Thin Lizzy -- Jailbreak

The greatest names in guitar, the sounds that we all want and have chased for years. This is the central location for decoding the elusive signature sounds.

Thin Lizzy -- Jailbreak

Postby skeletron on Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:23 pm

I've always dug Thin Lizzy. However, I've always wondered which guitarists are which. One has a really biting, bright tone (first solo on Cowboy Song). The other has a bit of a smoother tone, with less highs (second solo on Cowboy Song).

It could just be which pickup they are using. But who is who?
Also, while I'm making a fool of myself, not knowing which Thin Lizzy guitarist is which, I might as well see if the brains in this place can give me some gear info to dig on.

RIP Phil.
skeletron
Squire

Postby Noel on Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:38 pm

The Thin Lizzy boys (Gorham, Robertson, and later Gary Moore) typically used a combination of a Marshall Stack and a couple of Marshall 2x12 combos. The combos had some kind of speaker with a metal done (JBL???).
"Cowboy Song" 1st solo Robo (Brian Robertson); 2nd solo: Scotty Gorham.
I think Robo is playing an LP Deluxe on that.
1976 Ibanez Destroyer with routed Floyd Rose
2009 Carvin CS6C (Floyd Rose)
1974 Gibson LP Special 55
1987 Laney Pro Tube 30 Wt Head
1986 Keith Reinneger Reinowatt 50 (hot rodded 2204 Circuit)
1974 Orange 4x12 with 2 Weber Silver Bells and 2 Weber-reconed H30 55hz
Noel
Knight

Postby 1959burst on Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:51 pm

Noel wrote:The Thin Lizzy boys (Gorham, Robertson, and later Gary Moore) typically used a combination of a Marshall Stack and a couple of Marshall 2x12 combos. The combos had some kind of speaker with a metal done (JBL???).
"I think Robo is playing an LP Deluxe on that.
nope lp custom
Musican/Luthier/Stringed Instrument Repairman/Resident Instigator http://www.myspace.com/greg1959burstwilson http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=604305709
1959burst
King

Postby jfhudak on Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:09 pm

Yeah, if I am not mistaken, Robbo was a Marshall stack and a Les Paul Custom. Scott Gorham played through the Marshall combos with a Les Paul Deluxe. The smoother tone is due to the weaker output mini humbuckers.

I have a VHS of some of their live stuff at home, and Gorham's tone is noticeably smoother than Robbo's.
"Es gibt nichts, was es nicht gibt."
jfhudak
Knight

Postby skeletron on Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:15 am

Santa,

I hope you are reading this, because it is added to my list:

Les Paul Deluxe
Les Paul Custom
'70s Marshall Stack
skeletron
Squire

Postby Sorbz62 on Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:06 pm

The basic elements of Thin Lizzy have always been the 4 piece bass/vox, 2 x LP into Marshall Amps panned hard left and right.

Brian Robertson more often than not used a wah pedal to colour his tone whilst Scott Gorham went straight into the amp.

Brian used a LP Custom and Scott a LP Deluxe. All amps were 1959 Tops into Marshall 4X12 cabs.

Gary Moore is most prominent on the Black Rose Album with a faster, more fluid tone and a more technically proficient player. It is said that he had to spend a long time teaching Scott how to play the fast Irish Jig part of Black Rose because he (Scott) wanted to double track it with Gary.

Gary used a variety of guitars but most probably used his LP Goldtop and Deluxe on Black Rose. He has also been seen with a Natural (could have been old cherry) LP Junior/ Special which he used on the live Sydney video.

John Sykes was also a very proficient player, basing his style on Gary Moore (among others) and used a black LP Custom into Marshall 50W Tops into vintage cabs.

I hope this helps and Thin Lizzy were one of my favourite bands when I was learning the axe with their awesome sound and traditional arrangements.

Cheers,
Jim
Sorbz62
Peasant

Postby master keeper on Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:35 pm

Sorbz62 wrote:Gary Moore is most prominent on the Black Rose Album with a faster, more fluid tone and a more technically proficient player. It is said that he had to spend a long time teaching Scott how to play the fast Irish Jig part of Black Rose because he (Scott) wanted to double track it with Gary.

Gary used a variety of guitars but most probably used his LP Goldtop and Deluxe on Black Rose. He has also been seen with a Natural (could have been old cherry) LP Junior/ Special which he used on the live Sydney video.

I wonder if he didn't use a strat for the jig part, that's what it sounds like to me...
master keeper
Prince

Postby Mr. Arkadin on Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:27 pm

Actually in a GP interview Gary claimed to have played all the parts on "Black Rose". He said that he did not show the parts to Gorham because it was pretty complex and he had "enough trouble keeping it together myself".

Robertson used a LP Custom, but that was later on. In the early days he and Scott both used Deluxes up to around 77/78. Robertson has stated this in a VG interview. He claims the band (managment?) bought the Deluxe for him when he joined.

Robertson also said he used WEM Copycat echoes, and Colorsound wahs and phase shifters.

