How do I make a pickup winder?

Lets hear it from the pros, all things guitar by the hands of the trade. Great tips and if you like to build your own guitars, this is a place to find trade tips.

How do I make a pickup winder?

Postby chupy on Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:38 am

I already mod pickups from swapen magnets to mismatchin coils and what not, so I figure it's time to learn how to wind em. I need pics of how to make a winder. Pictures work better then words.

Well I look around the house and found a few sewing machines. I think im going to try something this weekend.
chupy

Re: How do I make a pickup winder?

Postby gigant0r on Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:36 am

gigant0r
Baron

Postby chupy on Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:57 am

Thank you
chupy

Postby Sterling # Sound on Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:56 pm

Chupy any luck yet in creating this machine... let alone winding pickups ?
Sterling # Sound
Knight

Postby PeterS on Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:49 am

I wound one once using a record player and feeding the wire by hand. It took a long time and the result was so-so.
PeterS
King

Postby chupy on Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:42 am

Sterling # Sound wrote:Chupy any luck yet in creating this machine... let alone winding pickups ?

Wound a few, but nothing good. I'll have to try it again when I have time. It's frustrating. You sit there while guiding the wire. Nerve wreaking as heII. :lol:
chupy

Postby Mayhawk on Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:10 am

chupy wrote:
Sterling # Sound wrote:Chupy any luck yet in creating this machine... let alone winding pickups ?

Wound a few, but nothing good. I'll have to try it again when I have time. It's frustrating. You sit there while guiding the wire. Nerve wreaking as heII. :lol:

I guess that's why Fender hired lots of women to wind pickups.........and why women make baseballs. :mrgreen:

From reading as many interviews as possible (Lollar, Fralin....), I surmise that winding is no fun, but a necessary evil. And practice, and practice, and more practice, makes perfect.
Mayhawk
User of the Murse

Postby chupy on Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:55 am

Mayhawk wrote:
chupy wrote:

I guess that's why Fender hired lots of women to wind pickups.........and why women make baseballs. :mrgreen:

From reading as many interviews as possible (Lollar, Fralin....), I surmise that winding is no fun, but a necessary evil. And practice, and practice, and more practice, makes perfect.

I'll work on guitars, paint guitars, re-frets, setups, modify pickups, but I realized I don't have the nitch to wind pickups. I just don't have that kind of patience. :lol:
chupy

Postby pckpat on Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:37 pm

this guy's shop is about an hour from me-stew-mac sells his machines and his mando p/ups.(nice rig but$$$)http://www.schattendesign.com/winder.htm
"Who does not work,is heavy to the earth" (Albanian proverb)
"Vision without action,is a dream-Action without vision is a nightmare"-(Japanese saying)
pckpat
Emperor

Postby chupy on Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:48 pm

pckpat wrote:this guy's shop is about an hour from me-stew-mac sells his machines and his mando p/ups.(nice rig but$$$)http://www.schattendesign.com/winder.htm

Ya, seen that before. Stew Mac sells it for $15 more.
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Speci ... =3&xsr=488

I don't know, maybe when I have some money put away i'll get a proper winder.
chupy

Postby Sterling # Sound on Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:59 pm

chupy wrote:
pckpat wrote:this guy's shop is about an hour from me-stew-mac sells his machines and his mando p/ups.(nice rig but$$$)http://www.schattendesign.com/winder.htm

Ya, seen that before. Stew Mac sells it for $15 more.
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Speci ... =3&xsr=488

I don't know, maybe when I have some money put away i'll get a proper winder.

Chupy I think what you need is time and patience to be a good pickup winder!

Imagine having this view and winding the most amazing single coil imaginable! :cheers:
Sterling # Sound
Knight

Postby moritz on Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:28 pm

moritz
Squire

Postby Satchmoeddie on Sat May 11, 2013 6:48 pm

If you do not mind hand feeding the wire (hand winding) an old sewing machine motor works well. I used a motor from an old 1960s Singer that came with the foot speed control. The pulley mounted on the motor was original and so was the old lamp that went on the machine. I bought some wood and mounted the motor to the wood which was set up in a U shape with two verticals on a base plate. The motor mounted low with a shaft extending through two 1/4" plastic bearing pillow blocks higher up. You could always just buy a couple of bearings and set them in a recess in the wood. Then I got a 24 volt DC magnetic impulse counter from a surplus electronics shop, and a DC wall wart. I mounted two pieces of wood on the each end of the shaft and a set screw pulley that mated up with the one on the motor, and two stop collars so the shaft would not wander too much. Below the whole mess I mounted another 1/4" shaft with 4 adjustable stop collars to guide the wire across. You can look at the model Stewmac sells and see the basic set up. The sewing machine's speed control pedal makes for getting the winding started and then up to speed. The Stewmac winder was actually much worse than my home made model. I had to do just as much work on the Stewmac Schatten winder to make it work as well as my home made one. I eventually went to the Remington Industries winder which costs about $7000. I still had to make the part you screw the bobbins to, but it winds forwards, & backwards, and will lay the wire in however you program it to. I also use it to do Speaker voice coils so I could justify the 5000 pound $7000 investment. The Schatten Stewmac winder is terrible. It is a steaming pile of dung that is now a door stop. It has it's 3rd burned out motor in it now. Schatten keeps promising they are working on solving the problem yet keeps sending the same Asian made junk motors out as replacements. The sewing machine winder still works great for hand winding. You want a bobbin mount on either side for reverse winding. I put a small magnet on one end of the bobbin mount for the counter readout sensor which runs on the 24VDC. The belt is an old O ring from a 1o" drainage pipe or something I found at a surplus shop. I made sure to buy 8 or 10 of them, as being surplus and cheap I may never find anymore of them. If you can program stepper motors you can make a self feeding automatic pick up winder with a stepping motor to guide the wire on. There are several methods of converting rotational to linear movement. One is an like the old steam locomotive driver in an offset hole. Another is an eccentric shaft (same concept) another is a lead screw (my preferred method) and third is an eliptical cam which works well too. The counter counts the windings It does not reset so you have to write down where you started and do some simple math. I think Google Images & youtube will have good pictures and videos to work from. I am redoing mine using plexiglass instead of wood. The wood swells and contracts too much and is getting kind of loose after 30 years. The Schatten Winder was an terrible experience. I'd buy one of the home made one's off eBay before I'd try another Schatten winder. They might be okay for a guy who winds 4 pick ups in his whole lifetime, but trying to run of more than 6 humbuckers in one day will surely kill it within a month, if not a week. Les may have finally solved the problem with the motors, but the amount of fiddling around with the bobbin mounts was enough to sour me from recommending one. I could have built another 3 or 4 from scratch in the time wasted on that thing. $500? The motor lamp & foot speed control was $15 for mine, shaft stock was maybe $8, the counter $25 with power 24VDC supply & magnet, bearings, stops, screws, misc hardware, $30-$40 & $10 for 10 belts. The rest was just wood & work. The whole thing was well under $120, and I have tonnes of spares for it.
Satchmoeddie
Peasant

Return to The Guitar Builder Corner