are bassplayers not interested in vintage gear?

Safe haven for everything low-frequency. Bass players unite in this forum.

are bassplayers not interested in vintage gear?

Postby sparki73 on Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:02 am

hi,
as primary being a bass player i ask myself and of cause you guys here, if the bass player is less interested in vintage gear than the guitarists?

if bass bassplayers nowadays play old stuff it´s mostly the svt. almost nobody plays old marshalls, fenders, oranges... or at least they don´t discuss about that...
what do you think is the reason?

markus
sparki73
Certified

Postby chupy on Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:52 am

I play guitar and bass, not really interested in vintage guitar's, if one has the knowledge and tool's you can build a clone. Plus everyone is making reproductions off all the electronics too. Way cheaper to go that route then to spend thousands of dollars on a guitar that’s going to get abused and maybe stolen.

Now for vintage amps, some are still reasonable and I still buy vintage amps. My primary amp for bass right now is my BF Bandmaster with a 2x12 + 412 cab's. 8)
chupy

Postby chupy on Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:15 pm

I was talking to a fellow bassist about 2 weeks ago, and he said the reason he doesn't go with vintage amps, is because they cost too much to re-tube, and their not loud enough. :? Ok, I can understand re-tubing a amp can get costly, especially if it's running 6550's. But i've always been able to get loud enough or too loud with a tube amp for bass. Knock on wood, but I rarely have to re-tube my amps. Heck i'll have a pre amp tube go microphonic on me before I have to re-tube. :shock:

Personally I think the reason why is because they like the "tone" of solid state. :? I don't understand that.
chupy

Postby brycebites on Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:28 pm

Until recently I had a Sound City 120. It was loud enough until the keyboardist finally managed to sort his Leslie out to give it's full potnetial (about 400watts IIRC :shock: ) and guitarist got himself a Peavey XXX head.

I'll still have the valves by way of a DHA VTX but it will also have the ability of 400watts from it's completely flat SS power amp. There is also a power valve to give the sound power valve we all love. It should be with me very soon.
brycebites
Certified

Postby gypsy moth on Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:00 pm

most bass players try to avoid distortion - and in vintage land that means a big heavy head and lots of (beat to death) speakers, in a not terribly well designed box.
less tradition/b&w photo conscious too. JE, JB etc didn't stick with their early amps or basses.
http://www.myspace.com/gmothmusic

2002 live from the globe of death, 2004 a collection of favorite spanish love songs, 2007 the tomb of the deaf, 2009 killing it in a bad way
gypsy moth
King

Postby sparki73 on Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:46 pm

gypsy moth wrote:most bass players try to avoid distortion - and in vintage land that means a big heavy head and lots of (beat to death) speakers, in a not terribly well designed box.
less tradition/b&w photo conscious too. JE, JB etc didn't stick with their early amps or basses.

thats probably the point. most bassplayers don´t like distortion and need lots of clean headroom... hmmmm... the oposite with me, i´m obviously still more a guitarist. :roll:

to me most modern bass-equipment sounds sterile...

who are "JE" and "JB"?
sparki73
Certified

Postby brycebites on Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:10 pm

I'm not a huge fan of bass distortion, although it does have it's place. But when you're talking valve overdrive you're talking my language. If a bass sound is clean it usually does nothing for me.
brycebites
Certified

Postby chupy on Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:16 pm

brycebites wrote:I'm not a huge fan of bass distortion, although it does have it's place. But when you're talking valve overdrive you're talking my language. If a bass sound is clean it usually does nothing for me.

For bass I like a little "grit" or "balls" but not too much, nor do I like a sterile sound either.
chupy

Postby gypsy moth on Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:22 pm

I'm glad I didn't reference Rockette Morton :lol:

my most overdriven/distorted bass stuff was done with my old vox SS amps. I am certainly not in the "most bass players" category :oops:
http://www.myspace.com/gmothmusic

2002 live from the globe of death, 2004 a collection of favorite spanish love songs, 2007 the tomb of the deaf, 2009 killing it in a bad way
gypsy moth
King

Postby swid on Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:46 am

My ACC 220 sounds badass overdriven, and most people are shocked when I tell them it's solid state. I use a super bass clone I built, too, and I love that, but there's something about the attack of the ACC that I love. Comparing it to the super bass, it's like a hard "G" sound as opposed to a "B" sound, vocally. . . I know, technical talk, heh.
swid
Page

Postby ozsubrosa on Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:05 pm

I'm very into old valve amplification for bass; in fact, I don't own any SS amp. HST, I might just have to get one. The piezo saddles on my Jazz don't sound particularly acousticky through a valve amp.

My first, and still favourite, bass amp is a CMI 100W Lead/Bass - a rebadged Marshall Superlead/bass. Quite a few people have said "you might want to replace the EL34s with 6550s" but it's certainly loud enough for pub-gigs and I like that little bit of grit. I have EL84 WEM combos for light rehearsal, 6V6 heads (clones of Champ and Deluxe) and recently got an Ampeg B25.

The only thing I'm not keen on are "vintage" speakers. Great for guitar (I have really old Goodmans 12"ers) but I always find those old 15" cabs flabby on bass. I use modern, alloy things and (apart from the welcome light weight) they're taut and punchy; a nice combination with the valve head.

Oz
"Have bass, will valve"
ozsubrosa
Baron

Postby chupy on Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:13 pm

ozsubrosa wrote:The only thing I'm not keen on are "vintage" speakers. Great for guitar (I have really old Goodmans 12"ers) but I always find those old 15" cabs flabby on bass. I use modern, alloy things and (apart from the welcome light weight) they're taut and punchy; a nice combination with the valve head.

Oz

Ya got to agree with ya there, love vintage amps for bass and guitar, but vintage speakers wont hold up for bass, too damn freaken farty. Although I guess you could call the old EVM12L and the ceramic EV SRO'S, vintage. To me I still call em used. And work good for bass. Put 4 of em in a 4x12 with a Super Lead. kringle almighty!! :shock: :lol: 8)
chupy

Postby Pacafeliz on Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:26 pm

...i think it's cuz bass players don't care (or have no ear) for good tone! :twisted:
(runs for cover) :lol:

Pat.
oaklandanny too wrote:Pat...
This is way late in posting... but I want to say that she's beautiful, man!!! You are blessed and the world will be a better place because of your little girl. Mark my words... She will live in a better world than we live in now... because she will help change it. God bless!!!!

RIP OaklandDanny, thanks for EVERYTHING! God bless you, always!
Pacafeliz
King

Postby chupy on Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:36 pm

Pacafeliz wrote:...i think it's cuz bass players don't care (or have no ear) for good tone! :twisted:
(runs for cover) :lol:

Pat.

That is true, allot of them don't. Plus their a bunch of lazy ass slackers saying "oh this ways too much, i think i'll get something lighter" or "this hurts my back, doe's this look good with my pink tutu?" :twisted:
chupy

Postby chupy on Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:37 pm

I can't spell there needs to be a EDIT button here!!! :!: :!:
chupy

Next

Return to Bass Talk