Sound Control?

Dealing with Volume and tone solutions. Keeping a lid on the volume but still getting the tone and sound that is desirable. Many methods to make it real.

Sound Control?

Postby DreamTone7 on Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:27 pm

He who has his hand on the volume knob IS in control. :wink:
He that hath an ear, let him hear.
DreamTone7
Baron

Re: Sound Control?

Postby 52Boomer on Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:06 pm

I think this is about the problem that the guys that want to just plug straight in and play have. You can't do it any place you want. My first tube amp was a Fender Dual Showman Reverb Head, then a Marshall Major (thinking big) and I had these in my bedroom. :!:

I needed some distortion, so I bought a silver Fuzz Face that picked up radio stations, and I tried a Little Big Muff, and these things just didn't do it. I never thought of getting a little amp, so the quest began for the amp with the Master Volume. This wasn't about to happen. There weren't any Mesa Boogies to be had. Maybe if I had some other vintage fuzz or something I would have been happy, but these were the dark ages before Guitar Center and eBay. :shock:

Now the Master Volume amp is near perfection, and I have a few. I'm glad the search is over. :idea:
" Are you sure that you're not just imagining that ? "
52Boomer
Prince

Postby Sean Camp on Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:32 am

I still love my Power Soak. No, it is not the best solution but it was at the time almost (30 years ago now). I had just moved up from a low wattage Gibson to a silver face Twin Reverb w 15 inch JBL. It had a master volume that did not work. you could turn the preamps to ten and still have only a hint of 'drive' putting a Bucus Berry preamp in front helped. But then it sounded GREAT when turned up to about 7-10 on the master as well. THEN -- I saw an ad in Guitar Player for a device that could "make your small amp sing" and also allow you to "play small clubs with big gear" thus allowing me to pursue the amps my heroes used(in stead of the amps I should have used) and be able to use them in the small clubs I was playing at the time. Well, I bought one and to my untrained 16 year old ear it was perfection. I traded my Twin for a '63 Bassman plugged into the bass channel patched in the 'soak'and instant classic rock heaven at headphone volume. I used this :roll: TRANSFORMER KILLER on every amp over 15 watts that I ever owned and never had a problem. Yes, it does change the interactivity between the speaker and amp (thats not always a bad thing) but I learned how to adjust my settings. It is a great device for matching low (1-20)wattage speakers to high wattage amps. Imagine if you will a Plexi running full boar into a 1-12 cab with a 15 watt pre Rola to play your Tuesday night 3 piece blues band open mic night gig. OR how about a half stack with a separate head on each speaker in the cab.( if you have 4 soakes or maybe 3 :P ) it seems to me something similar is happening in the studio these days with single guitar tracks being played through as many as 8 separate amps. I must say that I usually do the former and always get complements on my tone from guitarists as well as 'normal' people. I'm sure items like The Ultimate Attenuator and THD are better but most cant afford multiples (you can't even switch the impedence on some of these fancy ones).
Power Soak- not the best solution but (still) better than a pedal.
SEAN CAMP Jan 2009
Love Ya, Buh-By.
Sean Camp
Page

Postby mrphotodude on Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:15 am

I was talking to some guy at a show in sacramento that was using a 50watt non master volume marshall with a tone tubby 4x12 and was using an odd attenuator...
It turns out the attenuator was made by a company called ultimate. It sounded fantastic, but is very expensive.
http://www.ultimateattenuator.com/
I dont know what kind of loading this device does though.

I dont really playout anymore, so i dont need to worry about stage volume. I kinda tune my amp how i need it and buildup the booth to work well for the session i will do and thats all i worry about.
Master volumes have different positions...all are not equal... its about experimenting!.
mrphotodude
Page

Location: San Diego/ Chicago /recordstores/ kiss concerts/ recyle places looking for tubes

Postby idm on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:27 am

I bought the Weber Mini Mass (50 watt). I did not test it yet (since my amp did not arrive yet :( ) But I'll post my results here in a couple of weeks. It's supposed to be very good for a very low price ($100). Read multiple times it's a lot better than a Hot Plate (which is $400).
idm
Court Jester

Postby riffpowers on Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:49 am

I just got a powerbrake for my jcm800. I've had 2 hotplates and not been impressed with them, but the powerbrake is great. Much more logical than the hotplate to setup and use, more attenuation, more transparent and less fizz than the hotplate too. No more harsh and fizzy low master volume marshall sounds for me!!
-----------------------------------
Marshall JCM800 2204
Marshall 1987X
Marshall 1960AX
Zilla 2x12
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson Les Paul Standard
riffpowers
Squire

Postby LReese on Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:49 pm

I've also been in a struggle with sound levels - A couple of solutions that have been acceptable so far:

1. Axe-FX - very pricy but very flexible.

2. Wet dry wet - Amp into a hotplate severely attenuated, use the line out into echo/reverb in stereo and a mix of the wet/dry coming through the wet cabs. Like this setup better than using the hotplate as a load.
LReese
Page

Postby parkhead on Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:28 am

I go into my Marshall and jumper the feedback resistor with another resistor so that the combined total feedback resistor is about 15k.

this clamps down the power amp like a plexi and reduces the overall volume.

like a plexi you have to drive the preamp harder to push the power amp & it provides a richer tone at lower volume

p
parkhead
Baron

Location: Rock & Roll isn't dead its just moved North of the Border

Postby Sean Camp on Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:25 am

parkhead, I asked this question about my 62' bassman. Have you tried no or almost no NFB?
Love Ya, Buh-By.
Sean Camp
Page

Return to Sound Control