Cool Moog Taurus I Mod

Vintage synths, New synths, The sounds of the great bands are linked to the electronic keyboard. Just ask Pink Floyd.

Cool Moog Taurus I Mod

Postby TubeGetter on Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:00 pm

As you might have heard, one of the problems that Moog Taurus I pedals have as they get older is the pedal trigger points on the triggger board assembly stop working.....corrosion and dirt build up cause them to stop working. The original trigger assembly that Moog had assembled in Mexico is a bit of a primitive design, so I looked for a better solution. In the end, I had a custom made trigger assembly made to replace the original. Kevin Lightner did an awesome job with it.

Here's a pic with the new vs. the old:

Here's a close up of the contact points. You can see how old and partially corroded they are.

Here's a pic of just the pedals in the frame. The white pads are what hits the trigger. I replaced these old ones.

Now the new trigger board is placed in the frame with the pedal pad heights adjusted so that each pedal triggers at the same point when engaged.

Here's another side shot

So this should put to rest any future trigger problems that would've occured. There's a lot more to aligning each pedal.....I didn't get into it because it would be too time consuming to write.
TubeGetter
Emperor

Re: Cool Moog Taurus I Mod

Postby madstrat on Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:46 pm

nice job

dunno if you heard about the reissue:

Moog Music has announced on its website it will produce 1,000 Taurus I pedals for a November 2009 target delivery. The company has stated it will faithfully reproduce the sound as in the original pedal, and, in addition, preliminary specifications state it will have MIDI and more sound banks. Although down payment preorders are being accepted until February 2009, with a discount to the first 250 buyers, the company has stated they will refund all pre orders if they decide not to continue with production
madstrat
Knight

Postby TubeGetter on Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:37 pm

I hadn't heard that. I just checked it out. I'm sure it will be a fine item, but I'll be shocked if it's spot on. The Mini-Moog Voyager, although it's a great synth, doesn't sound eaxclty like a real MM. MM's were made a little different during certain era's and there's a variation in sound. I know a guy that used to build for Bob Moog in the 70's....I'll have to ask his opinion and what he's heard.
TubeGetter
Emperor

Postby TubeGetter on Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:21 am

I talked to Moog and they sold out the intial 250 order $500 deposit $1699 units. The rest will be $1999 and they'll make up to 1000.

My friend believes they will be able to perfectly clone the T1 circuit for the new T3. So that's good news. It'll probably be a couple years until it's shipping though.
TubeGetter
Emperor

Postby plexi on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:30 am

Can someone buy me a set! please!!!
plexi
Site Admin

Return to Analog & Digital Keyboard Synths