Room Control

Dealing with Volume and tone solutions. Keeping a lid on the volume but still getting the tone and sound that is desirable. Many methods to make it real.

Room Control

Postby Sean Camp on Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:55 pm

Thanx to my band offering deep discount gigs( patting self on back), a local bar in my small town has decided to have bands :D . The room he has Is not really set up for it, a long thin room with hard surfaces. All I could suggest was what my band Boogie Two Shoes did =put drapes (black of course) around the stage. But, I would like to pass on some other ideas to him because permanent drapes would have to be Flame Retardant read expensive for safety (and probably fire code).and asking bands to bring their own would be impractical.

Does anyone know how to build or have easy designs for thing like bass traps, those slat things one sees in drum booths,, corner traps, etc.. I dont think he will build a stage but if he does what is a good lower cost way to keep the monitor and other rumble down. I have some Ideas but really dont know how to design things like that. He and one of the guys in my band work at the power plant building scaffolds and general framework so, I know they could take any of your ideas and adapt them to the space and the scrap materials we could gather. These guy are good Union builders but not Acoustic Designers.
I'm offering my limited consultation and maybe some PA for free because his will be the only place were bands can play the kind of music they feel :thumbsup: rather than LCD dance stuff (We're stuck in Rick Springfield, Krazy Bi@tch TOP 40 only Here :cry: :oops: ).

Please, help keep The Music alive.
Love Ya, Buh-By.
Sean Camp
Page

Re: Room Control

Postby Quig on Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:57 am

Sean Camp wrote:Thanx to my band offering deep discount gigs( patting self on back), a local bar in my small town has decided to have bands :D . The room he has Is not really set up for it, a long thin room with hard surfaces. All I could suggest was what my band Boogie Two Shoes did =put drapes (black of course) around the stage. But, I would like to pass on some other ideas to him because permanent drapes would have to be Flame Retardant read expensive for safety (and probably fire code).and asking bands to bring their own would be impractical.

Does anyone know how to build or have easy designs for thing like bass traps, those slat things one sees in drum booths,, corner traps, etc.. I dont think he will build a stage but if he does what is a good lower cost way to keep the monitor and other rumble down. I have some Ideas but really dont know how to design things like that. He and one of the guys in my band work at the power plant building scaffolds and general framework so, I know they could take any of your ideas and adapt them to the space and the scrap materials we could gather. These guy are good Union builders but not Acoustic Designers.
I'm offering my limited consultation and maybe some PA for free because his will be the only place were bands can play the kind of music they feel :thumbsup: rather than LCD dance stuff (We're stuck in Rick Springfield, Krazy Bi@tch TOP 40 only Here :cry: :oops: ).

Please, help keep The Music alive.

Some DIY basstrapping in the corners should be easy enough, make a "bookcase" without the shelves in it, fill it half deep with rockwool, hang some kind of heavy cloth loose in front of the rockwool, and then some webbing of some kind on the outside to make it look ok. The bigger the traps, the lower in frequencies they'll go.

Also, remember people make a great Acoustic Dampener as well. So the bands that draws a big crowd, sound better :D
"If one man can show this much hate, think of how much love we can show together."

-Quote of a norwegian teenager from Utoya in an interview with CNN
Quig
Page

Postby wolfhead on Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:17 pm

Definitely bass traps (floor to ceiling) in every corner will help tame those low frequencies. +1 on the wood frames, rock wool, covered in burlap.
wolfhead
Squire

Postby Sean Camp on Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:03 pm

Belated Thanx for the bookcase idea, sounds good.
Love Ya, Buh-By.
Sean Camp
Page

Postby selloutrr on Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:57 am

whatever you use make sure it's fire proof!

Why bother trying to acoustically control a bar that is not setup for live sound? you can drive yourself crazy trying to get it sound good.
point your amps across the stage this will give a nice blend of the music plus you and the drummer can hear them and not blast the drinkers. If you are using a PA make sure you have a 31 band graphic eq on each monitor so you can deal with feedback. Set a max volume and start the night way below that level. The best sound proofing and acoustical treatment are people, those big squishy bags of water lol Your two biggest weakness are your drummers over all volume and the bass players 160hz and down. if you can keep a handle on the volume and not start a who can't hear who cause so and so is to whatever. the band should be able to make any venue sound good. The better you sound the longer people stay and the longer they stay the more they drink.. the more they drink the happier the bar owner is.. the more shows you get.
selloutrr
Certified

Return to Sound Control