vintage drum kits?

vintage drum kits?

Postby thebugman on Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:02 am

So, this is the drum kit corner then...is there anybody out there?? :shhh:

I'm looking for my first drum kit and need some guidance. As with amps, vintage is preferred, brand and collectability doesn't matter. Even though all I can play is basic rock'n'roll, I'm not into bottom heavy super punchy rock drums. A responsive small kit with a 60s jazz/pop/swing sound would be great. What choices would be obvious, what should I look for? I really have no clue about drums in general. All I know is I like playing them.
thebugman
Knight

Re: vintage drum kits?

Postby gypsy moth on Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:13 am

given your preferences - any brand that comes up at the right price would do fine. Premiere is likely more common/affordable there than US stuff like Ludwig, Rogers, Gretsch. if you stumble on Camco's, get em. period.
otherwise try everything in your price range, and you have as good a chance on getting good sounding who knows what as name stuff - plus it really is in your tuning and playing anyway.
http://www.myspace.com/gmothmusic

2002 live from the globe of death, 2004 a collection of favorite spanish love songs, 2007 the tomb of the deaf, 2009 killing it in a bad way
gypsy moth
King

Postby chupy on Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:31 am

I'll note, i've had 2 "vintage" Ludwigs in the past, plus known lots of drummers with vintage kits and the hardware can be a pain in the a**. Watchin those locks fail after 20 min is fun. :lol:

If it was me and had to have a vintage kit. I'd go find the shells but then use new hardware. Although sometimes the newer hardware wont fit/work with the older shells. You gotta measure everything before you start ordering the hardware.

Personally i'd just go with a kit made in the past 25-30 years. I don't have time to be d*ckin around with hardware movin around and fallin apart. It needs to work and not move. But that's just me. :lol:

If you go cheap on the cymbal stands get some weights or sandbags to hold em down. Nothing less then 25lbs.

If you wanna spend the money check out Keller shells and have em done your way.
http://www.kelleratthecore.com/products.php
chupy

Postby thebugman on Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:04 pm

thanks for the replies.
I'll keep watching the local pages and auctions, maybe something old and worthwhile turns up for decent money. At this point, buying shells and shell hardware separately sounds too complicated. Maybe something I would do later if I'm getting really serious about it.The whole thing is enough difficult for me already, and I'm just talking basic setup. Same feeling like when I started playing guitar and everything was foreign to me.
thebugman
Knight

Postby chupy on Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:57 am

Now they do make new drum kits like the old one’s if you wanna go that route. I still prefer newer style hardware though. But I figure I would give ya some links.
Gene Krupa Signature
Buddy Rich kit
Zep set
chupy

Postby thebugman on Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:28 am

chupy wrote:Now they do make new drum kits like the old one’s if you wanna go that route. I still prefer newer style hardware though. But I figure I would give ya some links.
Gene Krupa Signature
Buddy Rich kit
Zep set

holy crap, those look great! I'm already starting to get drum GAS. Unfortunately way too expensive, for now.
thebugman
Knight

Return to Drum Kit Corner