AMPS

The gear that's hot and gear that's not. Live sound can make or break your gig. Microphone placement,Mixing Boards, Power amps and speakers.

AMPS

Postby 64vox on Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:40 am

I have a bunch of old amps all perfect lwoking order that stiil hold ther own against many modern amps, maybe it's the large old ttransformers they sure are heavy...
Crown psa2's... love the sound of these kills my new crowns in warmth and kick as bass.
Flame linear i mean phase linear 700. I have two of these old monsters the sound of 70's live rock. one must have toured for over 15 years and never blew up even . The other is a tme warp out of a hifi set up this old amp sound like it has 10000 watts well at leat with my vintage horn load bass bins...
Phase linear 400 always like theses on mid horns.....
64vox
Certified

Re: AMPS

Postby onedrum on Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:42 am

i've heard good things about those old crowns. i know from experience the macrotechs are awesome. one of the clubs i work in had a few of the amcron crown amps and they finally crapped out almost at the same time and they were in there for nearly 20 years. it would be more to repair them than replace them these days so we had to retire them. the new crown I-tech amps are nutty. i'm anxious to see how long they'll last. a 26 pound/single rack space amp that's capable of 8000 watts program doesn't seem right to me!! being in canada, a lot of the rooms have yorkville amps and even though most "pros" gripe about them cuz of the name, noone can dispute their reliability. in wpg the two loudest/rowdiest bars have used them for 10-15 years and you can literally have them choking to death at full power for a whole evening and they won't go thermal and NEVER break. it's kinda strange. bright red signal meters all night isn't unusual for these poor things haha! only thing i've ever seen go on them are the power switches. keep em clean and they're just indestructible.

a few weeks ago i worked a room that had horn style subs and to be honest, i expected it to sound bad but i actually didn't mind them. i'm not from that era so they just seemed silly but yeah, not bad at all. they almost seem directional to me though. coulda been the room acoustics
http://www.myspace.com/theafterbeat Bastardized '87 CSA 4212, 2000 Garnet Mohawk, '60's Kiel modded by the late great Gar Gillies
onedrum
Page

Postby lexicondevil on Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:06 am

Another cool old amp is a Crest 3500. Dual Mono setup with Massive Iron loaded in the front, transverse mounted Transistor/Heatsink rails and a set of massive electrolytic cans bringing up the rear. The first one of these I owned, I pulled the thing apart and was really impressed with their Tour Built quality that is non existant on their cheaper lines.
lexicondevil
Squire

Postby Roy Boltz on Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:53 pm

onedrum wrote:i've heard good things about those old crowns. i know from experience the macrotechs are awesome. one of the clubs i work in had a few of the amcron crown amps and they finally crapped out almost at the same time and they were in there for nearly 20 years. it would be more to repair them than replace them these days so we had to retire them. the new crown I-tech amps are nutty. i'm anxious to see how long they'll last. a 26 pound/single rack space amp that's capable of 8000 watts program doesn't seem right to me!! being in canada, a lot of the rooms have yorkville amps and even though most "pros" gripe about them cuz of the name, noone can dispute their reliability. in wpg the two loudest/rowdiest bars have used them for 10-15 years and you can literally have them choking to death at full power for a whole evening and they won't go thermal and NEVER break. it's kinda strange. bright red signal meters all night isn't unusual for these poor things haha! only thing i've ever seen go on them are the power switches. keep em clean and they're just indestructible.

a few weeks ago i worked a room that had horn style subs and to be honest, i expected it to sound bad but i actually didn't mind them. i'm not from that era so they just seemed silly but yeah, not bad at all. they almost seem directional to me though. coulda been the room acoustics

Yorkville is some of the best stuff out there for the price mind you, the Elite line isn't cheap by any stretch, but is very good quality, the Yorkville Elite speakers sound marvelous. :wink:
Roy Boltz
King

Postby onedrum on Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:45 am

the three rooms i work most often (pyramid, zoo, albert) all have elite systems. well, the zoo has tx series but they're pretty close... same components, just better cabinet construction. you gotta really scoop 400-500hz and 2.5k-3.0khz on the graph with em but yeah, they can sound really great, and are VERY durable. they've got tons of headroom for those unmanageable untalented bands out there who don't know a thing about mic proximity!! the very few times i've seen guys destroy them, i'm certain they were trying their hardest. :lol:
http://www.myspace.com/theafterbeat Bastardized '87 CSA 4212, 2000 Garnet Mohawk, '60's Kiel modded by the late great Gar Gillies
onedrum
Page

Postby Roy Boltz on Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:37 pm

Ha! I was at a church converted from an old theater on Miaiou probably know of it, anyhow I was there with a friend who was in charge of purchasing a new PA system for the main worship area.
& this contractor came in with these top of the line JBL array of 4 X two way speakers with one 15" woofer per speaker & 4 speakers per side.
At the time, they had Elites they were renting from L&M which were 2 X two way speakers with 2 15" woofers per speaker & 2 speakers per side.
They were set up by this guy to compare the mains speaker on performance so he rigged up a switching device to switch mains.
The Elites hands down sounded much more pleasant, warm.
This contractor was in fact the JBL distributor here in Wpg. at the time & he himself admitted liking the sound of the Elites better. :wink:
Roy Boltz
King

Postby onedrum on Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:54 am

was it audioworks? a fella named jimmy? there's a jbl mini line array called veretec, or vrx that he's got, but only the tops. i've used em before and absolutely loved em, but i've never heard the subs that were supposed to go with em. maybe that's what killed the sound. i know which elites your talkin about. those are the same ones in the pyramid. they're fairly big, and can only be wired two way which is strange considering they're technically a three way box. there are two 15" drivers, a horn style mid, and a "super tweeter". i had an old bss crossover quit at the pyramid and it took out two of those tweeters(they have two of those speakers per side at the pyramid). regardless, yeah they do sound pretty good. they stopped making that model a long time ago. likely due to the size!
onedrum
Page

