Does anyone build their own mixers?

The gear that's hot and gear that's not. Live sound can make or break your gig. Microphone placement,Mixing Boards, Power amps and speakers.

Does anyone build their own mixers?

Postby TFL on Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:33 pm

I know this is a long shot but with many of us tinkering with our own guitars and amps I thought it was worth a shot. This is something I want to learn about. I would really like to find the "Metroamp of Mixer Kits :lol: " if one existed. Anyone have any suggestions?
TFL
Squire

Postby gusfinley on Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:42 pm

I have certainly thought about it- building my own mixer. I can't seem to find one that has everything I want. Of course, if I built my own I would probably put some tube driven channels in it!

This would be much more doable if you were to make individual pcbs for each channel. The mixer would become expandable. Also, faulty channels could easily be replaced and repaired. There would certainly be a lot of design aspects that would need to be evaluated in making your own mixer.

In the end, I determined that I would just buy a cheap mixer while I looked for one that I liked a lot. So far the Allen & Heath MixWiz series is winning there. I just need to save up $1000 while I wear out my $150 behringer mixer!
gusfinley
Knight

Re: Does anyone build their own mixers?

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:00 pm

Would love to clone some channel strips from my buddies '73 Electrodyne console, but a lot of the parts would have to be fabricated as they are damn near impossible to source....
ImageImageImage

John Lennon/Jimi Hendrix/Jimmy Page Fan
Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Postby onedrum on Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:05 am

there was a tube board for sale for HUGE money on one of the pro sites a few months ago. i think it was only like 6-8 channels, and it looked like a pice of furniture. totally unconventional but it was from the 50's or somethin. pretty cool. for the life of me i can't recall the site or brand but i THINK it was rca. i'm not confident on this one haha! sorry..

OH, it was soundbroker.com
http://www.myspace.com/theafterbeat Bastardized '87 CSA 4212, 2000 Garnet Mohawk, '60's Kiel modded by the late great Gar Gillies
onedrum
Page

Postby Roy Boltz on Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:28 pm

onedrum wrote:there was a tube board for sale for HUGE money on one of the pro sites a few months ago. i think it was only like 6-8 channels, and it looked like a pice of furniture. totally unconventional but it was from the 50's or somethin. pretty cool. for the life of me i can't recall the site or brand but i THINK it was rca. i'm not confident on this one haha! sorry..

OH, it was soundbroker.com

I though since we are on the topic of tube mixers, Garnet Gillies made a very, & I do mean very limited run of mono tube mixers back in the day, if you ever find one, grab it.
Gar was a dear friend, & he told me if I ever found one, that he wanted it, & if I liked it he would build me one for,,,,,,,FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He said that with a few slight mods you would have a very nice mic pre channel indeed
This is no word of a lie gents. :wink:
A fellow forum member has one & I tried to do a trade but we never realy did get around to doing a deal. :cry:

Roy Boltz
Roy Boltz
King

Postby onedrum on Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:52 am

gar did some work on a Keil p.a. amp that i have. it's 4 channels, tube rectified, hand wired ptp. he "modded" 3 of the 4 channels on it to sound better with guitar. it's rad! roy i'd love to show it to you sometime. :thumbsup:
http://www.myspace.com/theafterbeat Bastardized '87 CSA 4212, 2000 Garnet Mohawk, '60's Kiel modded by the late great Gar Gillies
onedrum
Page

Postby Roy Boltz on Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:08 am

onedrum wrote:gar did some work on a Keil p.a. amp that i have. it's 4 channels, tube rectified, hand wired ptp. he "modded" 3 of the 4 channels on it to sound better with guitar. it's rad! roy i'd love to show it to you sometime. :thumbsup:

Hey I'm in like Flint Buddy!!!!! :wink:
Roy Boltz
King

Postby lexicondevil on Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:05 pm

TFL wrote:I know this is a long shot but with many of us tinkering with our own guitars and amps I thought it was worth a shot. This is something I want to learn about. I would really like to find the "Metroamp of Mixer Kits :lol: " if one existed. Anyone have any suggestions?

Expect to pony up some SERIOUS $$$ for items like Jensen input transformers, as well as some of the Discrete transistors that I've seen available.
lexicondevil
Squire

Return to Live Sound Reinforcement