Fave boards/mics/amps/outboard gear/venue/gig, and why?!

The gear that's hot and gear that's not. Live sound can make or break your gig. Microphone placement,Mixing Boards, Power amps and speakers.

Fave boards/mics/amps/outboard gear/venue/gig, and why?!

Postby onedrum on Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:58 am

first off, big thanks to the forum for adding this section!!

ok i'll get started...

-board: i love the old soundcraft 400b's cuz they've got a TON of clean headroom in the pre-amps, however, lack of mute groups and pre-outs on each channel kinda sucks. for new stuff, there isn't much i don't like except the soundcraft gb series. what a joke. i think behringer could do better.

-mics: the usual-57s,58s,604s,d-112s. i really like 421s on toms and floor toms when i get the chance. any condensor is decent live, i don't even mind cheapos!

-outboard gear: i really like those simple lexicon fx units. so quick to set up. my fav gate so far is a symetrix from the early nineties, and for comps, i like the drawmers, and the bss's with the de-esser. i actually don't use a whole lot of outboard gear unless i'm in a small room that has a ton of power and needs the extra 'control'. for eq i love the bss with the extra two controls that are bassically bass and treble!! handiest things ever!!

-best smaller venue for me hands down is urban lounge in edmonton canada. absolutely killer system, great lighting, clean and indestructible bathrooms, beautiful green room, great venue all around. it's what any venue under a 1000 capacity should aspire to be. i mean seriously, these guys had a 50+channel K2 for a MONITOR desk??!! awesome!!

-fav gig? that's a tuff one...could tell you a few bad ones haha! uuum, oh actually, the grand mothers. those guys were a hoot to work for and amazing musicians. they wouldn't give me a sound check!!! i'd ask for a part of the drum kit like a tom or something and the guy would go berserk playing everything as fast and hard as he could then say "there, i hit that tom" haha!

alright guys, let's hear the best and worst of what you've worked or experienced!!
http://www.myspace.com/theafterbeat Bastardized '87 CSA 4212, 2000 Garnet Mohawk, '60's Kiel modded by the late great Gar Gillies
onedrum
Page

Re: Fave boards/mics/amps/outboard gear/venue/gig, and why?!

Postby Roy33 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:56 pm

my fave lead vox tool is my BSS DPR-901,I use a BSS DPR-402 on the mains,drums I use Klark and Drawmer gates and comps.still got my old 200B for small gigs. too many bad gigs to mention,my fave room locally is the Commodore Ballroom,Soundcraft Series Five,L'Acoustics VDOSC nice stuff.

did you watch the Canucks beat the Coilers last night? haha j/k cheers onedrum.
Roy33
Knight

Postby gusfinley on Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:16 am

After being a "roadie" for the University I attended for 5 years, I have to say that my favorite mixer is the Allen and Heath MixWiz 16:2. Before we got a few of these we were severely limited in what we could do, especially in monitoring situations. We used active monitors so it was no trouble to just run a mic cord to a monitor to give it an independent mix. With 6 Aux busses, there was always ample room for one more monitor mix. It has everything you would want for live and recording situations including directs outs and inserts on every channel!

I once did a show for a swing group that wanted to record their performance. They handed me some sort of recording device and I was able to use monitors mixes on stage and create a custom, stereo live recording that sounded better than the room did! They were very impressed, and I was glad I could provide such an awesome recording for them!
gusfinley
Knight

Postby onedrum on Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:02 am

yeah those mix wizards are great for the price. they perform and sound light years ahead of anyone else in that range. another nice thing is the new ones are designed better as far as lining the channel meters up with the fader better... the old ones always confused me when i was in a hurry cuz the leds looked like they were a little offset so i'd adjust the wrong strip all the time haha!

and yeah roy i did see that game haha! actually the band i play in opened for bedouin soundclash at the comodore.... right before i joined :-( As a matter of fact i'll be out your way in march, we're supporting a rock-a-billy band from toronto called the creepshow. i'll be sure and drop a message when we're out!!
http://www.myspace.com/theafterbeat Bastardized '87 CSA 4212, 2000 Garnet Mohawk, '60's Kiel modded by the late great Gar Gillies
onedrum
Page

Postby Gibsonsg on Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:11 am

gusfinley wrote:After being a "roadie" for the University I attended for 5 years, I have to say that my favorite mixer is the Allen and Heath MixWiz 16:2. Before we got a few of these we were severely limited in what we could do, especially in monitoring situations. We used active monitors so it was no trouble to just run a mic cord to a monitor to give it an independent mix. With 6 Aux busses, there was always ample room for one more monitor mix. It has everything you would want for live and recording situations including directs outs and inserts on every channel!

