Choosing Whirlwind D.I.,,,??

The gear that's hot and gear that's not. Live sound can make or break your gig. Microphone placement,Mixing Boards, Power amps and speakers.

Choosing Whirlwind D.I.,,,??

Postby zozoe on Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:49 pm

Why Whirlwind? Because my company sells them & I get a great deal on them, but thequestion is, I already have an inexpensive IMP 2 from them, passive design boasting 20-20k resp., and I was considering their DIRECT2 model to facilitate my very high end Breedlove Custom 12 string,,in stereo. But as I look, I see their HOTBOX active model (single I/O), uses 2-9V batteries & a freq. resp of 20-150K, Or even their DIRECT-JT, top of the line passive design.

Primarily this would be used for live use, since mic'ing seems to be a major imposition to most soundpeople, (which I also do when not playing), and maybe for some recording when mic'ing is not an option. WHAT TO DO? If that HOTBOX is really that, I'd go for it & not worry about my stereo obsession (unless I spring for two!!??!!) Passvie vs. Active,, better freq. resp. bull or not?

Thanks to all for the guidance, Kenny
zozoe
Peasant

Re: Choosing Whirlwind D.I.,,,??

Postby onedrum on Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:05 pm

i've got an old whirlwind passive d.i. with a hammond transformer in it haha!
http://www.myspace.com/theafterbeat Bastardized '87 CSA 4212, 2000 Garnet Mohawk, '60's Kiel modded by the late great Gar Gillies
onedrum
Page

Postby henrygrik on Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:32 am

onedrum wrote:i've got an old whirlwind passive d.i. with a hammond transformer in it haha!

Hi onedrum

Nice joke my friend by the way what do you do. Are u a guitar fan...?
henrygrik
Peasant

Postby onedrum on Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:48 am

i'm an audio engineer- live sound and studio. i also play in bands. this is all i actually do for a living. i feel like i'm retired. it's lovely!!
http://www.myspace.com/theafterbeat Bastardized '87 CSA 4212, 2000 Garnet Mohawk, '60's Kiel modded by the late great Gar Gillies
onedrum
Page

Postby Sean Camp on Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:38 pm

Excuse my ignorance if you will about the Breedlove Custom 12 string, what kind of pickup? Piezo, magnetic, both? Do you use a preamp, is one built in? If the output does not need 'compensated' EQ like a piezo with no preamp would. Passive and simple like the IMP2 would work well.
However, there are some simple schematics on the WEB that you could build using a 12au7 as a buffer i.e. no gain that could use the IMP transformer as the output. Give me a day or two to look through my files, if all you need is a good sounding way to get your axe to the soundman, I bet I can find an EZ and 'mojocool' one tube for stereo build that would be clean, EZ to build and run off a low voltage.
Whirlwind also makes some rack mount DI's for keyboards that have multiple outputs.
Love Ya, Buh-By.
Sean Camp
Page

Postby Sean Camp on Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:12 pm

Sorry, I can't seem to find my MojoCool buffer Schematic right now.(it is on PAPER). I will post it when I find it. That said, I think an IMP2 or two will work great live. Passive, clear and EZ!
I would still like to hear about your Breedlove Custom 12 string and what kind of pups it has.
Love Ya, Buh-By.
Sean Camp
Page

Return to Live Sound Reinforcement