other than VOLUME

Dealing with Volume and tone solutions. Keeping a lid on the volume but still getting the tone and sound that is desirable. Many methods to make it real.

other than VOLUME

Postby Sean Camp on Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:03 am

Many clubs I play these days are less than 150 person capacity so of course volume can be a problem.But lets talk about tiny clubs(less then 50). Simply turning the volume down sounds easy enough but then tone and clarity can suffer. I'm not just talking about the guitar but the whole mix. At these reduced volumes sometimes the opposite ofwhat seems to be logic can be very effective. May I suggest turning way down (even if it is over attenuated and dull) and mic'ing up and let the soundman (with his small PA)can do the same thing he does in the big rooms. This way he can compensate for each members EQ as well as volume. He can also apply Fletcher and Munson compensation EQ as well as some creative compressing and limiting individually and overall (NOTE:sometimes Ducking in the monitors can be effective here).A large quantity of good ol' black drape around the back and sides of the
stage works wonders and brings a shroud of professionalism to the act.The trick is to not try to make your guitar or the entire mix for that matter sound the same only quieter,but to find a different but effective new sound that will get you booked back on a night when the house will be packed and you could turn up just enough to get some inspiration. Remember this hypothetical gig I write of could be your next audition, so keep in mind that just because your amp sounds better opened up, most people are listening to the vocalist and drums anyway and will notice you greatly and in a negative way if you are to loud and the soundman cannot even get you into the house mix.
Love Ya, Buh-By.
Sean Camp
Page

Re: other than VOLUME

Postby parkhead on Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:23 am

Don't forget lower wattage alternative amps.
As much as I love my Marshall's a small combo driving a 4-12 can get you a lower volume big guitar sound.
parkhead
Baron

Location: Rock & Roll isn't dead its just moved North of the Border

Re: other than VOLUME

Postby Sean Camp on Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:49 pm

I'll have to agree with you parkhead. Did a gig last month in a tiny room. The PA ended up being 150 watt each mains and monitors. Three vocal mic's and a little kik(drummer has a very light foot). For guitar I used a Melody Maker into an old REVERE tape recorder that puts out less than 7 class A watts per speaker through my Bassman 2-12. In that room it was more than very healthy. Better than SOAKING my Bassman.
Love Ya, Buh-By.
Sean Camp
Page

Return to Sound Control