Here's some stuff to break your speakers in with....

That elusive piece of the overall equation, so many options and so little time to test them all — Celestion, Fane, Eminence, Jensen, JbL, Utah, Ceramic, Alnico, 1x12, 2x12, 4x12, 2x10, 4x10, 1x15, 2x15, 4x15, 1x18 and I'm sure there are even more!

Postby ShaneV on Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:12 am

Here's something I've always wondered: Is a specific volume needed to break in speakers, or will a lot of low volume stuff do it just as well as a little bit of high volume stuff?

I don't have many opportunities to crank loud music through a new cab, but I could play soft music all day and all night without anyone minding.
ShaneV
Page

Postby ¤klÿn¡§§¤ on Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:29 am

ShaneV wrote:Here's something I've always wondered: Is a specific volume needed to break in speakers, or will a lot of low volume stuff do it just as well as a little bit of high volume stuff?

I don't have many opportunities to crank loud music through a new cab, but I could play soft music all day and all night without anyone minding.

I will say you should be careful with new speakers... the same as you should be with speakers that have been sitting a while.

Lower volume but with lots of lowmid/bass would be fine and higher volume with less bass as well.

You just dont wanna hammer it too much right off the bat. Give it an hour or two to work in a bit , then kill it :lol:
¤klÿn¡§§¤
Dances With Valves

Postby keef on Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:12 am

Terrific - a sticky thread with links that don't work. :evil:
keef
Page

Postby ¤klÿn¡§§¤ on Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:54 pm

keef wrote:Terrific - a sticky thread with links that don't work. :evil:

calm down pard.

i said in a previous post that if you need them, and something isnt working, just message me.

i moved recently and switched FTP, changed this, rebooted that... so some got lost in the shuffle.

i'll get on it.
¤klÿn¡§§¤
Dances With Valves

Postby Jezzo on Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:33 pm

Just bought a new ac30ccx with Celestion Blues in it. Comparing it directly with a 70s TB REV the combo sounds a bit muddy. Could this be due to brand new speakers? How should I expect them to change sonically with use?

TIA!
1961 Gretsch Duojet, 1970 Gretsch Country Gent, Bigsby Telecaster, Vox AC30ccx
Jezzo
Peasant

Postby igneous on Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:10 pm

EADGBE wrote:I think speakers should be broken in slowly while playing. I think they'll sound better that way.

Nice pick brutha!!!!
igneous
Knight

Postby psychodave on Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:37 pm

Just curious.... what do you use as a power amp? All of my speakers are 16 ohms and I dont think my stereo can handle 16 ohms. I was thinking about trying this with one of my 4x12 loaded with 75's and leaving it on all day with a loop of all the tracks posted here. I dont use the cab much so the speakers are still a little stiff compared to my other cab with 75's, which sounds killer.
I have a lot of stuff!
psychodave
Baron

Postby hipfan on Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:15 pm

psychodave wrote:Just curious.... what do you use as a power amp? All of my speakers are 16 ohms and I dont think my stereo can handle 16 ohms. I was thinking about trying this with one of my 4x12 loaded with 75's and leaving it on all day with a loop of all the tracks posted here. I dont use the cab much so the speakers are still a little stiff compared to my other cab with 75's, which sounds killer.

When I use music to break in speakers, I use my band's PA and leave a CD running in a loop for as many hours as it takes. The old Peavey PA apparently likes seeing an 8 ohm load or less, so I make sure to wire up whatever speakers I'm breaking for 4 ohm or 8 ohm. I never do this for a single 16 ohmer. Don't want to blow up my band's PA. A couple of my mates are already a little cranky as it is. 8)

If I were you, I'd get a couple extra wires and wire up your 4x12 for 4 ohms (all speakers in parallel) and let'er rip!
Isn't it amazing we can do anything?
hipfan
Certified

How do I break in my speakers?

Postby zoranrataj2000 on Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:18 pm

From Celestion web sites!

Important Note! Before breaking it in it's advisable to "warm up" the speaker gently for a few minutes with low-level playing or background hum.

Break in a speaker with a fat, clean tone: turn up the power amp volume to full, and control the level with the preamp gain. Use a level that will be quite loud, but not painful in a normal size room.

Have the bass and mid up full, and the treble at least half. On your guitar, use the middle pick up position (if your guitar has more than one pick up) and play for 10-15 minutes using lots of open chords, and chunky percussive playing. This will get the cone moving, and should excite all the cone modes and get everything to settle in nicely. The speaker will continue to mature over the years, but this will get it 95% of the way to tonal perfection in the shortest time.
zoranrataj2000
Peasant

Re: How do I break in my speakers?

