Thin Lizzy -- Jailbreak

The greatest names in guitar, the sounds that we all want and have chased for years. This is the central location for decoding the elusive signature sounds.

Re: Thin Lizzy -- Jailbreak

Postby jfhudak on Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:35 pm

1959burst wrote:scott is not using an ordinary les paul!!!! he is using a 50's conversion les paul with paf's!!!!!!

Loosen the bone, Wilma. :roll:
"Es gibt nichts, was es nicht gibt."
jfhudak
Knight

Postby Scott McAllister on Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:18 am

jfhudak wrote:Loosen the bone, Wilma. :roll:

:lol:
Scott
Scott McAllister
Page

Postby worldoftone on Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:05 am

i'm anal about the facts when it comes to gear.

That would make it a '59 Melody Maker then, right?

- WOT
The Ayatollah of uh-rock-and-uh-rollahhhhhh

worldoftone
Prince

Postby 1959burst on Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:18 am

jfhudak wrote:
1959burst wrote:scott is not using an ordinary les paul!!!! he is using a 50's conversion les paul with paf's!!!!!!

Loosen the bone, Wilma. :roll:
how would you like a size 12 betty? :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Musican/Luthier/Stringed Instrument Repairman/Resident Instigator http://www.myspace.com/greg1959burstwilson http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=604305709
1959burst
King

Postby Jailbreak on Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:20 pm

Now now guys. :)

Here's the facts:

Cowboy Song (Jailbreak Album Version) - Scott takes the first solo, Brian the second. At that time they were both using Les Paul Deluxes as their main guitar, but as to what was actually used on the recording who knows.

Oh, and Scott didn't get the 50s LesPaul till 1978.

All the best
"Is there anybody with any Irish in them?"
Jailbreak
Peasant

Postby master keeper on Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:58 am

Thanks for the info, Scott! 8)
master keeper
Prince

Postby tommie on Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:50 pm

Jailbreak wrote:Now now guys. :)

Here's the facts:

Cowboy Song (Jailbreak Album Version) - Scott takes the first solo, Brian the second. At that time they were both using Les Paul Deluxes as their main guitar, but as to what was actually used on the recording who knows.

Oh, and Scott didn't get the 50s LesPaul till 1978.

All the best

Haha, I knew you'd step in and give the gospel JB...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
tommie
Baron

Postby npminard on Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:18 pm

This thread inspired me to listen to the Jailbreak album. I love that little 'wah' riff in the intro of Jailbreak.
npminard
Squire

Postby Cussion on Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:25 pm

Amazing LP/Marshall tone there! especially the first solo by Scott.

I've been told that they used Colorsound Overdriver pedals.. when was that?
- Set the controls for the heart of the sun -
Cussion
Certified

Postby master keeper on Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:36 am

IIRC it was robertson using a colorsound wha. It's got a very long sweep which is kinda his signature style of playing. You here it all the time on the live and dangerous album!
master keeper
Prince

Postby Friedmett on Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:57 am

Right a Thin Lizzy thread.

Well I have one of the combo's actually used buy them.

I bought it in London in the summer 2000. I was in the shop the day after asking when they are going to ship the amp to Denmark.

The Thin Lizzy one?? So I got into them to see what they were about.

The Marshall is a very rare 2187 with 4 inputs and factory master volume. It's 50 watt and speakers dates it to 1978. So it could be in the Sydney dvd.
The speakers are stock 25watt celestions and still sounds good. I was told it was used backstage but since it's very versatile I can picture studio and live use as well.
The info I have found is that Scott Gorham used 5 Marshall combo's and as a 2187 does not come with mastervolume it's a very rare model indeed.

The book of Marshalls has the 2187 to be the one as the others don't really fit. The amp is a 1987 in a combo format but wit factory master.

It has an effects loop in 2 of the inputs done. I don't why and when. There is High and low gain Inputs.
Low is clean and High is drive. I have not plugged a Les Paul through the high level yet although the Lizzy tone is there just going straight and a Les Paul would sound right for the job.

Tolex is ripped and it generally looks like it has been used alot.

It's a very versatile Marshall. Slim, Lightweight, sound is killer basically and with the mastervolume it can do all sorts of gigs etc.

Just got new tubes in it. My favorite Marshall and hard to find another that can do the same.
I have used it on gigs instead of the Major. I'm never worried about the sound cause it's always good.
Friedmett
Certified

Postby ragtweed on Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:30 pm

I saw the lads back around '77 at the Palladium in NYC. I always liked the six string interaction of the Gorham/Robertson guitar combo. All those harmonized dual guitar solos and the funky wah-wah leads were just great 70's rock & roll. I was in a cover band back then (high school) and we played Jailbreak and the Boys are Back. We did a fairly tight version of Jailbreak as I recall, but the Boys are Back presented some challenges that were somewhat out of our league.
I got my mojo workin'
ragtweed
Squire

Postby norm rifles on Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:17 pm

This old thread has pretty much answered a question I asked over on the off topic forum...so thanks!

There is heaps of old Thin Lizzy performances on youtube at the moment...well worth a trawl through as there are some great moments....

cheers

norm
norm rifles
Page

Postby roef on Wed May 02, 2007 1:29 pm

are the speakers G12M or G12Hs?
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Tokai LS320 & SG155 Gretsch 6131MY Warmoth Esq Gibson ES335 Squire Strat Ceriatone Express Metro JTM45 Clark Piedmont (6G6B) & Rockford Rev. Li'l Dawg Champster Alessandro Rottweiler Bogner OS2x12 (blue&G12H) Mojo 2x12 (blue&silverbell), 2x10" (10A150&California), 4x12 (Scumbag H75s), 1x12 (M75) & 2x10 (SA10M75)
roef
Squire

Postby jrr on Fri May 04, 2007 5:35 pm

I saw Lizzy way back when they were opening up for Queen('77?)....they were playing thru stacks then and scott had his deluxe with the minibuckers.I have a guiter player article from '79.It was a Scott Gorham interview.In it he talks about makeing the change from stacks to daisy-chaining 50 watt Marshall combo's based on his observation of how Brian May was daisy-chaining his vox comb's,and what a great sound it was.
In the same article,he talks about acquiring the Custom(white,if memory serves correctly)"sweet singing sound" after it had a refret.Paf's,i believe(greg is correct)...the first album the "sound" of scotts custom appeared on was the album with the all black cover(darned if i can remember the name)but the transition of the sound of scotts guitar is unmistakeable and all over the cuts on that album,sweet singing vibrato,a fine PAF sound.
I'm a fan too,and have covered their tunes a few times over the years...what a great band,and a smashing song catalog! 8)
jrr
Knight

PreviousNext

Return to Signature Tones