Studio moved to new room

Recording systems, Software, Microphones, plugins, computers that work, the best ways to capture the sound. A good place to start figuring out that sound is here.

Studio moved to new room

Postby MichaelE on Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:58 am

This 10x20 room used to be my workshop. The bench holding the mixer was my e-lab bench and there is another wood bench that's out of view that has yet to be moved. The other finished room in the basement was too small for tracking anyone other than me, and was getting cramped with all of the equipment.

At the end of July, all of this will be moved once again to start framing out the walls, laying the sub-floor, and doing electrical work. In the mean time I'm just playing mostly and watching for moisture problems. Spring is a good time for that as I've had water in there before after a heavy, all day rain, but it's just a trickle on the opposite end. I'm going to grade the outside ground away from the foundation at that point and it should be OK.

After the room is finished I'll be acoustically treating it and I'm researching my options now. I'll probably be building the bass traps, absorbers and diffusors myself because this stuff is so damn costly.

The mix table legs will probably be on dollies so it can be pulled back to the 38% position for mixing. I don't want to permanently leave it that far back from the wall because it uses too much valuable tracking space.

Still a lot of work to do, but at least I'm in and I have my mancave back.

MichaelE
Page

Re: Studio moved to new room

Postby onedrum on Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:46 pm

want a quick fix for your corners? you know those acoustic panels they put in drop ceilings? put a few of those in the corners. super cheap, quick fix and instant results.
http://www.myspace.com/theafterbeat Bastardized '87 CSA 4212, 2000 Garnet Mohawk, '60's Kiel modded by the late great Gar Gillies
onedrum
Page

Postby MichaelE on Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:31 am

What frequencies are those really trapping?
MichaelE
Page

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:44 pm

Cool new digs Mike, something Beatlesque about a basement.... :P :wink: :cheers:
ImageImageImage

John Lennon/Jimi Hendrix/Jimmy Page Fan
Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Postby MichaelE on Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:18 am

Well Abbey Road it ain't, but it's a lot more room than where I was. Sure glad to be in there too.

I'm not really looking forward to building this out, but I know it'll be much nicer when I finish.
MichaelE
Page

Postby onedrum on Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:26 am

i haven't sat down and figured out the frequencies yet, but i can tell you it helps ALOT with eliminating the weird boxiness associated with a square room. i use it more for odd reverberation within the room. try it.. i promise you'll be pleased. you'll hear the difference instantly. for a quick fix in my place, I hung some material in front of me, those panels in the corners, and an acoustic panel at the back of the room behind me. (the kind you'd use in a live room behind a drummer) maybe this all just worked for me because of the large size of my control room? I didn't have any really bad frequencies in the room to start with.. it was just a matter of calming it down a little. my control room is as big as most home studios' live rooms mind you, so it was a little lively. i'll take some pics when i get back from my bike ride and show you what i mean.
http://www.myspace.com/theafterbeat Bastardized '87 CSA 4212, 2000 Garnet Mohawk, '60's Kiel modded by the late great Gar Gillies
onedrum
Page

Postby MichaelE on Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:02 pm

OK Thanks.

While clearing out the rest of the basement I found some high-density 2" thick 18"x24" foam squares. I stacked these up in the corners and immediately heard the bass roll off and the mids were tamed down a little. This seems to be where the room has problems. This isn't a permanent solution, but I couldn't chuck out the foam without trying it once. I also found a couple of thinner 2'x2' softer foam 1/2" thick and folded it in half and stuck it behind the monitors. I didn't hear any sort of change with this but I left it there anyway.

I stumbled across a site last night while looking for some cheap treatment and found this place: http://www.atsacoustics.com/cat--ATS-Acoustic-Panels--100.html I may order a set of four panels for first reflections on the sides, front, and ceiling. Maybe two more for farther back in the room. The properties are similar to rockwool or 703 but at a drastically lower price.

This is going to be an interesting summer project.

There is another room directly behind where I took the overall room photo, but it's only 9'x9'. I had given some though about using it as a control room, but it's not big enough, the dimensions are wrong, and I'd never be able to get it soundproofed enough to use as a control room so I let that idea pass. I've been tracking and mixing in the same room for nearly thirty years so why stop now. :lol:
MichaelE
Page

Postby onedrum on Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:58 am

haha! i hear ya.. my control room isn't very well isolated from my live room yet, but i live with it!!
onedrum
Page

Postby onedrum on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:51 pm

i'm too lazy to take new pics so i found two that show what i'm talkin about. no that's not me in the pic. bass player i was recording.

onedrum
Page

Postby MichaelE on Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:59 am

I found out on another site that R-13 through R-23 un-faced insulation has about the same trapping properties that rockwool or 703 has if left rolled up and stacked in the corners.

That might be worth looking into. All I'd have to do is buy some burlap material to wrap them up in and stack 'em in the corner. It certainly wouldn't look anything like a conventional bass trap. It does take up a fair amount of floor space in the corners though. But then again, those corners in my room aren't doing anything either.

I decided against studding out the end wall and the right side wall. I'm only going to stud out the left wall and build an angled wall at the end of the left wall that will have a solid core steel door.

I haven't decided yet whether to build a floor or hang a de-coupled ceiling from the floor joists above using Z channel. I can't do both because the room height is only 7'. If I do both it's going to be like entering a cave. And not the man-cave type of cave.
MichaelE
Page

Postby plexi on Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:25 am

Save your self the misery and work. I wrote an article for MacProVideo.com Blog. Read this, Your problem is solved. Seriously.
Attachments
Screen shot 2011-02-02 at 9.23.22 PM.png
plexi
Site Admin

Postby MichaelE on Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:39 pm

That was a very interesting article. Ubfortunately there is no computer in the studio with which to use this.
MichaelE
Page

Return to Recording Gear, Mics, Software and Techniques