I'll Try and Kick things off

Lets hear it from the pros, all things guitar by the hands of the trade. Great tips and if you like to build your own guitars, this is a place to find trade tips.

I'll Try and Kick things off

Postby ian frankish on Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:19 pm

I don't consider myself a "luthier" by any stretch of the imagination but I like to have a go - after all I made an excellent toast rack in woodwork at school. :) I have only made two guitars so far and it took me ages. My only tools are a router and a spoke shave and some sandpaper but I get there in the end. Here are some pics :-

From this

to this

via this

Sounds really nice
Tufnol for turret boards!!
ian frankish
Certified

Re: I'll Try and Kick things off

Postby chupy on Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:46 pm

Have you ever built any SG's?
chupy

Postby ian frankish on Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:21 pm

No not yet but the first one I did probably required the same skills

ian frankish
Certified

Postby gypsy moth on Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:24 am

somehow I think you may have done a few other things since the toast rack.
I keep telling myself that if I buy a done neck I could do the 12 string I want - and myself keeps telling me maybe I couldn't.
http://www.myspace.com/gmothmusic

2002 live from the globe of death, 2004 a collection of favorite spanish love songs, 2007 the tomb of the deaf, 2009 killing it in a bad way
gypsy moth
King

Postby ian frankish on Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:14 pm

More pictures

ian frankish
Certified

Postby Unit_1 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:07 pm

spectacular....!

how much did the supplies cost you?

no pictures of the toast rack?

:mrgreen:
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby ian frankish on Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:29 pm

Thanks.... and sorry no picture of the toast rack.

The materials were quite expensive - I used genuine Gibson pickups and Grover tuners. The wood is Brazilian mahogony, ebony and quilted maple which came to about £140 in total. The Frankish abalone MOP logo was laser cut and was about £25 and the back cover plate engraving and gold plating was about £50.

The Bigsby copy tremolo and roller bridge came to about £60.

Now I think about it I would have probably saved money if I just went out and bought an original!! :)
ian frankish
Certified

Postby Unit_1 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:45 pm

i've always used the old fashion saw for inlays (started making jewelery when i was 11 -- 46 years ago...) never even thought of something as fancy as a laser cut.... that's a cool idea.

did you learn how to build guitars from a dvd, a book, or?

i really want to make one someday, from scratch.

"hey, nice guitar where'd you get that"

"made it"

that's so awesome.
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby Unit_1 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:31 am

Unit_1
Prince

Return to The Guitar Builder Corner