosene-highway
madjackhatter
Mad Baron

Postby AllenElwood on Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:09 pm

Last edited by AllenElwood on Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Allen Elwood-Blues
AllenElwood
Certified

Postby selloutrr on Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:30 pm

you can hinge the middle between the speaker baffle and the microphone. the removeable panel also works. Google demeters iso box they had a hatch you culd reach in and adjust the microphone.

When using a high quality microphone make sure the SPL inside the box does not exceed the manufactures spec. of you may blow up the diaphram.
selloutrr
Certified

Postby kaminari13 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:07 pm

I really cant stand the idea of isolation cabs, why?
i love controllable feedback which means sticking my guitar in the speaker etc.
cant fake that sound even with another speaker cos that has to be loud enough to feedback too so why the iso?
the other thing i dont lke is that they are mostly too small to get "bloom" meaning if you place a mic a little further back from the membrane there is a broader tone spectrum (not as bright i know but sometimes nice for the natural tone)
I also find that you can fake the sound of a large speaker cab ,even if you are just micing one speaker there is a very different resonance,
I did however see some youtube footage of status quos live set up with an isolation enclosure which was massive with a 4 12er in it i think, that seemed to make more sense even if its rediculously large.
maybe a freezer would be cool (no pun intended) like a really big one that people have in their garages ,you could get a 2x12 er in there and just cut an inch of magnet strip out for the cables.
please somebody try this ,i dont have one
its maybe worth it for a really cheap solution ,you might have to eat alot afterwards if the food defrosts
Damn !maybe i should put some tolex on my fridge
Still dont like iso boxes though :old:
kaminari13
Peasant

Return to Sound Control