XL'nt 4um 4um and me

Dealing with Volume and tone solutions. Keeping a lid on the volume but still getting the tone and sound that is desirable. Many methods to make it real.

XL'nt 4um 4um and me

Postby Sean Camp on Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:19 am

Hey, I the only guy on the forum who can control sound and still forum on the forum about the forum for, um, I guess, 2 start anyhow.
Lets talk about some FAILS of sound contolling.
Me First. k
When I first started playing ELECTRIC instead of the acoustic baritone Uke I thought ALL distortion was made but fuzz pedals not Overdriving an amp. So, I bought a friends fuzz/wha, put a mic in the sound hole of my uke and plugged it into my mom's solid state stereo and nailed 'i thought' the tone for the live version of REO Speedwagon's Golden Country. Then I found 'Natural Distortion' by running the speaker out of one channel on said stereo and feeding it into the other trying to gain more gain (volume). This added to the fuzz was more than the stereo or my dad could stand.
The next day my dad brought home a Global guitar from SEARS a RadioShack PA. and a 10 inch Jensen Special Musical Instrument Speaker in a home made wedge from my cousins' !PRO! band, a little fuzz/wha and I discovered "MY SOUND" and CONTROLLABLE FEEDBACK.
I guess thats not a Fail. How did you first find "YOUR SOUND"and CONTROL IT?
Love Ya, Buh-By.
Sean Camp
Page

Re: XL'nt 4um 4um and me

Postby Thermionik on Tue May 04, 2010 10:04 pm

Well - back in the late sixties and early seventies I borrowed a JTM45 and a 4x12 to play here and there, and it was good. Well, i let rip one day, just to see how loud it got. Man, it sounded awesome.

Then (when the '45 went back) I spent forty years in the wilderness with H||H, WEM, VOX, Sound City, Hi-Watt, Selmer, and too many others to mention. And pedals, all naff (the pedals, not the amps, they were mostly good). Then I stumbled over a Carlsbro 100 watt all valve PA with reverb. She was loud but sweet, with more clean headroom than a tall hat, so I whipped up a Bridged-T attenuator to drop 12dB for smaller gigs, and aquired some small-magnet Pre-Rola Celestions - seriously innefficient, or "quiet" in normal speak.

Then, joy of joys, I went right back to the beginning - and "stumbled upon" a '62 6G6-A Brownfaced Bassman out of Fullerton - so sold the Carly to an Estonian rocker. Then I found a Traynor YGL3 with a blown PSU diode for next to nothing (£20 sterling, about $35US) which I repaired with parts from the scrap box (4 diodes and one capacitor). Didn't really want to sell the Bassman but serious money from a Finnish metal-head meant a deal was done..... but the Traynor is basically a Fender Twin-Reverb on Marshall steroids, so I lost little and gained much. And the Celestions fitted nicely, and the attenuator tames it a little when needed.

How good? - Well, I sold my Big Muff Pi Version II, all-violet Ram's Head, and the dust on my Boss SD-1 is thick these days. Recordings still use a rack FX sometimes (Yamaha FX770), but the mighty Traynor covers most bases.

So that's how I found it - as for controlling it, well small magnet Celestions sound good but quiet and, contrary to what you read everywhere, a well built resistive Bridged-T has almost no effect on tone (plus there is no "wrong" way to connect it up and the impedance "seen" by the amp remains about right regardless of what you hook up to - and it costs very little).

But - as they say - YMMV..... :thumbsup:
String driven things and thermionics.....
humble offerings for your amusement YouTube and SoundCloud
Thermionik
Knight

Re: XL'nt 4um 4um and me

Postby Sean Camp on Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:41 pm

I love the Brown Faced Bassman myself. I discovered the Bass channel was My Sound when the Normal went out at a gig.
Love Ya, Buh-By.
Sean Camp
Page

Return to Sound Control