Thin Lizzy -- Jailbreak

The greatest names in guitar, the sounds that we all want and have chased for years. This is the central location for decoding the elusive signature sounds.

Postby Mats A on Mon May 14, 2007 4:04 pm

Hi there
Scott used a MXR p100 phaser and Colorsound overdriver. You see it if you watch the Live and dangerous Video (also available on Dvd now). In earlier years he used an MXR P90 phaser. He used an Echoeplex on the Sidney gig. He also used a Cry baby wah wah in early years. Brian Robbo Robertson used two WEM Copicat echoes and a Colorsound wah wah. He also used a phaser (probably an MXR P90) up until around ´76.
I think he got his tone on Live and dangerous by having his wah wah on all the time and used it as a tone control. Does anybody know this for a fact??
Also does anybody know if Scott got his very ballsy sounding tone on Live And Dangerous by using his phaser or was it a flanger of some sort hidden somewhere??
Mats
Mats A
Page

Postby goddardo on Fri May 18, 2007 2:05 pm

First time I saw Lizzy, Robbo was playing a White Flying V with, I think,
one single bridge pickup while holding a bottle of Jack Daniels in his right hand. How daft is that :roll:
goddardo
Squire

Postby Mats A on Tue May 22, 2007 7:05 am

That most have been a borrowed one, or odd night. Because i´ve never seen or heard of Robbo having or playing a flying V. You´re sure it wasn´t Michael Schenker:-)
Mats A
Page

Postby goddardo on Tue May 22, 2007 3:44 pm

No it was Robbo.
I was a Schenker fan so I'd have known.
It was very early days with Robbo & he looked very young & very pi$$ed
Had a great sound though.
goddardo
Squire

Postby yngwie308 on Tue May 22, 2007 5:27 pm

Robbo was fueled,by self admission,on whiskey and speed,so put this with a pissed off Scotsman seeking his big chance attitude,and you have the early Robbo,he wasted so much of his potential.
The highlight for me was the Live and Dangerous video.
yngwie308
yngwie308
Page

Postby Mats A on Fri May 25, 2007 8:46 pm

Do you remember what year it was?
Mats
Mats A
Page

Postby BURN on Mon May 28, 2007 7:11 am

Right now as I got home I'm listening to Romeo and The Lonely Girl...that has to be Scott. What a brilliant solo. I've always thought so since I was a kid. Just great :D
BURN
Squire

Postby Mats A on Mon May 28, 2007 2:15 pm

Yep, that is Scott playing the solo on that one.
I must admit I haven´t seen Scott playing a white Custom except for on a video or so. In fact I think I´ve seen him with a natural Custom on video. After the Deluxe I´ve only seen him with the most likely a 58 Gold top repainted to a burst. That one he got in I think mid 1978.
Does anybody know If Scott used a phaser or a flanger to get the big fat sound on the Live and dangerous album?
And did Brian Robertson have his wah wah on all the time leaving It in a certain position like a tone control to get his sound on Live and dangerous?
They sure was a great band!
Mats
Mats A
Page

Postby Friedmett on Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:21 pm

Here is a picture of the front end of the amp.

I need to have a look at the speakers as its been a long while I used the amp to see what 25 watts they actualy are.

Friedmett
Certified

Postby Friedmett on Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:31 pm

roef wrote:are the speakers G12M or G12Hs?

I went and had a look.

G12M Rola 25 watts greenbacks dated 1978. The amp could be used in the Sydney DVD.
Friedmett
Certified

Postby R.Peggio on Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:02 pm

so its they were using a LP deluxe, or custom, or 50s conversion, or standard , or strat perhaps without any fx or maybe some into 1959 non master heads , or vox, or line 6 15 watt spider , or crate blue voodoo 2 x12 combo and with pants that were too, small, or too tight or perhaps the wrong color and it was all done with permed hair, or hair with hair spray or a comb over concealing a bald patch underneath.

Typical answer on a guitarists forum about a specific issue.......LOL

RP
R.Peggio
Certified

Postby roef on Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:15 am

Friedmett wrote:
roef wrote:are the speakers G12M or G12Hs?

I went and had a look.

G12M Rola 25 watts greenbacks dated 1978. The amp could be used in the Sydney DVD.

thanks!
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Tokai LS320 & SG155 Gretsch 6131MY Warmoth Esq Gibson ES335 Squire Strat Ceriatone Express Metro JTM45 Clark Piedmont (6G6B) & Rockford Rev. Li'l Dawg Champster Alessandro Rottweiler Bogner OS2x12 (blue&G12H) Mojo 2x12 (blue&silverbell), 2x10" (10A150&California), 4x12 (Scumbag H75s), 1x12 (M75) & 2x10 (SA10M75)
roef
Squire

Postby Friedmett on Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:14 pm

UPDATE !

At the moment I got contact to a guy from Marshall who will try to fill me in on the details of my combo.

Several pictures have been taken and it might be that it's a type 2104 as the tag on board says mastervolume version. That means not a factory custom order but standard. Date 20/11 '78 so after Sydney and Rainbow footage.

The effects loop is the question here. It might be that the 2 extra holes were done for the effects loop. I'm waiting for an answer at the moment.

The amp has TONE! Thin Lizzy? Yes in spades and several other hard rock/blues clean vintage Marshall tone you are looking for. The Marshall guy is contacting that Phil guy who might have installed the effect loop and Scott Gorham as he has a contact to him.
Friedmett
Certified

Postby Friedmett on Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:27 am

It's a 2104 model with 2 inputs when it was new. The effects loop is done later and not by Marshall but needly done. The amp is 100% stock otherwise.

It was used by all members of Thin Lizzy. Marshall has no notes on Thin Lizzy's Marshall needs or any other groups in their archive. That kind of info never seemed to be important 20-30 years later.
Friedmett
Certified

Postby Emiel_J on Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:26 pm

Hi,

I'm a big Thin Lizzy/Scott Gorham fan and I thought I'd share some of the info I found about him.

He used a Gibson Les Paul Deluxe with minihumbuckers. He smoothened the sound with a MXR Phase 90 (early years), later it got replaced by the Phase 100 (a more subtle phaser, he used this one heavily at Live & Dangerous, when Robbo got replaced by Moore, Scott used the MXR Phase 100 less and less but you can still see it at his pedalboard. Listen to Sydney or live videos of Thin Lizzy in 1980-1982 (with Snowy White) when he removed the Phase 100 from his board. Really agressive and spikey sound. The phaser really make his sound a lot smoother... The second pedal he used a lot is the Colorsound Overdriver for the big guitarsolo's. I've seen video's and pictures from 1975 (Live at Derby) till 1979 (Sydney) where you can spot the Overdriver clearly.

I have a '57 reissue Goldtop Les Paul and a Marshall JMP 2203. I tried my friends Colorsound Overdriver with this set and really nailed the sound of Gorham... not the playing of course. The Colorsound Overdriver is a great pedal, used extensively by David Gilmour of Pink Floyd (from 1972 till 1983) and Jeff Beck. My guitarteacher has an original script MXR Phase 100, I'll try if I can borrow it for a test...:)
Emiel_J
Court Jester

PreviousNext

Return to Signature Tones