Bavarian Re-finish

Lets hear it from the pros, all things guitar by the hands of the trade. Great tips and if you like to build your own guitars, this is a place to find trade tips.

Bavarian Re-finish

Postby MichaelE on Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:01 am

This is a cheap Dean Vendetta I picked up from Ed Roman about five years ago. It plays surprizingly well and doesn't sound half bad for what it is.

I needed a project but money's tight so I decided to refinish this one. I rarely play it and it sits in the corner with the acoustics.

I used the state flag of Bavaria as the pattern. I still have distant relatives living there and I like the pattern so what the heck.

The hardware will be gold. No, I couldn't get the string ferrules out of the body without risking damage so I left them alone.

Here after layout and masking for four hours:

45 minutes after that:

And here with the first four coats of lacquer before lightly sanding and adding another four coats:

MichaelE
Page

Re: Bavarian Re-finish

Postby Vertec on Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:06 am

very neat job there :)

from those angles looks nearly 100% faultless :thumbsup:
Vertec
Page

Postby MichaelE on Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:00 am

Thanks.

The only fault in the finish so far is because I sat the damn thing on a large styrofoam block and the lacquer started attaching it self to the block. Thank God it wasn't the finish coat of clear. I can sand that out before shooting the remaining coats.

It's now sitting on a piece of 2x6 lumber scrap.
MichaelE
Page

Postby Vertec on Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:14 am

good thing you cort it early, another way to hold it while spraying is to use a wood batern the same size fit as the neck join and nail that to a board, and screw it into the body like a neck
Vertec
Page

Postby MichaelE on Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:33 am

Yeah, the other builders and refinishers at a site I frequent use this method and hang it up to shoot it. I did that with the color coat, but I had problems seeing how the clearcoat was spraying and laying with it hanging because of the lighting angle in the shop so I laid it on it's back on the styrofoam block after two days of curing on the back side.

Wrong thing to do! I guess most guitar stands will attack this finish as well when I get done with it so I'll be using the cotton t-shirt trick.

I thought only nitro was only susceptable to this, but apparently acrylic lacquer has enemies too.

Shot clearcoat on the neck this morning before work:

MichaelE
Page

Postby MichaelE on Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:11 pm

I finished it up with 2000 yesterday followed by Kit Scratch-Out, Meguire's Crystal Polish, and finally a coat of wax. I'm ordering the gold hardware Friday and hope to have it playing sometime in the next two weeks or so.

There are some flaws in the finish on the back but you have to look close to find them. I'm satisfied for my first attempt, and the next time I'll know what not to do.

MichaelE
Page

Postby MichaelE on Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:14 pm

Hardware arrived yesterday and immediately went about rewiring and installing the electronics and other bits and pieces. I nearly didn't get that Switchcraft toggle in there and had to forego the gold washer to get enough thread.

Tuners are Wilkinson, bridge is some no-name from GF, pickups are Epiphone, pots are Alpha.

I just put the strings on it and snapped these before it got too dark. I set-up the bridge height, but I still need to intonate and adjust the PU height.

This has been a real learning experience and I'm mighty pleased with the way it turned out. Much better than I expected for a first timer.

Now I have to get out my Oktoberfest music and practice up for the party in late September!

The little black or brown spots are bugs that jumped out of the grass as I moved the guitar around for different lighting.

MichaelE
Page

Postby PeterS on Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:41 pm

Amazing. Did you do anything to seal the edges of the masking tape?
PeterS
King

Postby MichaelE on Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:06 am

No. That wasn't neccesary. I used 3M automotive fine line masking tape. It's very high-tack and leaves a clean edge.
MichaelE
Page

Return to The Guitar Builder Corner