What Kind of Gibson Bass is This?

Safe haven for everything low-frequency. Bass players unite in this forum.

What Kind of Gibson Bass is This?

Postby CP 103 on Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:03 am

It looks be from the period '73-'79 when Gibson was making all-maple basses like the Ripper and the Grabber but with a Thunderbird style body.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr_XVAuT ... feature=iv

Nice to see U2 back to playing rock. They turned into an easy listening band for a while.
CP 103
Knight

Re: What Kind of Gibson Bass is This?

Postby joe_jr on Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:23 am

joe_jr
Page

Postby brycebites on Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:45 pm

It is indeed an RD Artist. I had a February '81 model for a while. Unfortunately the pickups and Moog preamp had been ripped out at some point and replaced with a P/J arrangement. With the cheap pickups replaced it had a killer tone. Absolutely incredible. The perfect mix between my jazz and thunderbird.
Being as old as I am it had been played in well with a beautifully smooth neck through all the hand work, and sustain that of which I haven't found again.

The reason I sold it? It was so damn heavy! I'm sure there was some dark matter mixed in with all that wood! :lol:
http://www.hushtheband.com - UK Classic Rock Covers
brycebites
Certified

Postby dronevil on Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:40 pm

The RD was originally intended to be John Entwistle's signature bass but he didn't like it and walked away from the deal. Regardless of what the Ox thought a sunburst RD has been one of my holy grails for years now. I've never had the opportunity to play one but they sound amazing.
dronevil
Peasant

Postby Gooch on Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:38 pm

Dying ain't much of a living.
Gooch
Baron

Postby dronevil on Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:27 am

Gooch wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140352414940&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

A bit overpriced but it's nice.

Wow she's a beauty! Exactly what I want....but the price is a bit too steep for me. :(
dronevil
Peasant

Postby selloutrr on Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:40 am

Gibson made several verison of the bass The Gibson RD bass, is passive. The AR Artist is the active Moog version. Both had a 36" scale neck thru, and string thru body. The Artist's Moog active electronics I believe were made by or partly created by Dennis Kager of Sundown and Ampeg "f" bass fame. Giving Active tone controls and built in compression. A tonal pallet of fender to rickenbacker. The bass was produced from late '78 to early '81. It never caught on do the fact it's a HUGE BASS to play!!! 36" scale stretches all the frets out. The neck is rather thick, and It's HEAVY!!! The bass got a cult following after it was used by Chris Novoselic of Nirvana, Best seen in the "Heart Shaped Box" video and several other bands of the 90's. the Super suckers come to mind. the bassist used a natural colored RD in the "who sucked out the feeling" video.

Gibson also made guitars by the same model names. The weight of this instruments was the real deal breaker they sound great, but they are heavy!!!

I've been playing a late 80's tobaco RD Artist for the last 10 years it weighs as much as my les paul standard and Stingray Musicman combined!

http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/RDartist.php
selloutrr
Certified

Postby Psycho Bass Guy on Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:55 pm

selloutrr wrote: the Super suckers come to mind. the bassist used a natural colored RD in the "who sucked out the feeling" video.

That song is Superdrag not the Supersuckers. Eddie Spaghetti of the Supersuckers is famous for playing a black 90's Les Paul standard bass.
Psycho Bass Guy
Court Jester

Postby selloutrr on Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:57 am

my bad... but the bassist used an RD in the video
selloutrr
Certified

Return to Bass Talk