Big, Fat Necks: Anybody else out there love 'em?

Every brand has a home in this forum. If your like many guitarist and use guitars that are custom built or just production, your in the right place.

Big, Fat Necks: Anybody else out there love 'em?

Postby steveokla on Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:44 am

A few years back I was milling around in our local Guitar Center, chatting with a friend I know who's worked there quite a while. Anyway, in walks this guy with a Nocaster he’d but from my friend for a set up or some such. I don't think I'd ever seen one before, and he let me mess around with it awhile. When I first wrapped my hand around the thing, I thought I’d grabbed a firehose and wondered if it could actually be played. Twenty minutes later, and having blown it through two or three different amps on the floor, I heard that voice in the back of my head—you know the one. Well, ended up getting a real nice used one from I dealer friend in Atlanta and played the cr*p out of it for days on end. Somewhere along the way, I realized I wasn’t cramping up or getting fatigue: this was the most comfortable neck I’d ever played and I couldn’t put the thing down. I’d fiddle with other guitars with ‘regular’ necks, and would sometimes even think, nah, these are the ones; then I’d pick up the Nocaster again and instantly fall back in love with that baseball bat neck. Didn’t even seem to mind the 7 ½ radius and vintage frets (though I’ve since had it refretted with medium jumbos).

That led to my ordering a Music Zoo NoNeck strat, which I’ve had about a month now. When it first arrived and I lifted it out of the case, it struck me that this thing was chunkier still than the Nocaster. It’s the product, I believe, of the higher shoulders resulting from the 9 ½ radius. The neck is huge, so huge it concerned me at first—I mean the Nocaster neck seemed trim after this strat; but, after a day or two, voila! I can’t put it down.

Anyway, I was curious to find if many other folks out there on the Board have this reaction to these big, chunky necks??? Or maybe the opposite reaction??

Oh, by the way of a footnote specific to Nocasters: I’ve had the chance to play quite a few of these since getting mine, and what strikes me about them is the consistency in production. If you put me in a room full of them and told me to find mine, I’m not so sure I could do it. I wish CS strats were anywhere near that consistent.
steveokla
Baron

Re: Big, Fat Necks: Anybody else out there love 'em?

Postby Crisp on Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:10 pm

Fat necks are the only way!

Now please answer this: Why can't I find any ACOUSTICS with big ASS freaky necks? C'mon...seriously! Most people use acoustics as a rhythm instrument. More neck girth equals less hand fatigue when chording. Especially bar chords. Soo.....why all of these WIMPY acoustic necks?

I played ONE enormous neck. An old recording King. Almost unplayable. I loved it!

For note, my Esquire partscaster has a USACG "John Holmes" Neck. A 1" plus C shape.

But I must say this......I do not appreciate "U" shaped necks.

No sir.

"D"'s either for that matter

and the nut width must be 1 11/16"

Thank you to all!
-Crisp
Sorry for your problems. There will always be problems.
Crisp
Squire

Postby steveokla on Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:24 pm

I've never stumbled onto one, either. I settled for a Martin D28 that's the vintage reissue model--pretty hefty neck with a soft V.
steveokla
Baron

Postby jcs on Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:10 am

I have to agree, there are WAY too many skinny necks out there for the most part.
jcs
King

Postby chupy on Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:23 am

Edit... :lol:

I find fat necks to be more comfortable. My palm of my hand cramps up with a thin neck, too much resistance. And the top of my hand hurts. A fat neck gives me support. My favorite profile is USACG’s "Boat" neck contour. It's just a hair over an inch thick. But it does have a soft V feel to it. With a 7.25 radius with 22 frets with Dunlop 6000 frets. Kinda like a fat boat contour. Can play for hours with no cramping. 8)

I wish Gibson made fat necks for their SG's...