I once did a show for a swing group that wanted to record their performance. They handed me some sort of recording device and I was able to use monitors mixes on stage and create a custom, stereo live recording that sounded better than the room did! They were very impressed, and I was glad I could provide such an awesome recording for them!

I did the same thing with an Allen & Heath desk at a small local club to send a separate mix off the aux's to a TV news camera crew that was filming part of the show. Great flexibility for mix buses on those boards for the price. I've also used the Mackie SR, and hated it. Another memorable desk I worked on was a Soundcraft. I don't remember the model, but it sounded great. It helped that the SA (Sound Accompaniment) mains speakers absolutely sounded killer. As I recall the SA arrays & subs were powered by Carver amps at the time. Anyway, it was a fun system to mix with lots of balls.
Warmoth Les Paul w/ HighOrder pickups, Hamer USA Daytona w/ Fralin Vintage Hots, GDS Amplification 18W TMB, Voodoo Labs Pedal Power II, Teece Wizard Wah, Foxrox Octron, Analogman Beano Boost, Crowther Audio Hotcake, G2D Morpheus.
Gibsonsg
Squire

Postby forkbeard on Mon May 11, 2009 7:29 pm

I recently picked up a pair of Klipsch KP-320s (1988 circa) from a friend for using as mains speakers in my band.

They not only sound phonomenal but look really cool,.,..black with a Hi Fi syle front grille.
1x15" drivers with a large magnet 1" horn and a 10" indirect firing sub woofer speaker at the bottom.
the crossover network is really sweet and the boxes are built very tough but look like something you'd put in your living room.

Then I bought a pair of EAW small venue two ways and OH MAN! Can't decide which ones to use anymore.
"Where guitars and 100 watt amplifiers are not welcome...there it is wise to bring guitars and 100 watt amplifiers!"
forkbeard
Squire

Postby welshman on Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:36 am

:thumbsup: for the allen and heath , great eq for acoustic work as well .
to be born welsh is not to be born with a silver spoon in the mouth but music in your heart and poetry in your soul www.flatlandboogieband.co.uk
www.myspace.com/flatlandboogieband
welshman
Knight

Postby MichaelE on Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:47 pm

A&H were always considered nice consoles. I don't know about the new foreign made models.
MichaelE
Page

Postby Sean Camp on Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:47 pm

My fave piece of outboard FX is the Yamaha analog delay from the late 70's. The consumer one that i have is mostly for guitar but can be switched to two other input gain/impedance settings. The only difference in the high end model is the addition of a two band shelving EQ on the feedback loop.
Love Ya, Buh-By.
Sean Camp
Page

Postby beaulieu on Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:08 pm

Favorite amps and speakers....Crown MacroTech and JBL Professional series speakers. I just started running sound for my friends band.Dean Cramers SoLow. They just opened up for KISS! Anyway I am running a 3 way system. Huge 18" Single Scoops loaded with JBL E 155's. Perkins mids with E 140's and a set of 1 inch JBL horns.I just got a set of 2" horns but havn't added them in yet. For amps to run the mains I have 2. A Crown MA 24x6. (1 ch of a 2400 and 1 ch of a 600. One side for the subs and other side for horns.Then I have a PowerTech 1 for the mids. With only 800 watts going to the 2 subs it just kills.Sounds awesome.Very loud,Tight and CLEAN. I have peavey eq's,PV Board,Alesis and Beherenger & DBX compressors.My outboard gear is just average BUT The amps and speakers are Top of the line and I think that stuffs more important then the average gear I have.I will upgrade all the x-over etc as time goes on.
Mark
69 "Real"Plexi 1992
73 1987
68 1987/86 build NOS parts
12000 series build NOS parts
2554 (Black)Jubilee
7 4x12 cabs left LOL
71LesPaul deluxe
2 Charvels
2 GSXR 1000's
2 PitBUlls (pets)
MXR pedals