Which is best modern guitar to play

Every brand has a home in this forum. If your like many guitarist and use guitars that are custom built or just production, your in the right place.

Which is best modern guitar to play

Postby jonehank on Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:37 am

Hi,
Hey guys I am in search of some modern guitars which are best to play.Hope you guys share your interest and knowledge with me regarding these.any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Bye Bye 2009
jonehank
Peasant

Re: Which is best modern guitar to play

Postby chupy on Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:27 pm

You’ll get a million different answers. First lets narrow it down.

What’s your budget?

What feels good in your hands? Fat neck, thin neck, medium neck, there’s different profiles, thickness, radiuses and scale lengths.

Bolt on or set neck?

Wide tall frets, wide short frets, thin tall frets, thin short frets?

What type of bridge? Tremelo, hardtail, Tele type, wrap around, stop tail piece?

Single coils or humbuckers? Single coils will be brighter, cleaner and have a thinner sound but will have 60 cycle hum. Humbuckers will have a darker thicker sound with no 60 cycle hum. Then there's active pickups in single coils and humbuckers. Also stacked single coils. Then there’s P90’s which are a bigger single coil found in many Gibson’s. Many different pickups to choose from that I haven’t even touched on.

What kind of wood? Mahogany, swamp ash, alder, poplar, basswood... Many more species of wood to choose from. Some come with a top. Like mahogany with a maple top, most Les Paul’s come like that. Different woods gives different tones.

What gauge of strings will you be using? What tuning? Some thinner necks have difficulty with heavier strings tuned to 440hz.

Best to go to a store and try out as many as possible to help you decide.

Best bang for the buck...

Fender Classic Series '50s Stratocaster if looking for a traditional guitar with a V profile and a curved radius for a low price.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/prod ... sku=510136

Fender Classic Series '60s Stratocaster but with a C profile neck with a curved radius.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/prod ... sku=510135

Fender Standard Stratocaster, flatter radius, good for those who like a lower action.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/prod ... sku=501158

Les Paul Studio, much like the Standard but with a thinner top and no binding.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/prod ... sku=517030

Many more to choose from, this is just the tip of the iceberg. Always buy in person, never buy online. That way you get what you want instead of relying on reviews and opinions. What someone might like, might not be what you like.
chupy

Postby Thunnus on Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:13 pm

Does anyone own a Grosh Retro Classic. I am thinking about buying one. I have a Custom Shop Clapton but I'm not happy with it. I'm hoping the Grosh will be more to my liking.

Any opinions?
Rich
65' JTM 45
Coyote 1x12-Blue!!!!!!
Marshall JVM
64' Ampeg B12
Marshall Artis 30
Thunnus
Court Jester

Postby rockindillo on Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:46 pm

+1 on the Fender Mexico standard stuff. I have a great 60s Tele in Candy apple red which, with a few small tweaks, is an exceptional instrument. The G&L Tributes are great, too - beautifully made and finished with great hardware and electrics
TIM
Listen to "The Blues Is Back!" on Saint FM 94.7 8pm-10pm UK time every Sunday night http://www.saintfm.org.uk
Myspaces:
http://www.myspace.com/timaves
http://www.myspace.com/therockinarmadillos
http://www.myspace.com/autoslim
rockindillo
Peasant

Postby chupy on Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:12 am

Also check out the Japanese Strat’s and Tele's, great construction and great tone for a good price. 8)
chupy

Postby Peteyvee on Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:30 pm

rockindillo wrote:+1 on the Fender Mexico standard stuff. I have a great 60s Tele in Candy apple red which, with a few small tweaks, is an exceptional instrument. The G&L Tributes are great, too - beautifully made and finished with great hardware and electrics

+2 on those. I have a 50's Classic Strat. With a basic setup and fret polish it is a great axe for the money and I'm a Gibson guy...
"The problem with kids today is that their hair's too short and their music isn't loud enough." -Peteyvee
"It's not the notes you play, it's the notes you don't play." -Miles Davis
Peteyvee
Keeper of the Shrub

Postby geoff_bell on Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:57 pm

try something cool to look at like the eastwood airline guitars or something by danelectro. no idea what they play like or sound like, but i take it you other guitar(s) is/are something more "traditional" (strat/tele or les paul perhaps), so go for something cookie.
geoff_bell
Knight

Postby ValveLust on Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:24 pm

PRS................

Just try a couple out!

:jam:
ValveLust
Squire

Postby marantz1300 on Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:19 am

I had a PRS Custom 22,light,comfy,versatile. I prefered my Hamer.It has a more vintage feel,fantastic neck and great tone.Musicman's are really nice too,compact,fast and high build quality. Image Image
marantz1300
Page

Postby kenji on Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:06 pm

IMO,
Anything from John Suhr or Tom Anderson.
Live To Win.....
kenji
Knight

Postby geoff_bell on Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:44 am

or if you want different sounds at the flick of a switch, take a look at the line6 variax. i'm sure it's the kind of instrument that would get sneered at here, but the magazines think it's a worthwhile instrument.
geoff_bell
Knight

Postby Frankie Sixxxgun on Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:26 pm

For what style of music? Anybody wanna place bets on which guitar brand I suggest?
Frankie Sixxxgun
The King of Crash

Postby Thunnus on Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:23 pm

I bought the Don Grosh Retro Classic. It is comparible to a master built strat in quality but only $1800. It is awesome.
Rich
65' JTM 45
Coyote 1x12-Blue!!!!!!
Marshall JVM
64' Ampeg B12
Marshall Artis 30
Thunnus
Court Jester

Postby sultan_of_sound on Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:34 pm

Carvin.

Extremely high value for the money..... Carvins are production guitars that are easily (and cheaply) customized to your wants and needs, and nothing else touches them for the price because they sell direct. Very high build quality and attention to detail. Not an investment guitar..... they don't appreciate like Fenders or Gibsons do. But they are the Honda Accords of guitars.... reasonably priced, great to drive, and last a long, long time. I love mine.... a DC127tk they built me in 1992.... never a single issue with it....still my most played and versatile guitar.... over my '63 Tele, '69 Gretsch 6103, '01 MIM Strat, '04 LP Studio....
Yeah, I'm a Packrat!!! (Who's laughing now?!?)
sultan_of_sound
Certified

Postby crowdaddy on Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:39 pm

This is an old post but my 2cents prs. You'll spend more time playing than fussing. imho
crowdaddy
Certified

Next

Return to Modern Guitars