open/alternate tunings?

Tone isn't just in the gear, its in your fingers and your head

open/alternate tunings?

Postby gemmill on Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:51 am

i used to exclusively play in standard, but over the last year or so have started using these tunings...

the first three are open tunings:
d a d f# a d
d a d f a d
d g d g b d

oddly, i find d major easier to find minor voicings in, and d minor easier for major voicings.

the last just drops the d to c.
e a c g b e

i started using this one after writing a good song while i was kind of drunk and not tuning properly.

just curious if anyone else here is using alternate tunings, and if so, which ones? the only other one i've ever really tried is d a d g a d, which i didn't like.
gemmill
Knight

re:

Postby TubeGuy on Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:39 am

I have always been partial to Page's tunings, of which my favorite is the "Ran Song" (live) tuning E A D A D E . There are alot of lush open string/ octave chords to be had here.
TubeGuy
Peasant

Postby Hiwatt Bob on Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:20 pm

this is a hawaiian lap steel tuning that i've used to write many a song. very cool.

6th to 1st: G B E G B D
Hiwatt Bob
Baron

Postby ®ëv. ßïll¥ © on Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:43 pm

I use 'Open G' and 'Open E' all the time. 8)
ImageImageImage

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." --- Thomas Jefferson
®ëv. ßïll¥ ©
The Central Scrutinizer

Postby t0aj15 on Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:24 pm

I found a small but very useful book several years ago that contains over three hundred alternate tunings, as well as explanations on what artists used them in what songs. Best of all it only costs six dollars. See it hear:
http://halleonard.com/item_detail.jsp?itemid=695217&order=1&catcode=01&refer=search&type=product&keywords=alternate+tunings+for+guitar+&location=GuitarBass
t0aj15
Knight

Postby Cy on Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:21 pm

Mainly open "G" and "D", I always have an electric with me in "G" for the Keith Richards thing. I've also used DADGCF with the C and F droning.
Guitars really resonate in open tunings, they seem natural.
Cy
Baron

Postby welshman on Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:50 am

i used to have a lpjnr for open G but allthough i am a vintage nut really , i bought a VARIAX 500 and the workbench and now swap between , open G on a strat,open E on a LP jnr, and dropped D on a gretsch 6120 . and last but no means least a bartone A tuning on a tele.
use my tele for most stuff butinstead of carrying 3 guitars and still having to detune i just take 2 strung differently.
to be born welsh is not to be born with a silver spoon in the mouth but music in your heart and poetry in your soul www.flatlandboogieband.co.uk
www.myspace.com/flatlandboogieband
welshman
Knight

Postby MoneenEatWorld on Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:38 am

I don't do that much, but I do enjoy double drop D or C for easy open tapping and the soloing flavor I take on in that style.

One that I have found odd is tuning(while in Standard) your low E to A. It is evil sounding and can be quite interesting combined with chords.
MoneenEatWorld
Certified

Re: open/alternate tunings?

Postby BANZR on Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:37 pm

I've been using EACGBE, also since today. I just stumbled on it and it fits well to a morbid grunge sound even if that's not what you were going for. A little distortion goes a long way power chords are still easy to play from the fifth string down. Just move your pinky to the right two frets. the top three strings are a triad and you can even get some cool sounds by playing open chords.
BANZR
Peasant

Postby gemmill on Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:39 pm

BANZR wrote:I've been using EACGBE, also since today. I just stumbled on it and it fits well to a morbid grunge sound even if that's not what you were going for. A little distortion goes a long way power chords are still easy to play from the fifth string down. Just move your pinky to the right two frets. the top three strings are a triad and you can even get some cool sounds by playing open chords.

wow, post resurrection.

and funny timing too. i started messing around w/ an f#maj tuning used by curtis mayfield. not really meshing with it yet, though with its tight intervals it's kind of similar to some 6 string lap steel tunings.

F#, A#, C#, F#, A#, F#
gemmill
Knight

Postby Britishampfan on Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:09 pm

I have`nt played in a standard tuning for many years.

for ease of explanation I use DADGBE then detune everything to a double flat. I don`t like dropping the High E it just works easier for leads for me.

I use a bunch more but the above is my standard. And I have a guitar tuned and set up for each tuning, so I just swap out guitars live, no messing around.

I`ve found that every guitar I own sounds best in a certain range, for instance some guitars can not handle drop tunings well, they get too muddy and unclear while some just hum and sound better.They all have their own voice that's for sure.
Britishampfan
Connoisseur of Crunch

Postby gemmill on Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:21 pm

Britishampfan wrote:I use a bunch more but the above is my standard. And I have a guitar tuned and set up for each tuning, so I just swap out guitars live, no messing around.

i used to do that, or close... a guitar for each pair of tunings that had only 1 different string... i've mostly done accompaniment for the last couple years, and i tend to play standard in that situation if i'm not doing lap or pedal steel. i decided this year i'm going to get a guitar band going again though... any non-flashy drummers in nyc?
gemmill
Knight

Postby edred on Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:26 pm

I know its kinda remedial but, could someone spell out and label all the most popular open tunings? I would appreciate it a lot. Cheers :jam:
"Im not sure who the best guitar player in the world is, its not edred, thats for sure, Garcia agrees with me on this...;"
Jimi Hendrix
edred
Knight

Postby geoff_bell on Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:39 pm

i was shown daddad a long time ago (or was is dadgad?). i was told it was this folkie tuning that stills used to use. of course, at the time i'd have been into alternative rock or grunge or whatever it was called in those days, so it just ended up sounding like sonic youth and not like crosby stills and nash.

i've continued to use dropped-d off an on for this last twenty years. i still think it's cool. it can take half a song to realise what's wrong with the guitar if you forget to re-tune back to standard. that's caused many a stange look at band practise.
geoff_bell
Knight

Postby gemmill on Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:46 pm

edred wrote:I know its kinda remedial but, could someone spell out and label all the most popular open tunings? I would appreciate it a lot. Cheers :jam:

gemmill
Knight

Next

Return to Guitar Methods and Technique