Best drums for blues covers?

Best drums for blues covers?

Postby Gary C. on Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:48 pm

They have good deals at the moment on Gretsch drums.
There's a shell pack made of maple,in the Catalina line,with fusion-size drums.
Then there is the Catalina Club,which is a 4-piece set,in small sizes.Probably mahogany,if I recall.
Any opinions on which set would have a more authentic sound,for old-school blues?
Gary C.
Page

Re: Best drums for blues covers?

Postby chupy on Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:24 am

When you get right down to it, it’s all about micing and tuning and they way you play.

Mahogany will sound darker then Maple. But I think their using some kind of fake Asian mahogany. I could be wrong.
chupy

Postby Gary C. on Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:00 am

What I pulled the trigger on finally was a set of Ludwig Classic Birch,in Power sizes,with a Natural finish.
They had been set-up on a showroom floor and played on a little,but were still brand new.
Didn't care at all about the clear heads that were on them,so I pulled the batter heads and installed Remo Ambassadors.
They still have the Ludwig resonate heads.
Also didn't like the black resonate head with the modern logo on the bass drum,so I had my local shop order me a white resonate head with the classic Ludwig logo.Looks MUCH nicer.
Then i got a Holz Snapper kit from ebay,and ported the bass drum resonate head with it.

Tuned 'em up with a Drum Dial,and have been a happy camper ever since.
The set is beautiful,and sounds great.
The birch shells give an immediate attack,which is tamed slightly by the coated Remo heads.

I'm not much of a drummer-I can play some blues shuffles and slow blues,that's about it.I like doing it,though.
Now I have a partner that is a REAL drummer,and he can make these Luddies sing.
We've played everything from Zep to Muddy,and we sound good together,I think. (I'm on guitar)

Now all we need is a bassist and some rehearsal time,and I think we can start gigging.

These drums were an EXCELLENT purchase,with this bad economy!!
Even the Ludwig hardware is light-years better than the cheap junk I'd been using.

The only hassle is my drummer cat is left-handed,so he has to set the kit up backwards when he comes over.
I can live with that,though. :mrgreen:
Gary C.
Page

Postby hanifkhan on Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:09 am

i got a Holz Snapper kit from ebay,and ported the bass drum resonate head with it.

Tuned 'em up with a Drum Dial,and have been a happy camper ever since.
The set is beautiful,and sounds great.
The birch shells give an immediate attack,which is tamed slightly by the coated Remo heads.
Get Braindumps demos comptia a+ passguide with 100% success security+ questions Our high quality keiseruniversity itil prepares you well before appearing in www.sckans.edu of Stanford University
hanifkhan
Peasant

Return to Drum Kit Corner