Postby AC50 on Sat May 05, 2007 4:27 am

zoranrataj2000 wrote:From Celestion web sites!

Important Note! Before breaking it in it's advisable to "warm up" the speaker gently for a few minutes with low-level playing or background hum.

Break in a speaker with a fat, clean tone: turn up the power amp volume to full, and control the level with the preamp gain. Use a level that will be quite loud, but not painful in a normal size room.

Have the bass and mid up full, and the treble at least half. On your guitar, use the middle pick up position (if your guitar has more than one pick up) and play for 10-15 minutes using lots of open chords, and chunky percussive playing. This will get the cone moving, and should excite all the cone modes and get everything to settle in nicely. The speaker will continue to mature over the years, but this will get it 95% of the way to tonal perfection in the shortest time.

I got news for the Celestion website. It took me considerably longer than 15 minutes to get my Celestion Blues 95% broken in.
AC50
Emperor

Postby Pink Panther on Thu May 31, 2007 12:31 pm

Baron Von Machinenmann wrote:
since they've gone to all that trouble to record lossless, high quality tracks, & use all that crazy high fidelity gear, wouldn't it make more sense to post these in a lossless compression like FLAC, instead of mp3?

FLAC = Free Lossless Audio Codec

Its like he's trying to communicate, I totally think he's trying to tell us something!.....

Eeep Opp Ork, Ah-Ah :P

:lol:
Pink Panther
Knight

Postby ¤klÿn¡§§¤ on Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:13 am

THE BEST WAY TO BREAK IN YOUR NEW SPEAKER(S) IS TO STOMP ON THEM WITH YOUR FOOT - CONE FACING UP. :D

My sincere apologies for letting this thread slide for so long. I have finally found the disc i got these clips from and will be refreshing the links within the next few days.

Moving 4 times in a year and a half, buying your first house, getting engaged, ...headspinners!

In the meantime, get jammin! Thats the best and funnest way to get those new drivers behaving properly :wink:
¤klÿn¡§§¤
Dances With Valves

Postby ¤klÿn¡§§¤ on Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:45 pm

Links are now active save for the 1Khz tone. The track must be damaged on my disc 'cause it wont play anymore.

I have some other things i'm working on and will set that up over the next bit and then link here.

Tied Up by Yello is really a kickin tune. Crystal clear highs right down to rock solid lows...listen to that one on your best system and turn it up- wow!
¤klÿn¡§§¤
Dances With Valves

From the Eminence website...

Postby xsubs on Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:02 pm

How do I break-in or age my speaker?

Speaker break-in will vary from model to model. It can even vary between two of the same model. The degree to which a speaker has reached break-in is a very subjective topic. Some players like them right out of the box and others want to beat them to within an inch of their lives. Most players hopefully fall somewhere in-between. There really is no "magic" inherent in speaker break-in methods. The speaker will continue to break-in naturally throughout its lifespan, but the most noticeable amount will occur early on. Some of the most widely used techniques for break-in include: Playing music through the speaker at moderate volumes for a few days (some players even have specific songs they use), Using a Variac, Hanging the speaker with the cone facing downward to promote suspension sag, and Physically moving the cone up and down. We often use a noise signal generator at 20Hz with enough current to get the speaker moving smartly for a few hours, but without abusing it. Guitar speakers are generally not accustomed to very low frequencies and it is easy to harm them if you are not careful. The most highly recommended and safest way is several hours of higher volume playing.
xsubs
Court Jester

Postby Vortexion on Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:37 pm

Thanks to the OP for providing the sine wave sample (even if you did rip it off a commercial test CD, I think you'll get away with it - no-one can copyright a sine wave as far as I'm aware :wink:).

However, anyone thinking of using the pink noise sample to do laboratory measurement of frequency response etc should note the following: any form of lossy compression, such as mp3, destroys the spectral integrity of random white/pink/brown noise, making it useless for such tests.

If freshly-generated noise cannot be obtained, then recorded noise should be in a lossless format such as WAV or AIFF, and the tracks should be of as long a duration as possible: at least as long as it will take you to actually perform the measurement. Looping a short-duration noise sample will not do - it won't constitute random noise.
Vortexion
Newt

PreviousNext

Return to Speakers and Cabinets