Eff'n Phantom Attenuator!!

Dealing with Volume and tone solutions. Keeping a lid on the volume but still getting the tone and sound that is desirable. Many methods to make it real.

Eff'n Phantom Attenuator!!

Postby Elixier84 on Sun May 09, 2010 11:55 pm

Has anyone gotten their Phantom Attenuator yet? I've been on the 3rd production list since effin November and they only have 9 sub assemblies built so far. UGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH! :x
"Even a bird would want a taste of dirt from abyssal dark."
Elixier84
Certified

Re: Eff'n Phantom Attenuator!!

Postby Thermionik on Tue May 11, 2010 6:45 am

I am starting to wonder if the "Phantom" part of the name is a hint..... :?
String driven things and thermionics.....
humble offerings for your amusement YouTube and SoundCloud
Thermionik
Knight

Postby Elixier84 on Mon May 17, 2010 2:26 am

Ya it turns out that the company they had building these things is all tied up building their own stuff now. So what that means is the people at faustine have to train new people and hire a new company to build the remaining orders. In other words, two additional months added to the wait time. I really hope this thing is worth it.
Elixier84
Certified

Postby Thermionik on Mon May 17, 2010 5:05 pm

So - are you sticking with it? As in - waiting for your order to be fulfilled? I know the Faustine stuff has generally good reviews and the Phantom has people raving about it - but I keep thinking how good can a bunch of passive components be, a couple of rheostats, some inductors, capacitors and hefty resistors. It ain't rocket science - shoot - even rocket science ain't rocket science (my eyebrows have grown back now.....).

I have a fixed attenuator - Bridge-T resistor array to drop 12dB, tames the loudest louds a little - the desk says the mic is turning out less volts, the sound guy is a bit happier. But - and here's the thing - I persuaded the tape-jockey to record the amp [1] raw and [2] attenuated and then [3] raw BUT TURNED DOWN AT THE GUITAR TO GIVE THE SAME LEVEL AS ATTENUATED and guess what. [3] sounded better to me, and he cut them up and played them to me blind. Then again, he said [1] sounded best. Who knows. It's all subjective.

Sorry - I'll stop rambling now - but let us know when you get it what you think. :thumbsup:
Thermionik
Knight

Postby Elixier84 on Mon May 17, 2010 6:24 pm

Ya I'm definetly going to stick it out. I've waited this long. Your right though, its not rocket science at all. Its just that Tim expects a certain level of quality from his products so the production process is much more involved. I'll let you know for sure how it turns out. This is the beast that i'm trying to tame. JTM45ish amplifier in a 1974x combo cab through a JBL D120f. 35 watts of smooth textured harmonic bliss :D
Attachments
back.jpg
front.jpg
Elixier84
Certified

Postby Thermionik on Mon May 17, 2010 10:30 pm

Nice - and JTM45'ish is pretty nice sounding - my first serious amp was a borrowed JTM50 head back in the late sixties, came out just after the 45's. Drove a Marshall 4x12 and was insanely loud - so I can see why you might want to reign her in sometimes. Good looking cab - what make?
Thermionik
Knight

Postby Elixier84 on Mon May 17, 2010 11:14 pm

Loud indeed. The d120f is a very efficient speaker as well so it doesn't help my situation much. The cab was made by mojo. Its extremely well built and came with stainless steel inserts and screws.
Elixier84
Certified

Return to Sound Control