How should a good P-Bass sound?

Safe haven for everything low-frequency. Bass players unite in this forum.

How should a good P-Bass sound?

Postby kominak on Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:07 pm

I've built myself a precision bass copy, like her sound quite a bit, but I'm a guitarist and don't really know how is the classic p-bass really supposed to sound. What recordings with p-bass do you consider "classic"? Want to compare how close did I get :)
kominak
Certified

Re: How should a good P-Bass sound?

Postby brycebites on Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:51 am

That's a tricky one. In the same way that you can't nail "the" rickenbacker tone (Paul McCartney/Geddy Lee - worlds apart in tone but both most definitely ric's) the precision tone is just as varied. James Jamerson and Phil Lynott both played P's and had the P tone but both were so totally different.

For me the classic precision tone is the clankier one ala Phil Lynott, JJ Brunel, Steve Harris (even Geddy Lee and Bruce Foxton recorded/played them).
I am really pleased with the tone I got playing my P copy (rotosound nickel strings and Seymour Duncan Sledge Hammer pickup) through my Sound City L120 and 2x Eden 1x15 cabs.

http://www.hushtheband.com/music/03%20Radar%20Love-edit.mp3
http://www.hushtheband.com - UK Classic Rock Covers
brycebites
Certified

Postby kominak on Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:24 pm

Great clip! The bass tone was very easy to read, thanks a lot.
Yes, I understand that the range of tones/styles may be rather wide - maybe I should place my question differently. The thing is I'm completely new to bass playing and need to get a feel for various tones this bass should be capable of.
Like for example Strat guitar is used from country to blues to metal, but most of the time I know by ear it's a strat playing and know how to get that tone from my strat (and pedals/amps).
So, if anyone knows a song that has a p-bass sounds that is clear to hear, shoot. Anything from Motown to punk is OK!
kominak
Certified

Postby Damocles74 on Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:16 am

There was this goldilock's zone between the late 60's and mid 70's for that vintage, bohemian P bass thump. I'ts very difficult to achieve; I actually believe you need a period instrument (of that era) to properly replicate that tone (Glenn Cornick, Geezer, JPJ!!).
/Step down lower,into the grave/
Damocles74
Court Jester

Postby kaminari13 on Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:06 pm

kominak wrote:Great clip! The bass tone was very easy to read, thanks a lot.
Yes, I understand that the range of tones/styles may be rather wide - maybe I should place my question differently. The thing is I'm completely new to bass playing and need to get a feel for various tones this bass should be capable of.
Like for example Strat guitar is used from country to blues to metal, but most of the time I know by ear it's a strat playing and know how to get that tone from my strat (and pedals/amps).
So, if anyone knows a song that has a p-bass sounds that is clear to hear, shoot. Anything from Motown to punk is OK!

here are some classic p-bass sounds ,almost anything by the stranglers , no more heroes cos its a goodun,
nomeansno , dark ages starts with a strong p-bass ,the damned ,the intro to love song is a classic ,you should be able to instantly recognise the connection that makes the bass sound stick out(not just that its really loud in the mix)
kaminari13
Peasant

Postby Forge on Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:19 pm

anything from the 57 RI to a standard usa p rock a solid p-bass tone to compare to at the store if you wanna get a feel for it hands on.

i love fenders and have gone through a few p's myself, and none of them sounded the same. had a p-special, california series, usa standard, 57 ri, even a highway one jazz.

my usa standard i recently gutted, threw in a set of 19k dimarzio split p's and some d'addario chromes and it sounds absolutely amazing, though nothing like any pbass ive ever heard.

a 'good' p-bass is debatable, ive heard usa ones that sound terrible and mexican ones that sound great, and everything in between. if it plays nice and you like the tone, then keep rockin' it brother
Forge
Peasant

Return to Bass Talk