What software and interfaces is everybody using?

Recording systems, Software, Microphones, plugins, computers that work, the best ways to capture the sound. A good place to start figuring out that sound is here.

What software and interfaces is everybody using?

Postby geoff_bell on Mon May 25, 2009 1:23 pm

I have an M-Audio Fast Track USB and use it with ProTools 7 M-Powered. VST plug-ins are used with a wrapper.

Only done a few bits and bobs, but results seem okay. I have experience from the 4-track cassette days, and am recording along those lines, so better use of the software will come eventually.
geoff_bell
Knight

Re: What software and interfaces is everybody using?

Postby onedrum on Wed May 27, 2009 7:56 pm

I just bought an old school mac G4 and pro-tools. It's honestly ancient but working, and fun so far. 450mhz, 256 ram, osx 10.2, and protools 6.1. I wanna find some more ram for it. The interface is digi 001. By the way, if anyone has some old sdram they wanna dump, lemme know ;-) Also, does anyone know how i can steal plugins for this?
http://www.myspace.com/theafterbeat Bastardized '87 CSA 4212, 2000 Garnet Mohawk, '60's Kiel modded by the late great Gar Gillies
onedrum
Page

Postby Painterman on Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:10 am

1 mac mini g4 @ 1.42ghz w/ 512mb RAM and I believe a 60gb external drive for storage. I use a pair of KRK5 powered monitors for playback. I use a Presonus Firebox and CuBase LE - which came w/ the firebox. Sure SM57 and SM58s mics. Originally I tried to get it up and running on a PC w/ an AMD X2 4200 (dual core) cpu and 2gb RAM running XP - but it was a nightmare so I bought a used mini on ebay.

I only record my demos on this thing. The Studio I do session work at has a G5 Mac pro tower running digital performer.
Sir Bobby Painterman - Knight of the Plexi Palace. (It only took me 8.5 years...)
Painterman
Knight

Postby Easto on Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:28 pm

Cubase SX 1 (This version has everything I need and no reason to upgrade) on a PC 3.0ghz Core 2 Duo with 2 gig of ram. I input everything into a Mackie 1604VLZ (analog) and then into a Echo Audio Gina 24/96.
Easto
Certified

Postby onedrum on Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:04 pm

i learned quite quickly that i need a computer with more balls. buying a used G5 this weekend!!
http://www.myspace.com/theafterbeat Bastardized '87 CSA 4212, 2000 Garnet Mohawk, '60's Kiel modded by the late great Gar Gillies
onedrum
Page

Postby wolfhead on Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:58 am

Pro Tools LE Digirack 002. Have used it for around 4 years and love it.
wolfhead
Squire

Postby BIG Dave on Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:08 am

MBox2 with Pro Tools 7.4. Running Vista on an Intel Q6600 Quad Core machine with 4 GB RAM. The one thing that was tripping me up was IE8 was causing Pro Tools 7.4 to crash. I rolled back to IE7 and now she's running fine!
BIG Dave
Knight

Postby Met_K on Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:44 pm

I use an Alesis io26 - bit quirky, but once you get it up and running they sound fantastic. I use nuendo 3.2 for most everything, supplementing that with SONAR or one of the free programs like REAPER if it doesn't do what I need.

I find that on my old Dell laptop - 2.4ghz, 1gb ram - I've got pretty low latency, so it works well. It's better than what they had in '65, anyway. 8)
Closed for Inventory
Met_K
Knight

Postby sean on Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:46 pm

Running Logic Pro, on a Mac G5 Tower, RME as the audio interface. Great sounding converters on the RME setup. Using mostly Wave plug-ins.
sean
Certified

Postby onedrum on Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:59 pm

So I sold the G4 and Digi 001 and bought a G5 with dual 2.7GHz, 5.5 gigs of ram, 3 hard drives, pro tools m-powered and a profire 2626 interface. It's an unstoppable force and I'm happier than I ever imagined. I'm doing some quick demoing right now so as soon as I'm done I'll post some music...
onedrum
Page

Postby plexi on Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:19 pm

Logic Pro 8 Studio, Apogee Mini-Me preamp, Cascade Fathead II Ribbon mic with Lundahl transformer upgrade and Heil PR30. Running on an iMac.
plexi
Site Admin

Postby sultan_of_sound on Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:45 pm

This is a great topic.... There is so much junk out there that doesn't work, and this stuff is still in it's infancy (for consumers with limited budgets).

I was using (or trying to use)a decent PC w/Vista / Acid Studio / Behringer USB module..... Latency problems coming and going. Threw in the towel on that and just bought a used MacBook (2.16GHz/120G HD/2G memory)..... Just garageband for now... but....

Now I need to figure out the right USB or FireWire interface to buy.... and I think I am going to go with ProTools 8.0 (not Logic Pro)... since that is what real studios (and schools) use.....