Gorham (who was also profiled in VG) stated that he used a phaser here and there, but doesn't state any brand names or models.
Mr. Arkadin
He of the over-sized avatar

Re: Thin Lizzy -- Jailbreak

Postby disturber on Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:37 am

I watched the Live In Sydney DVD
this weekend and you can see
that both Gary Moore and Scott Gorham
has one, or two stacks of Marshall's each, (my memory slips
and it was two days ago I saw it. How is that for alzheimers!).

They also have one 2x12 combo each.
I think these are 2104's.

Scott is using an LP with ordinary humbuckers
on this gig. Gary is using what I think is the Peter
Green Les Paul and a melodymaker with a
humbucker put in. He is also using a pair
of trousers that are too small and too short,
but I don't think it affected his tone much,
maybe they gave him a higher pitched voice.

I read somewhere that when Scott, who
recorded almost all guitars on the Bad Reputation
album himself, used a bunch of 2104 combos
for the recordings. Could be that the open back
gives him a smother tone as well as the mini hums?
disturber
Court Jester

Postby Cussion on Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:44 pm

I've always thought Gorham played the first solo on "Cowboy Song" (LP Deluxe with Mini-humbuckers.. bright tone with more cutting edge, and less distortion) while Robertson played the second solo (LP Custom with humbuckers and wah-wah in fixed middle-position.. A very fat and midrangey tone, quite similar to Mick Ronson).
- Set the controls for the heart of the sun -
Cussion
Certified

Postby jfhudak on Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:05 pm

Cussion wrote:I've always thought Gorham played the first solo on "Cowboy Song" (LP Deluxe with Mini-humbuckers.. bright tone with more cutting edge, and less distortion) while Robertson played the second solo (LP Custom with humbuckers and wah-wah in fixed middle-position.. A very fat and midrangey tone, quite similar to Mick Ronson).

Nope. That smooth tone is Gorham with his minis. I've never heard anyone get such a nice, smooth sound out of those guitars as he did. Really an amazing player!!

Didn't Gorham tour with Asia at one point?
"Es gibt nichts, was es nicht gibt."
jfhudak
Knight

Postby 1959burst on Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:43 pm

Sorbz62 wrote:Gary used a variety of guitars but most probably used his LP Goldtop and Deluxe on Black Rose. He has also been seen with a Natural (could have been old cherry) LP Junior/ Special which he used on the live Sydney video.

Cheers,
Jim
gary used a melody maker with a gibson paf replacing the bridge pickup and it is a sunburst...in the live at the opera house in australia.........moore used his peter green 59 burst with lizzy also.
Musican/Luthier/Stringed Instrument Repairman/Resident Instigator http://www.myspace.com/greg1959burstwilson http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=604305709
1959burst
King

Postby 1959burst on Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:44 pm

disturber wrote:I watched the Live In Sydney DVD
this weekend and you can see
that both Gary Moore and Scott Gorham
has one, or two stacks of Marshall's each, (my memory slips
and it was two days ago I saw it. How is that for alzheimers!).

They also have one 2x12 combo each.
I think these are 2104's.

Scott is using an LP with ordinary humbuckers
on this gig. Gary is using what I think is the Peter
Green Les Paul and a melodymaker with a
humbucker put in. He is also using a pair
of trousers that are too small and too short,
but I don't think it affected his tone much,
maybe they gave him a higher pitched voice.

I read somewhere that when Scott, who
recorded almost all guitars on the Bad Reputation
album himself, used a bunch of 2104 combos
for the recordings. Could be that the open back
gives him a smother tone as well as the mini hums?
scott is not using an ordinary les paul!!!! he is using a 50's conversion les paul with paf's!!!!!!
1959burst
King

Postby disturber on Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:05 pm

[quote="?[/quote] scott is not using an ordinary les paul!!!! he is using a 50's conversion les paul with paf's!!!!!![/quote]

I'm sorry.
I don't claim to be a Les Paul expert. I don't even own one myself.
(I try to stay away from Gibson guitars. They aren't exactly
a "bang for the buck" these days. More shelved out to the
masses to please the stock holders of the company).

I was a Les Paul and it had humbuckers. To me that
is the most common version of the LP. And that
is what i meant with "ordinary". Contrary to
the Les Paul deluxe with mini humbuckers.
It looked like a very nice instrument though.

Again, sorry if I stepped on someones toes.
disturber
Court Jester

Postby 1959burst on Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:32 pm

disturber wrote:[quote="?
scott is not using an ordinary les paul!!!! he is using a 50's conversion les paul with paf's!!!!!![/quote]

I'm sorry.
I don't claim to be a Les Paul expert. I don't even own one myself.
(I try to stay away from Gibson guitars. They aren't exactly
a "bang for the buck" these days. More shelved out to the
masses to please the stock holders of the company).

I was a Les Paul and it had humbuckers. To me that
is the most common version of the LP. And that
is what i meant with "ordinary". Contrary to
the Les Paul deluxe with mini humbuckers.
It looked like a very nice instrument though.

Again, sorry if I stepped on someones toes.[/quote] you didn't step on anyones toes but i thought it was amusing "ordinary les paul" i'm anal about the facts when it comes to gear.
1959burst
King

Next

Return to Signature Tones