Allman Brothers at Fillmore East CD

Safe haven for everything low-frequency. Bass players unite in this forum.

Allman Brothers at Fillmore East CD

Postby Happy Face on Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:46 pm

Hi all. Does anyone have an idea of what the bass and rig used at that performance? Sounds mighty fine, IMO...
Happy Face
Page

Postby 1953Vintage on Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:07 pm

Can't pinpoint that particular album (a real gem, by the way), but Berry's bass was an odd thing he sort of made himself: a Fender Jazz bass with a Guild (Starfire?) pickup in the neck position and two Jazz pickups close together in the bridge position. (I read somewhere it was nicknamed Tractor or The Tractor.)

I saw them in Michigan in the summer of 1972 and he was using Marshall amps with unidentifiable speaker cabinets. I've also read/heard he used Ampeg stuff at times.

FWIW!
Visit the Sound City Site!
1953Vintage
Baron

Postby Happy Face on Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:09 pm

Thanks. I've seen mentions of The Tractor bass but never had a clue of what it was.

I bet you are right. I kept thinking it did not sound like a P-bass or an EB-3 and it was prolly early for an Alembic. The Starfire pup would explain it. That's damn cool!!
Happy Face
Page

Postby bassplayerbell on Thu May 01, 2008 11:32 am

cant see it but looks like a bassman
bassplayerbell
Peasant

Re: Allman Brothers at Fillmore East CD

Postby grenadilla on Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:01 am

I saw Berry up close when they played at Jacksonville University in 1970. He used a thumb pick on his Jazz Bass. He had 2 Sunn heads and one Fender Dual Showman head. He had 3 Sunn 215 cabinets spread out with one cabinet over by Greg and Duane,one between the drum sets, and one behind him.
grenadilla
Peasant

Postby sunndemon on Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:20 pm

Here, check this out: http://www.blackstrat.net/Allman-Audubo ... udubon.htm
There was always some combination of Fender, Sunn, and Marshall. In these photos, you can see that he's got a little stack of Showman heads(stage left, off to the side where he's standing). Spread out all along the backline are Sunn Orion 2x15 cabs(with the stripe pattern grill cloth). This is kinda curious, as these cabs, while similar in size and configuration to Sunn's classic 2000s cab, had internal solid state power amps. The Orion "heads" were merely preamps, much like Acoustic 360 rigs. The Orion was Sunn's first foray into solid state amplification(circa '68-'68), and failed miserably. Perhaps Berry was able to pick up a bunch of those cabs discounted, and bypassed/removed the on-board amp? You can see Marshall heads on top of some of the Orions, I have no idea if those are additional bass amps or are used by Duane or Dickie. Behind Gregg can be seen a 120 watt Sunn 1200s or 1500s, the guitar equivalent of the 2000s, with four KT88 or 6550's, but it's unclear who was using that. Berry was also known to use a Fender PS400, the monster head that was Fullerton's answer to the SVT. Those debuted(I think)around '70/'71. The gear in these New Orleans photos pretty much matches up with the pix in the booklet of the 'Fillmore Concerts' CD boxset.
sunndemon
Page

Postby sunndemon on Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:20 pm

Here, check this out: http://www.blackstrat.net/Allman-Audubo ... udubon.htm
There was always some combination of Fender, Sunn, and Marshall. In these photos, you can see that he's got a little stack of Showman heads(stage left, off to the side where he's standing). Spread out all along the backline are Sunn Orion 2x15 cabs(with the stripe pattern grill cloth). This is kinda curious, as these cabs, while similar in size and configuration to Sunn's classic 2000s cab, had internal solid state power amps. The Orion "heads" were merely preamps, much like Acoustic 360 rigs. The Orion was Sunn's first foray into solid state amplification(circa '68-'68), and failed miserably. Perhaps Berry was able to pick up a bunch of those cabs discounted, and bypassed/removed the on-board amp? You can see Marshall heads on top of some of the Orions, I have no idea if those are additional bass amps or are used by Duane or Dickie. Behind Gregg can be seen a 120 watt Sunn 1200s or 1500s, the guitar equivalent of the 2000s, with four KT88 or 6550's, but it's unclear who was using that. Berry was also known to use a Fender PS400, the monster head that was Fullerton's answer to the SVT. Those debuted(I think)around '70/'71. The gear in these New Orleans photos pretty much matches up with the pix in the booklet of the 'Fillmore Concerts' CD boxset.
sunndemon
Page

Return to Bass Talk