Postby Roy Boltz on Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:03 pm

onedrum wrote:was it audioworks? a fella named jimmy? there's a jbl mini line array called veretec, or vrx that he's got, but only the tops. i've used em before and absolutely loved em, but i've never heard the subs that were supposed to go with em. maybe that's what killed the sound. i know which elites your talkin about. those are the same ones in the pyramid. they're fairly big, and can only be wired two way which is strange considering they're technically a three way box. there are two 15" drivers, a horn style mid, and a "super tweeter". i had an old bss crossover quit at the pyramid and it took out two of those tweeters(they have two of those speakers per side at the pyramid). regardless, yeah they do sound pretty good. they stopped making that model a long time ago. likely due to the size!

I can't remember the guys name but I do know that he was well known in the church circles.
Those QSC powered speakers look cool eh? I saw that other thread.
Roy Boltz
King

Postby Sean Camp on Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:12 am

Im gonna have to agree with the statement about the Yorkville amps they have a classic punch that the new billion watters with better specs dont seem to have. But they do need to be run a little hard to feel right.
Love Ya, Buh-By.
Sean Camp
Page

Postby Roy Boltz on Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:01 am

Yeah, lots of balls like the old crown & crest amps.
Roy Boltz
King

Postby Roy33 on Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:28 am

onedrum wrote:the three rooms i work most often (pyramid, zoo, albert) all have elite systems. well, the zoo has tx series but they're pretty close... same components, just better cabinet construction. you gotta really scoop 400-500hz and 2.5k-3.0khz on the graph with em but yeah, they can sound really great, and are VERY durable. they've got tons of headroom for those unmanageable untalented bands out there who don't know a thing about mic proximity!! the very few times i've seen guys destroy them, i'm certain they were trying their hardest. :lol:

haha, I played the Zoo in the mid 90's, still goin huh. also played the Alternative Cabaret up the street across the bridge.
Roy33
Knight

Postby Vertec on Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:20 am

onedrum wrote:was it audioworks? a fella named jimmy? there's a jbl mini line array called veretec, or vrx that he's got

mabie Vertec??? :mrgreen:

i've used the Vertec range when i did arena events they are good and alot cheaper than the l'acoustics we used, but the l'acoustics are the beez neez of line arays been around for ages longer than all the new stuff and they have there new kudos system about 4yrs old now it is great for doing huge gigs, you can cut out speaker cross over points in the crowd by "wings" inside the front grill to aim the direction cost an arm and a leg to get em, but when the company i was working for had 2 D5 mixing desks and 1/2a mill worth of l'acoustics gear at the venues it was fun :thumbsup:
Vertec
Page

Postby beaulieu on Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:20 am

We used a Crown Macrotech 24x6 (1 ch of a 2400 and 1 ch of a 600,dual power supplies) And a power tech 2 with JBL E155's single 18" scoops.Each one as big as a refergerator. 2 perkins mids with 15"JBL E140's and 2 1"JBL horns. Man this system killed.Chest pounding low end and VERY clean highend. We had an old mk4 pEAVEY board,15 eq crossover and 1 compressor.Friends of mine had real big Peavy systems with a bunch of CS 800's and 1200's and there was a huge difference!!They said they couldnt afford the Crown amps but they had a boatload of PV's?? I don't get it.We had 2 amps running 3 way.(24x6) ran 24 side for 2 scoops and the 600 side the horns.Then the power tech 2 L ch 1 mid rght ch for the other mid. Another note I have seen Jackyl use Macrotech 2400's on those older EV ML4(i think) 4 18's per box all speakers facing each other! 1 2400 per each box. Man that stuff was loud but tolerable because it was so clean!! I have heard bands not very loud but they needed to turn down cause it sounded so loud,distorted and bad.Take some awesome speakers and some Macrotechs and you can turn it 10X louder but it still sounds good cause its CLEAN POWER!! I hear so many people saying it dosent matter what amp you use but I ask then to just a/b and you will hear/fell the Difference. I don't care whos playing if it sounds bad(PA) then it just sucks!
Mark
69 "Real"Plexi 1992
73 1987
68 1987/86 build NOS parts
12000 series build NOS parts
2554 (Black)Jubilee
7 4x12 cabs left LOL
71LesPaul deluxe
2 Charvels
2 GSXR 1000's
2 PitBUlls (pets)
MXR pedals
NOS Amp parts(Marshall)
beaulieu
Squire

Postby parkhead on Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:08 am

onedrum wrote:was it audioworks? a fella named jimmy? there's a jbl mini line array called veretec, or vrx that he's got, but only the tops. i've used em before and absolutely loved em, but i've never heard the subs that were supposed to go with em. maybe that's what killed the sound. i know which elites your talkin about. those are the same ones in the pyramid. they're fairly big, and can only be wired two way which is strange considering they're technically a three way box. there are two 15" drivers, a horn style mid, and a "super tweeter". i had an old bss crossover quit at the pyramid and it took out two of those tweeters(they have two of those speakers per side at the pyramid). regardless, yeah they do sound pretty good. they stopped making that model a long time ago. likely due to the size!

the super tweeters are piezo's and need no crossover
great boxes

p
parkhead
Baron

Location: Rock & Roll isn't dead its just moved North of the Border

Return to Live Sound Reinforcement