What does everyone else think?!?!?!!? Know?!?!?!?!!? Experience?!?!?!?!?!?
Yeah, I'm a Packrat!!! (Who's laughing now?!?)
sultan_of_sound
Certified

Postby Met_K on Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:36 pm

There is very little functional difference between any of the programs. Interface wise it comes down to what you can afford and what is the best hardware for the money. ProTools is what a large number (but not a majority) of studios and schools use simply because it was the first to the game and the most well promoted. I believe that Steinberg's Nuendo is a better piece of software but it, again, comes down more to what you want out of things and what you can afford. REAPER is a killer piece of free software - low latency, great sounding audio engine, DX and VST effects as well as it own proprietary format, works on any operating system, written by a guy who made his name writing audio software for computers. Adobe's Audition has some incredibly cool features - such as being able to manipulate a waveform via 3D spectral analyzer - and is based on one of the oldest independent pieces of audio software written. SONAR is very intuitive, has a great UI and is very stable, but I find that out of habit I tend to use Nuendo more. Logic, like every piece of Apple written software, is beautiful, functional and incredibly efficient - though extremely proprietary. ProTools is a great piece of software, but it requires expensive hardware, suffers from an incredibly proprietary mindset and doesn't do a single thing better than anyone else. You could find arguments either way about their mic pres - better, worse or "same as" everyone else's, depending.

If you go ProTools then you don't have to decide what interface to buy - you just have to figure out what you can afford. As for non-Digi interfaces, today I would say go Firewire _always_ because it has lower latency and more throughput but is prone more to errors than USB. In a couple years? Maybe USB 3, since it'll be faster than Firewire, have more throughput and will be more stable. As far as determining what software is right, go into any Guitar Center or music shop that has a media PC/Mac and spend a few hours playing with all of 'em. You'll just be hitting the tip of the ice berg but you'll get a good enough feel for how things are, I suppose. Always remember, though, that whatever computer you use as your music machine should be reserved for _just that_ - start putting extraneous stuff on it (games, non music applications, etc) and it'll slow down and you'll get latency issues and drop-outs!

Good luck! I'm sure you'll be happy no matter what route you go! :D
Closed for Inventory
Met_K
Knight

Postby sultan_of_sound on Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:10 pm

Thanks for all the input. The one thing you didn't mention is the availability of plugins for some of the other software options (I know there are tons available for ProTools and LogicPro). Any thoughts?

My biggest concern is getting a system together that DOESN'T have latency issues.... the bane of my existence up until now. Interface: USB vs FireWire?? Hardware: M-Box / M-Audio / Alesis/ Mackie? Does ProTools ONLY work with M-Box??
Yeah, I'm a Packrat!!! (Who's laughing now?!?)
sultan_of_sound
Certified

Postby plexi on Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:12 am

I found the Logic Pro 8 Studio on Ebay brand New for $275. That's pretty good and if your to broke for that, that Reaper is the best free ware out there. I used the Logic with the stuff in the photos and made this sound clip a couple o days ago.

Recent Dirty Boy Amp Sound Demo

Considering I'm using an iMac with 3 Gigs and the Mic Preamp is an Apogee Mini-Me with a 400Mps Fire Wire output, that's a simple rig for what I'm able to get. The software is great if you learn it. The Iso Cab box is borrowed but I've made a clone of it with better foam for improved Low end deadening. The total rig including the Box minus the computer itself ran me $2200. That breaks down as follows:
Apogee Mini Me with Fire Wire Card upgrade $900 shipped.
Logic pro 8 Studio $275 plus $13 for shipping.
Cascade Fathead II with Lundahl transformer upgrade $320 shipped
Heil PR30 with Shock Mount $284 plus $10 shipping.
Isolation Box for cabinet (Knock off clone of the one with upgraded foam) $400
Total $2202
I did just add one item tot he list at $329 shipped. I bought an M-Audio Axiom Pro 25 keyboard interface (USB) so i could play the built in software instruments which are vast in numbers and variety as well they are superb sounding. That brings the whole thing up to $2531. I have a complete recording studio for $2531. Not bad considering what I got in product quality and what it does.

That sound clip I recorded, Did it in the middle of the night, early morning and had the amp cranked up probably 120db. Not a problem, It only radiates 94 db which is conversation volume and is nothing.

Almost forgot to mention, The upgraded Sonex Foam I purchased to build my Box completely killed the Boomy low end which is the hardest part of controlling high SPL. Bass is the strongest and needs really good deadening foam. Sonex makes it. So does Whisper Matt. That egg crate foam is not even close but works decent and the heavy wood is what does a big job. Cost differences was about 50% more for the Sonex Foam.
plexi
Site Admin

Next

Return to Recording Gear, Mics, Software and Techniques