History of RCA

How can you get a great tone without a good understanding of what makes your amp tick? — EL34, EL84, 6L6, KT66, KT88, 12AX7, 12AT7, 12AU7, EF86, Output Transformers, Power Transformers, Capacitors, Resistors and everything else that it takes to make a tube amp sing!

History of RCA

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:28 pm

Starts at square one, in a canvas tent no less exploring radio transmission/reception, then through military equipment which led to exponential advances in techniques and materials.

http://www.davidsarnoff.org/sitemap.html

Galleries:

http://www.davidsarnoff.org/gallery-rc- ... rc-20.html

Nifty cool. :wink:
ImageImageImage

John Lennon/Jimi Hendrix/Jimmy Page Fan
Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Postby pckpat on Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:16 am

sarnoff had some major legal disputes over television-related patents with a rather obscure inventor named philo farnsworth.farnsworth was offered a job with rca in exchange for his ideas,but declined and went to work for philco.the sarnoff-farnsworth dispute went on for decades. vladimir zworykin was an rca engineer who visited farnsworth's lab,and changed his whole approach toward the fledgling medium of tv.
pckpat
Emperor

Postby JeffWest on Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:38 am

Great looking link! Yeah, I assume from context it may tend to take a sympathetic Sarnoff view. The Farnsworth story is pretty amazing too, Idaho ranch boy and radio repairman HS graduate who developed the first all electronic television system and transmitted images for the first time by the age of 21. Pckpat, have you read "Tube", by Fisher & Fisher?
JeffWest
Knight

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:17 pm

Have to add that to my amazon wish list. Any other historical tube related tomes that you would recommend Jeff?
ImageImageImage

Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Postby JeffWest on Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:45 pm

Baron- The full title of that one is "Tube: The Invention of Television" by David E. Fisher and Marshall Jon Fisher.

I'll send a little more info shortly.
JeffWest
Knight

Re: History of RCA

Postby tone-lizard on Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:01 am

Sarnoff was a petty, greedy, heartless extortion artist. Knowing SFA about electronics didn't seem to hinder him, either. I haven't read the enitire sanitized story of RCA that this specific link points to, but I'll still wager Major Armstrong gets only a passing mention, and his suicide is completely avoided. Wouldn't want to stain the General's good name, would we? :roll:
"Never mix alcohol and calculus. It isn't a good idea to drink and derive."
tone-lizard
Page

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:52 pm

I have to admit that I had heard some talk of RCA "bullying" other companies, but I posted this not to deify Sarnoff, but because of the historical timeline and the detailed development of the industry which RCA had a very big hand in.

Other links are welcome TL. :wink:
ImageImageImage

Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Postby pckpat on Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:16 am

while sarnoff does cme across as a villain(and only one of many in big business :x )i won't let that stop me from using my blackplates. :lol: unfortunately,the central library only had a couple of good books on tube history last time i checked.too bad my wife no longer works at the university bookstore.they had a great technical slection.i'll keep my eyes open for that one,too,jeff.
"Who does not work,is heavy to the earth" (Albanian proverb)
"Vision without action,is a dream-Action without vision is a nightmare"-(Japanese saying)
pckpat
Emperor

Postby P-Dawg on Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:17 pm

tone-lizard wrote:Sarnoff was a petty, greedy, heartless extortion artist. Knowing SFA about electronics didn't seem to hinder him, either. I haven't read the enitire sanitized story of RCA that this specific link points to, but I'll still wager Major Armstrong gets only a passing mention, and his suicide is completely avoided. Wouldn't want to stain the General's good name, would we? :roll:

Tone-lizard, your stock has gone up quite a bit in my estimation. Armstrong was the most prolific radio inventor this country has ever seen, with all due respect to the other pioneers. Lee DeForest billed himself as the father of radio, but I think you'd have t osay that the child was brought up by Major Edwin Armstrong.

I've got a bio of Armstrong around here somewhere.

Armstrong was, of course completely vindicated in the courts by his wife-who'd been Sarnoff's secretary way back when.
If you believe in coincidence, you're not looking close enough-Joe Leaphorn
P-Dawg
Knight

Postby pckpat on Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:25 pm

ted rogers,sr. was another mostly unheralded one who made some huge strides in early radio technology.he was also involved in the development of radar.he started the business that turned into half of the the huge rogers-majestic dynasty.his son,ted jr.just died.he made a lot of money on his own,starting with fm and tv stations,and now cable ,internet and wireless comm. one of the richest canadians at the time of his demise.rogers tubes are great,imo-later became part of the philips co.(i call them the canadian amperex).
"Who does not work,is heavy to the earth" (Albanian proverb)
"Vision without action,is a dream-Action without vision is a nightmare"-(Japanese saying)
pckpat
Emperor

Postby CP 103 on Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:14 pm

Empire of the Air is a good book that discusses Marconi, DeForest, Armstrong, and Sarnoff. I believe it was made into a documentary.
CP 103
Knight

Postby P-Dawg on Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:10 pm

tone-lizard wrote:Sarnoff was a petty, greedy, heartless extortion artist. Knowing SFA about electronics didn't seem to hinder him, either. I haven't read the enitire sanitized story of RCA that this specific link points to, but I'll still wager Major Armstrong gets only a passing mention, and his suicide is completely avoided. Wouldn't want to stain the General's good name, would we? :roll:

You got a witness, preacher.

Another unsung hero in the development of radio and television was Allen DuMont, who invented the magic eye tube and sold the rights for enough money to start the DuMont teevee and scope empire.
If you believe in coincidence, you're not looking close enough-Joe Leaphorn
P-Dawg
Knight

Postby 64vox on Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:02 am

Speaking of Armstrong I have his 1947 klipschorn hand built by Paul Klipsch,
It still sounds grat today. I was pure evil what RA did to him back then.
64vox
Certified

Return to Tubes, Transformers and Components