Tube PA for PA

The gear that's hot and gear that's not. Live sound can make or break your gig. Microphone placement,Mixing Boards, Power amps and speakers.

Tube PA for PA

Postby Sean Camp on Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:57 pm

Does anyone use tube PA gear for vocals such as fender PA 135 even WEM or Marshall, maybe just tube preamps to fatten up a loud and cutting but otherwise thin vocalist ( like me)? Many of the gigs I do only require 300 watts total from the PA, usually 2 or 3 vocals and a little kick drum just to fill the dance floor. Total meaning mains and monitors. I prefer Old school using big amps in big rooms and little amps in little rooms.I aslo hate 'Modern' gated drums but do like some compression. I guess my question is. " Since i don't have a front of house Soundman on my smallish gigs is it easier to use the old style gear or simulate the sound with compressors and tube mic pre's?" I will still use modern ElectroVoice speakers.
Love Ya, Buh-By.
Sean Camp
Page

Re: Tube PA for PA

Postby onedrum on Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:23 pm

with small gigs, the more simple your set-up the better. less to go wrong. for me, two speakers on stands and a 5-6 channel powered mixer with a little reverb is PLENTY. any mixer with at least a 7 band eq is perfect cuz you can dial back bad frequencies. plug and play man, plug and play.
http://www.myspace.com/theafterbeat Bastardized '87 CSA 4212, 2000 Garnet Mohawk, '60's Kiel modded by the late great Gar Gillies
onedrum
Page

Postby Sean Camp on Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:03 am

I thought that would be the easiest in general but what about the tube warmth part. Do you know of an EZ to use tube compressor that I could put across the mix or maybe just the vocals to warm them up a little, something that once I get it set, a glance at the meters could tall me if it's doing what I think it's doing. My voice is really quite harsh around 1.5K and once I pull that out on the EQ my voice is just 'thin'.
Love Ya, Buh-By.
Sean Camp
Page

Postby thirdman333 on Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:51 am

for smaller gigs and recording (which we do live) i use a silvertone 1485 with a mxr boost it works very good with my voice and my bands style i will set the amp up about 2 feet or so and mic'd through the house pa if its got one. and or cheesy peavy amp bass amp set up nice and clean to amp amplify the silvertone even more just good ole boy it pretty much but always sounds cool very vintage tube pa sound
Never met a wise man if so its a woman
thirdman333
Squire

Postby rockinsc on Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:18 pm

its all about what kind of music are you playing. If your doing a little accoustic gig with nice harmony and low volume a tube amp will work for a live gig and to fill up your vocals use a very quick echo at a low volume to fill up your vocals. A reverb tends to add harshness in small rooms where a quick slapback will make the vocals sound fat but if the rate is too slow or too fast you lose the fatness so try it before you go do the gig. in a louder show stay away from the tube pa as it will not handel the levels and to get it loud you need big horn type cabinets to get any volume. I do agree with the guy who said keep it simple cause if your playing and mixing at the same time it tends to be a problem. I sugest setting up getting a good balance with all players and remember as the night progresses and more people show up the sound needs to go up but thats going to happen anyway just because as you play and your ears get acoustomed to the current level you feel the need to get louder and when the stage volume goes up you have to take the FOH level up to match so if your mixing onstage make sure you have a friend (wife,girlfriend,club employee) to let you know what it sounds like out front cause it sound different when your onstage but if you have a good level their it will translate to the rest of te house as well.
rockinsc
Peasant

Return to Live Sound Reinforcement