Acoustic Room Treatments

Recording systems, Software, Microphones, plugins, computers that work, the best ways to capture the sound. A good place to start figuring out that sound is here.

Acoustic Room Treatments

Postby Britishampfan on Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:52 pm

I have a 24x12 foot soundproof recording room and it has some serious standing wave issue`s in the Bass frequencies and I was wondering if anyone built their own Bass traps and how they worked.

I`ve found a bunch of sites that deal with homemade traps but I doubt how well they really work. I would just get the 12" corner sonex bass trap but I don`t have $3000 for foam right now.

Is there any good software (cheap,free) for full spectrum room tuning so I can analyze the Frequencies and tune the room from there.

Exactly half of the room is double walled with mass vinyl and sound channel, double rocked with insulation and screened so it is like a Helmholtz resonator. The other half is bright, cement construction.

All Idea`s to get this room sounding right are welcome,

Thanks
Britishampfan
Connoisseur of Crunch

Re: Acoustic Room Treatments

Postby geoff_bell on Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:03 am

have you tried moving the amp about and changing angles and stuff, maybe face the speakers into the wall?
geoff_bell
Knight

Postby Britishampfan on Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:59 pm

geoff_bell wrote:have you tried moving the amp about and changing angles and stuff, maybe face the speakers into the wall?

Overall it does change moving gear and mic`s around but it literally rings at bass and kick drum frequencies. Thanks for the reply I`m still working on it and I did move everything around it seems better but the room is voiced a certain way inherent from the construction.

It seems the Sonex is the best route thus far.
Britishampfan
Connoisseur of Crunch

Postby Quig on Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:39 pm

The magazine Sound on Sound have had several articles about home studio acoustics, worth a read. Specifically they had a DIY bass trap that seemed feasible for anyone with rudimentary carpenting skills. It's basically a frame with a hanging sheet of some dense, heavy material + rockwool.
"If one man can show this much hate, think of how much love we can show together."

-Quote of a norwegian teenager from Utoya in an interview with CNN
Quig
Page

Postby TsunamiCables on Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:20 am

Bass traps are a great Idea But It wont really get rid of the standing waves it will just lower the volume of them. Witch could help. For a much better sound and cheeper then those $3000 bass traps!! I would put some angels on the walls. Standing wave accrue when there is two parallel walls so now if you move one wall 10-20 degrees. Now the problem is gone. What I would do is take one wall like the 12' wall and start there. doing one wall at a time. Now moving a wall sounds like a lot but all you have to do.is make the wall not flat to the other. You can even just put a 2X4 on end "or for a greater angle a 2X6" Then just run plywood or sheet rock. To make a new wall.
I hope that helps.
Keith
TsunamiCables
Peasant

Postby Sean Camp on Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:48 pm

TsunamiCables has the best EZ idea. Angling just one wall WILL make a noticeable(measurable) difference.Then add homemade corner traps if needed. Be sure to angel your control room window glass on both sides if you are using two panes. You'll be glad you did.
Also, sometimes less is more= use LESS framing and singe layers of drywall to allow the walls to move and adsorb low frequencies.
Love Ya, Buh-By.
Sean Camp
Page

Postby MichaelE on Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:26 am

Agreed. You don't want parallel surfaces in the room. Some office cubical dividers can go along way to breaking up the parallelism of the room and deaden it out some. You don't want to kill it, but standing waves are not good.
MichaelE
Page

Postby Britishampfan on Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:21 pm

Hey, thanks for the replies I have`nt been down to this side of the board in a bit. My recording studio room is still needing the finishing touches and tuning the project is moving slow till some consistent money source is found.

I built the walls at 5 degrees off square but the two ends are parallel block walls.
Britishampfan
Connoisseur of Crunch

Postby plexi on Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:29 am

Hmm, I jut posted to this very issue.

Save your self the misery and work. I wrote an article for MacProVideo.com Blog. Read this, Your problem is solved. Seriously.
Attachments
Screen shot 2011-02-02 at 9.23.22 PM.png
plexi
Site Admin

Postby Britishampfan on Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:06 pm

I missed your post, I will check out your article, thanks!
Britishampfan
Connoisseur of Crunch

Return to Recording Gear, Mics, Software and Techniques