Played a J45 from the early 40's with a PORKER neck. I mean it was fat. Maybe a good 3 inches thick. Very comfortable and easy to play. 8)

Played a couple of old Gibson L00's from the 20's or 30's with big fat soft V necks. Those were my favorite, right up next to the USACG necks. 8)
Last edited by chupy on Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chupy

Postby Crisp on Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:59 pm

Than YOU guys for the heads up regarding the acoustics. That information is GOLD!@

:cheers:
Sorry for your problems. There will always be problems.
Crisp
Squire

Postby The Pup on Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:04 pm

I can play just about anything...but if I have a choice, fat necks are the best for me (I like them a little wide too).
The Pup
Prince

Postby LReese on Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:54 am

I get along with most necks, as long as they aren't a sharp V. I've got 2 No-Neck Strats that get the bulk of the play, but I have a Cunetto Era '60s relic with the slim neck that works well. I'm taking a real liking to my newest Suhr neck - 840-.920 C, 16" radius and Stainless steel frets (I wanted to order a similar NoNeck, but this one came available for a good price) - a happy medium to the extremes in my collection - though the fretboard radius is an extreme to itself.
LReese
Page

Postby Mayhawk on Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:14 pm

Amen! Fat necks! :D

I used to own a Turpin RS Classic (Brian May Red Special clone) and that neck was magic. About 48mm at the nut and 1" thick all the way down. (But the rest of the guitar was kinda :P so I sold it.) I currently own a Chris Maloney built Red Special and it's kinda nice but he slimmed the girth a bit. :POd:

I have a Nocaster reissue and the neck is simply too comfortable. Too easy to play. And the round '50's profile of my Gibson '57 Jr reissue and '54 oxblood reissue are just as nice, if not more so.

I have tried to get comfy with smaller necks.....ie the superslim superflat neck of my Jackson Soloist....I mean I want to shred as well. But after a while, these super slim necks just start to hurt my hands. And, a comfortable hand and fingers makes for more effortless playing. :wink:

Speaking of the Nonecks.....these things are calling my name, bigtime! :dude: But they are quite pricey, to say the least. I wish Fender would make a regular issue noneck strat and tele, sans relic'ing, which really ups the price.

I am really thinking of making my first guitar......a tele with a swamp ash body and 'fatneck' from Warmoth. I have an old MIM beater that I can scavange for all the bits and pieces (tuners, knobs, ferrules, etc.) MIght even spray my own finish as well....used to hang around Reranch some time ago....... :hmm:

BTW, I have fairly normal sized hands, ie half the guys I shake hands with have smaller hands and half have larger hands. What do guys with really big mitts think?
Mayhawk
User of the Murse

Postby Mayhawk on Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:19 pm

The neck is huge, so huge it concerned me at first—I mean the Nocaster neck seemed trim after this strat; but, after a day or two, voila! I can’t put it down.

Steve, you're killing me! Killing me!!! :strat:
Mayhawk
User of the Murse

Postby steveokla on Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:17 pm

Mayhawk wrote:
The neck is huge, so huge it concerned me at first—I mean the Nocaster neck seemed trim after this strat; but, after a day or two, voila! I can’t put it down.

You must find a way . . . .
steveokla
Baron

Postby chupy on Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:33 pm

Mayhawk wrote:BTW, I have fairly normal sized hands, ie half the guys I shake hands with have smaller hands and half have larger hands. What do guys with really big mitts think?

I have small fat chunky hands, with fat fingers. But find it easier to play a fat neck. Go figure... :lol:
chupy

Postby Mayhawk on Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:13 pm

steveokla wrote:
Mayhawk wrote:

You must find a way . . . .

Must resist.....must resist.....must resist NoNeck....must resist...... :ohno:

Hey, wait....there is also a strat NotRod!!!!! Must resist! Must resist!! Must resist!!! :Zap:
Mayhawk
User of the Murse

Postby MichaelE on Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:08 pm

The Turner has a fat neck. After playing an LP for years with mostly '60's type necks, the Turner feels like a baseball bat. Well, not that thick, but more like a '50's neck than anything. I thought I'd have trouble with it, but it's actually more comfortable as my hand doesn't cramp up as easily.

Just something new to get used to.
MichaelE
Page

Postby steveokla on Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:35 pm

Steve, you're killing me! Killing me!!! :strat:[/quote]
You must find a way . . . .[/quote]

Must resist.....must resist.....must resist NoNeck....must resist...... :ohno:

Hey, wait....there is also a strat NotRod!!!!! Must resist! Must resist!! Must resist!!! :Zap:[/quote]
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE--MUST not RESIST, MUST not RESIST, . . . .
steveokla
Baron

Next

Return to Modern Guitars