Reine Fiske anyone?

The greatest names in guitar, the sounds that we all want and have chased for years. This is the central location for decoding the elusive signature sounds.

Reine Fiske anyone?

Postby thechrisl on Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:31 pm

Anyone heard this guy? He's currently in a Swedish band called Dungen, formerly in Paatos, Landberk and Morte Macabre.

I've been pretty impressed with his style for a few years now. Alternates between huge fuzzy leads and subtle vol-rolled-off melodies. Dungen is kind of a schizophrenic mix with the main songwriter doing a lot of vocal harmonies and hippy tunes then unleashing Fiske for a contrasting solo section or extended coda. He has a very genuine "vintage" style IMHO. Uses a Strat-Fender Amp-Mayer fuzz though I'm not sure what else.

Dungen studio track (one of their best):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IloFmW

Short Morte Macabre boot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YRv41IIWU0

Great forum by the way. chrisL
thechrisl
Peasant

Re: Reine Fiske anyone?

Postby The Pup on Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:16 am

Edit: ????
Last edited by The Pup on Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Pup
Prince

Postby thechrisl on Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:54 pm

OK then...
thechrisl
Peasant

Postby Cussion on Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:44 pm

Hi, Reine is a friend of mine. Very talented player and a very nice guy.

He's playing a Stratocaster that he put together from various '60s Strat parts.
Fuzz Face, Klemt Echolette echo, Roger Mayer Octavia, Crybaby and various amps..
Mostly 4-hole Marshalls.. sometimes he's using a Fender Twin Reverb or a Vox AC50.
- Set the controls for the heart of the sun -
Cussion
Certified

Postby thechrisl on Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:15 pm

Glad to see someone knew what the @#&& I was talking about. I finally got to see Dungen on their recent tour. Great show, Echolette right there on top of the head too. Looks like he had a new Roland RE-20 as a back up for the Klemt. I'm sure international club touring is brutal on that vintage gear...

Having been a fan of Landberk back in the 90's I was surprised (at some point) to find out it was the same guitarist in these other bands. Really think he should be be included in the current crop of "guitar heroes" (as over-used as that term is). Maybe he lacks some of the ego or good PR. Oh well enough gushing, hopefully we get to hear some new material this year.
thechrisl
Peasant

Postby The P-Man on Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:04 pm

Great guitarist, great band...does anyone know if the Fuzz face is vintage? Germanium or silicon? It sounds incredible but looks suspiciously like a standard Dunlop red reissue?!
The P-Man
Peasant

Postby thechrisl on Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:32 pm

As I recall, he wasn't using a fuzz face on this last tour (though it has been a while). I do remember seeing a silver Schaller much like this one. He was also using the guitar vol/tone knobs quite a bit to get various sounds.

http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/schaller/fuzz
thechrisl
Peasant

Postby thechrisl on Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:38 pm

BTW I was wondering the same thing about the Crybaby, vintage or reissue? It seems like he definitely has an old-school ethic when it comes to gear (and tone) but who knows. From what I've heard, anything played through an Echolette (as a pre and/or echo) automatically sounds a few decades older anyway! :thumbsup:
thechrisl
Peasant

Postby Cussion on Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:29 pm

Reine´s favourite fuzz was a Marshall Supa Fuzz.. unfortunately he lost it somehow..
He replaced it with a Fuzz Face.. now it seems like he´s using a Schaller Fuzz, just like Bo-Anders Persson of Trad Gras & Stenar (one of Reine´s favourite groups)

I bought an old Echolette NG51 a few weeks ago, and I gotta say I'm in love with it. There´s some kind of magic going on there.
It really sounds like you´re standing in the middle of a fantasy forrest and playing.
- Set the controls for the heart of the sun -
Cussion
Certified

Postby Camembert Electrique on Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:38 am

Cussion wrote:
Reine´s favourite fuzz was a Marshall Supa Fuzz.. unfortunately he lost it somehow..
He replaced it with a Fuzz Face.. now it seems like he´s using a Schaller Fuzz, just like Bo-Anders Persson of Trad Gras & Stenar (one of Reine´s favourite groups)
I bought an old Echolette NG51 a few weeks ago, and I gotta say I'm in love with it. There´s some kind of magic going on there.
It really sounds like you´re standing in the middle of a fantasy forrest and playing.

Isn't this Reine playing with them in this vid?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDj6dbDidPM

Kjetil.
"Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, 'Listen, mate, life has surface noise' "

John Peel
Camembert Electrique
Squire

Postby harmonix4 on Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:15 pm

Here's a terrible pic I took of his pedals while in Austin, Tx 09/18/10 after he broke a string and walked off the stage, before hesitantly playing the encore set with the singer's Epiphone.

Reine Fiske blurry pedals by ricardo_pachecovega, on Flickr

When they came around in 2008 his fuzz face went out and not sure what he ended up using, but it was decent.
harmonix4
Peasant

Postby Krohurte on Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:59 pm

Just browsing this board, I was nicely surprised to find a mentioning about Reine. Don't think he's well known outside of Scandinavia? He did amazing work on a few recent Motorpsycho albums and tours.
Krohurte
Peasant

Return to Signature Tones